CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My seat is stuck! Is there a manual override?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2002 | 06:53 PM

CLK 320
My seat is stuck! Is there a manual override?

I just finished cleaning my CLK and my passanger seat won't move forward or backward. I moved it all the way forward to clean the back seats and when I went to move the seat back it wouldn't budge. It moves up/down and tilts, but it won't go forward or backward.

Is there a way that I can manually override the seat and move it back until I get a chance to visit the dealer?

I assume the fuses are okay since the seat moves in the other directions.
Old 07-20-2002 | 07:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

This has happened to me a few times. I have always managed to fix it before I made it to the dealer, but never remember exactly what I did that fixed it! Check the rails to make sure nothing is blocking them. You may even want to wipe them down with something. Can you get little budges in either way out of it? If I remember correctly, I was able to move back, but not forward past a certain position. If you can't move forward or backward after cleaning it off, you probably disconnected a wire. This should be an easy warranty fix from the dealer.
Old 07-20-2002 | 07:20 PM

CLK 320
I hear little clicking sounds when I push it forward or backward, but the seat doesn't move at all. I assume that means the wire is connected, right?

Nothing is blocking the tracks.

Hmm...maybe I can try calling road side assistance. I need to go out tonight. Right now only a midget can fit in the passanger seat. :-(
Old 07-21-2002 | 01:31 AM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Maybe remove the fuse for a few seconds or the battery cable. Sometimes these things need a good ol' ctrl-alt-del.
Old 07-21-2002 | 09:45 AM

2001 CLK 320
Seat

If I remember right, the last time this happened to me I managed to move the seat back to driving position by pressing the memory button. Oddly, the seat would not respond to the "manual" switches but would respond to memory. After this "reset" no problem. (Although as a precaution I lubricated the seat rails)
Old 04-10-2006 | 11:21 PM

2002 CLK430 AMG COUPE and 2003 SL55 AMG
experiencing this problem now as we speak
had some rather large ppl in the backseat and it was tough for them to get out...and well u know the rest now the passenger seat is stuck in a position where no one can sit
we tried some of these things listed that may be able to fix it but it looks like the car is going in for a warranty fix
anyone have any idea how much it would cost if it wasnt warranty?
Old 04-10-2006 | 11:46 PM

CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
I share your pain.

My friggin Camaro seats were better designed than these. I have had this problem 3 times now and she won't budge this time. I am planning to unbolt them soon and lube the rails to see if that will work. My fuses look fine this time.

Originally Posted by CLK43kaz
experiencing this problem now as we speak
had some rather large ppl in the backseat and it was tough for them to get out...and well u know the rest now the passenger seat is stuck in a position where no one can sit
we tried some of these things listed that may be able to fix it but it looks like the car is going in for a warranty fix
anyone have any idea how much it would cost if it wasnt warranty?
Old 04-11-2006 | 09:22 PM

CLK 320
I hear ya. My seat is still moving, but it sounds like something is holding the seat back closer around the center console, with a low groan/creak when it's moving. Weird thing is that it doesn't make the sound all the time. Last time this happened it ended up getting stuck and I think MB replaced the motor to fix it.

Any insight on what to look for?