CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

cleaner for yellowing light covers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
cleaner for yellowing light covers?

I know some guys have complained about the plastic "yellowing" on their headlights. I came across this website while looking for something completely different. I personally don't know if the stuff would work but that's what they advertise it to do....

"How Does The JANVIL PLASTIC RESTORE SYSTEM Work?

Our Plastic Restore products are a proprietary blend of lubricants and abrasives formulated specifically for repairing, revitalizing and protecting plastic surfaces. A scratch is removed from a damaged surface by the abrasives that remove the material surrounding the scratch. By polishing a scratch, the damaged area is spread over a larger area which optically removes the appearance of the scratch.

The JANVIL Plastic Scratch Removal System is designed to improve and revitalize the appearance of scratched, yellowed, and weathered looking plastic surfaces. Great for use as an add on service for any auto repair company."

http://www.scratchpolish.com/plastic_restoration.htm
Old 08-28-2005, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Just quit peeing on your lights.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Actually, it just looks like any other polish out there that contains a mild abrassive to smooth out the swirls/scratches. But I haven't had that much experience polishing plastics, so not really sure how much different it is than a regular polish JT..
Old 08-28-2005, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK/ML
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Actually, it just looks like any other polish out there that contains a mild abrassive to smooth out the swirls/scratches. But I haven't had that much experience polishing plastics, so not really sure how much different it is than a regular polish JT..
The weird thing is mine were on since 99 and clear as new. Is it a regional thing? You guys are probably breathing that crap in.....
Old 08-28-2005, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
The weird thing is mine were on since 99 and clear as new. Is it a regional thing? You guys are probably breathing that crap in.....
Chicago is worse than Bloomington! Naw, but mine are clear and clean....
Old 08-28-2005, 09:40 PM

00 clk 320 and 3 hondas. Darn I am down to 4 cars.
Back in the days of plastic aircraft model building I used to sand the clear plastic canopies to make them look thinner, more to scale.
To make them look clear again, I would start with 240 grit sand paper, then 600 then 1000 and finally 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, always using water.
After I was done sanding I polished the plastic with Mother's aluminum polish and a dremmel tool. The plastic always came out super shinny and clear. Depending on how deep the yellowing on the plastic goes, you might have to be a little agressive in the sanding to get rid of the deteriorated plastic.
After you have the plastic looking clear again, I would paint them with automotive clear coat paint (2 part) which blocks most of the UV rays.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 AM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Chicago is worse than Bloomington! Naw, but mine are clear and clean....
Right....so are mine as you know. Just saying I know some people out there have complained about it. I agree though. The stuff is probably no different from about 200 other products.