CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP!! - 2000 Mercedes CLK 200 - Battery Dead, and cant get Trunk / Boot open!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
magLipVE
marcus what program did you use to get that color picture? i think i want tha tnow
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG
Hey Redi,

It's from the pdf of the owners manual.

cheers
Old 04-18-2011, 03:14 PM

clk 430
Turn it to the left, counterclockwise, while pushing in, that worked for me.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM

clk 430
Originally Posted by lowphat
I've had the same problem before -

I used the long thin metal "mechanical key" that slips into and out of the the remote opener to unlock the trunk. It took a LONG time for the stupid rear mechanical lock to finally unlock the trunk - I don't remember which way I turned it but I do remember that it helped to press down on the top of the trunklid as I turned the lock mechanism to get it to unlock. I also recall that since that little metal "key" has no real handle on it it was difficult to get the thing sunk all the way into the lock mechanism.

It definitely took MANY tries and it seemed like the mechanism would never do its job but keep trying, pushing down on the lid, sinking it in all the way and turning (sounds like something for your girlfriwne but I'm serious)

Good luck
counter clockwise, while pushing in, that worked for me.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM

merc clk
i just had the same problem with my 2000 clk. I couldnt get into boot to access the battry. like everyone else my bloody boot lock would not work with key either (i thaught it was just a faulty lock i had), i tried wd40 spent ages at it and like the other guy my jump leads were in the boot. I borrowed another set of jump leads and done what was suggested above by trying to jump from the front engine area, I found the little black box with the X on it cant miss it once you see it you will know you have the right box. Its on the right hand side as you look at the engine up towards the windscreen (mines a right hand drive so passanger side for mine) There were 2 wires in the box i hooked the positive lead up to the bigger wire the bottom one of the 2 with the bigger nut and the negitive to any metal part of the engine that will earth i used a circular type metel bit sticking up in the top centre area attached to the top of the block in the centre as you look in. This worked a treat first i poped the boot then i tried jumping from these contacts to see if they would work rather than reconnect to the battry and it worked straight away so thanks guys you bailed out another desprate Dan hopefully this thread and the input can help out others like me in the future. heads up this works your stress can end now go open the bonnet and be happy

P.S refer to j lucas and marcus F earlier posts in this thread they are bang on.

Thanks J lucas your spot on and thanks marcus F your picture with red arrow is were the box with the x is too even though the engine isnt an exact pic of mine (plus its not always the drivers side im from Ireland and its the passanger side over here)

Last edited by Pimpsy; 07-07-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM

CLK500
I have a CLK500 with a similar flat battery problem. It's a later model, so the battery is under the hood (or bonnet as we say in the UK). I can't get into the drivers door as my key turns but does nothing and I've tried the WD40 drenching and press and turn etc to no avail.

I can get into the trunk (or boot as we say in the UK) so you might think that's the problem solved. It isn't, because I'm not small or agile enough to crawl in through the rear and pull those levers from inside.

So my idea was to trickle charge through the trunk / boot light. My question is does anyone know if this is a simple circuit (battery, fuse, switch, bulb) or is there anything that the low-power charger could damage? I ask this because with some of the bulbs there is a dashboard warning when they fail and I wouldn't want to put any power through that circuitry.

Best regards,

Daniel

Last edited by danielt; 11-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Could you enlist the help of a neighbor's kid or a woman in a miniskirt? (but no combinations, a neighbors kid in a miniskirt shouldn't be crawling through while you watch. That might cause issues.)
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Danielt

Sorry to hear about your locked car and the battery is in the front. Fortunately though (or unfortunately depending on whcih way you see it ) Our CLKs are dead easy to break into!

Just use a long piece of wire like a coat hanger and make a small loop hook on one end then push it through to the other side door and you can hook onto the door handle and pull open takes seconds.! Because our cars have the rubber edge on the windows and not a frame it shoud'nt damage a thing!

PS if you guys have the battery in the trunk and its locked , do as others have said and just use the front connector on the right side of the engine to power up. easy.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 AM

w208
Sorry if this topic has been beat to death.. both currently and in the past.. but I was wondering if anyone could help me out. One morning last week, I opened up my trunk and put a work bag in it before I went to work. After about 20 mins, I got to work, parked the car, but I couldn't get the trunk to open with either the remote or the inside release.

When I got back home, here's what I tried:
1. WD-40 and the metal blade key. Finally got the thing to turn after about an hour and nearly breaking the key. Searching the forums, I've read two different methods: turning the key to the left before pushing it in or pushing it in and then turning left. Which way is correct? Either way, I couldn't get it to work. Its supposed work when you turn it to 9 o'clock right? I'm afraid to break it in the hole if I turn it further.

2. "Jump starting" the trunk using the method explained previously in the thread. I've done this before when my battery died but it isn't working this time.

Neither of these worked. Does anyone have any other ideas before I give up and bring it to the stealership? Is there a way to open it from the inside? One side of my back seat is unlocked so I can get through from there. But its a 99 CLK 430 and I don't think theres an emergency trunk release. Also, I noticed a couple of times when I stuck the key and even the WD-40 straw in the key hole, the doors locked.. so the electronics are working.. but is that normal..? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 AM

CLK 430
Thank you J Lucas great help. Same problem boot lock seazed no power, next problem is finding out why new battery went flat......
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 AM

Merc C180 Espirit Auto
Same Problem Here. HELP!

Hi Guy's.

I have a similar problem. (And yes I have read through the whole thread). My car is a rusty but faithful 99 Merc C180 Espirit Auto that I use as a winter car. (To save my Chrysler Crossfire Roadster from the salt we use over here). I too have tried for about 2 hours to open the boot (Trunk) without success. I have also opened the bonnet (Hood) to try to locate the "Jump" wire thing. What my car has is a small plastic covered oblong box measuring about 6" by 2" with a X on the top of it. When I took it off it had 3 wires in it. (If memory serves me correctly, 2 of them were kind of joined?). I don't want to put a load of current through the wrong wire and then poss kill the car!! So any idea which of the wires I should attach the jump too? There is also a much larger box near nearer the windscreen that I have not opened but this also has a z type electrical symbol on it?? Any advice appreciated.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
All the Merc's i've had have the jump start option in the engine. Open the little black plastic box lid and you'll see that there are two or more wires joined together, it doesnt' matter therefore how you connect your jump leads as they are linked.
If you connect your leads you can then go into the car and pop the trunk from the inside switch, you can even start the car and drive without a battery as the alternator will provide the current from the alternator when running.
When you do get the battery back in the car, perform the result procedure:

Preparation Steps:
1. Make sure your steering wheel is not turned to either side.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed
4. make sure your parking brake is released
6. Turn off your stereo.
7. Make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code
8. Turn off your heat/AC blower
9. Turn off your lights
10. Make sure your door are UNLOCKED.
11. READ THE WHOLE PROCEDURE BEFORE GETTING STARTED

Disconnect battery 30 secs.
Turn the key to position 2 (DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE)

1. Reseting your windows:. Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down. This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory. Do the same closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg. by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the ECU

3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stero code. ify oud dont have it. you can forget about listening to the radio.

4. pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then donw

6. Turn all you lights on and off, including your fog lights

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP systems must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT. then bring it back to the midle. Notice the two yellow lights desapear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on.. you are basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.
Attached Thumbnails HELP!! - 2000 Mercedes CLK 200 - Battery Dead, and cant get Trunk / Boot open!-20_1534956_717200513004pm.jpg  
Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 AM

Merc C180 Espirit Auto
Many Thanks

Wow. Many thanks for that. When you say the windows do you mean all 4 windows? (My car is a an old 4 door C class). So in essence ANY of the wires in the box marked X will do? Not that simple is it. Glad I got this infor off you my friend!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:23 AM

02 CLK 55AMG
If memory serves me correctly running the car without a battery in the circuit will probably fry the alternator ?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 AM

Merc C180 Espirit Auto
Some Progress

Hi Everyone.

Well after following everyones kind advice I have managed to get my old C180 going.........kind of going. I gave up with trying to open the boot (Trunk) with the metal key, and instead used some jump leads and a new battery to put a charge through the box marked X under the bonnet. (hood).Then used the internal boot release to open the boot, and then fitted the new battery and it runs! Couple of issues though. The car has been stood for about 5 months without being run in any way. I put some fresh fuel in it, and ran it for about 30 mins, and whilst it ran and would tick over, it would not rev past about 4000 rpm, and when I took it out for a quick run, it struggled to get above 30mph with my foot hard on the accelerater. (Kind of felt like a coil or something was breaking down?). As I say it ran, just not very well! I have noted the guidance for "Re setting" the ECU ETC, however my car has an electric type key to start it, so I don't seem to be able to follow the advice because of this. Am I missing something?(EG Windows will go down using the cars internal switches BUT will not go back up! Unless I use the ignition key function!) Anyway have got a Haynes manaul on the way so i hoping that will shed some light on the situation. Cheers
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM

mercedes clk 230
Battery out of trunk and boot locked

Hi, I have followed this thread just in case and now have the same trouble !! The wd40 is not working so I want to connect the battery under the hood.

I have attached two picture files showing what I believe to be the connection point. Is this correct ?
Attached Thumbnails HELP!! - 2000 Mercedes CLK 200 - Battery Dead, and cant get Trunk / Boot open!-steve-iphone-3gs-18-feb-006.jpg   HELP!! - 2000 Mercedes CLK 200 - Battery Dead, and cant get Trunk / Boot open!-steve-iphone-3gs-18-feb-005.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 AM

ML 320
I have a CLK 320. After 2 weeks, the battery would go flat. After great expense with Benz mechanics, I discovered a black box under the electric seats. They were both draining the battery. Set the seat into a driving position, disconnect the black box by puling the plug out; and 2 years later, there've been no more problems.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:48 AM

2002 clk320 2000 ml320
Smart key will not turn in the ignition HELP!

hello i hope someone can help me. My 2002 clk320 key will not turn in the ignition...just out of the blue. Changed the batteries in the key and still will not start. The car battery dose not seem to have juice....if the car battery is dead will it cause the key to not turn tge ignition? Also what other ways can i tell uf the battery is dead?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM

1998 Mercedes Benz CLK 320
Originally Posted by Naqruf
hello i hope someone can help me. My 2002 clk320 key will not turn in the ignition...just out of the blue. Changed the batteries in the key and still will not start. The car battery dose not seem to have juice....if the car battery is dead will it cause the key to not turn tge ignition? Also what other ways can i tell uf the battery is dead?
Nagruf I just had the same thing happen to my CLK 320. Smart key wouldn't start because of drained battery, simply charge the battery with a charger or head over to Pep Boys, Autozone, etc they'll charge if for you for free as a courtesy. Reinstall, start right up.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 PM

Mercedes CLK 320
Hi there, I have a 1997 CLK 320 with this very problem. As mine is a very old CLK, does mine have the X terminal in the front, under the hood? Also, does anyone have a surefire way to get the key to work in the boot/trunk?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:40 PM

CLK 320
Opening Trunk

Thanks Lucas, worked perfectly for my CLK 320. I was nervous as to which lead to use from my charger. The leads are Black at the post, but I used the positive from my charger and it was correct.

As battery was completely dead, I will use A1EK checklist to reset everything.

Thanks for the info guys.