CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problem At WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2005 | 11:43 PM

CLK430
Angry Problem At WOT

I got my 430 back today from the dealership for a service (oil change, and stuff like that). I also had them look over my check engine light that had been going off and on for the past month or so, the car hasn't been performing at its full potential. They told me that it was a faulty mass air flow sensor, so they replaced it. I just got home from cruising around for a little, and on the highway I decided to gun it to see if she would perform better. She defiantly did, but after gunning it a few times on a long stretch I decide to do it one last time. This last time I had the throttle at WOT, 2 seconds into it the engine just cut off for a brief moment and I let off the gas immediately. My car acts fine at all throttle positions except at WOT with the kick down petal depressed. I tried it a couple more times, it does it again. Has anyone ever had this problem? It seems as though only when the kickdown petal is activated for 2 seconds the engine cuts off and starts back up again. If I hold it at WOT and ignore the engine cut offs it still goes, but there is a problem. Do you think the MAF just needs more time to break in? Any comments?
Old 09-15-2005 | 10:51 PM

CLK430
anyone. I drove my car today and it's still doing it.
Old 09-16-2005 | 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Never heard of it before.

You can try to disconnect the battery for a while to reset the ECU if you think that might be the problem.
Old 09-17-2005 | 02:44 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Check your private messages.
Old 09-17-2005 | 06:21 PM

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to keep the kickdown button depressed for an extended period of time. Think about it, you press it once and it shifts into a lower gear. Keep it pressed and what do you think the car is gonna try to do? I say press it until shifts then let off of it just enough so that it's not depressed anymore.
Old 09-17-2005 | 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by TresX
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to keep the kickdown button depressed for an extended period of time. Think about it, you press it once and it shifts into a lower gear. Keep it pressed and what do you think the car is gonna try to do? I say press it until shifts then let off of it just enough so that it's not depressed anymore.
You can keep it depressed for as long as you want just don't run out of road!
Old 09-19-2005 | 11:26 AM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK320 / 2003 WRX Wagon
My clk320 does something very similar. If you start off accelerating at a normal rate to about 10 to 20 mph and then floor it past the kickdown the car runs into the rev limiter in first as it is trying to shift into 2nd. The engine cuts our for about half a second and the car jerks into 2nd and acceleration resumes.

I got a new car under the lemon law in 99 when MB was not aware of this.
The new car I got did the same thing until I got my powerchip. I think they bumped up the shift point a little and I can't replicate the problem anymore.
Old 09-19-2005 | 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by B-Mac
My clk320 does something very similar. If you start off accelerating at a normal rate to about 10 to 20 mph and then floor it past the kickdown the car runs into the rev limiter in first as it is trying to shift into 2nd. The engine cuts our for about half a second and the car jerks into 2nd and acceleration resumes.

I got a new car under the lemon law in 99 when MB was not aware of this.
The new car I got did the same thing until I got my powerchip. I think they bumped up the shift point a little and I can't replicate the problem anymore.
What did powerchip do to solve the problem? They worked on mine but it still does it.
Old 09-20-2005 | 11:22 AM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK320 / 2003 WRX Wagon
Maybe nothing now that you mention that. I assumed that they have bumped up the rev limiter a little bit. I only said that they fixed it because I have not had it happen since I got the powerchip. Now I am worried that it will still happen. I thought when I asked them about removing the top speed limiter that they said they don't do that on MB's but that they do move the rev limiter up a little bit. I might be mistaken.
Old 09-20-2005 | 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
What I've been told is that they move the 1-2 shift point up to equal the others. Apparently, MB holds the 1-2 a couple hundred RPM lower. While this would seem to make the problem worse, it had no negative effect on my car.

To test your car, cruise in D at about 20 MPH. Floor the accellerator and hold it while the car downshifts to first and then upshifts to second. This works for me 9 of 10 times.