CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need help....some kind of leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk
Need help....some kind of leak

What's going on guys. Today I notice this hose was leaking some kind of oil. I traced the hose to the firewall. Can someone tell me what the part in the pic is and what the hose is connected to.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
AC system leaking

That aluminum cannister looks to be your AC dryer/accumulator...a component of your AC system. It prevent liquid refrigerant from being drawn into your compressor and contains a dessicant to attract moisture in the prevention on corrosive acid formation in the system. It also serves as a holding tank for your refrigerant. Enough education...whats wrong........

If the line is leaking, it is most likely a dye that is put into the system to help detect where leaks can occur. Looks to be leaking from one of the crimp points where the hose meets the fitting. The fix it to put a new hose on and have your AC system recharged since your refrigerant has leaked.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by bbearden
That aluminum cannister looks to be your AC dryer/accumulator...a component of your AC system. It prevent liquid refrigerant from being drawn into your compressor and contains a dessicant to attract moisture in the prevention on corrosive acid formation in the system. It also serves as a holding tank for your refrigerant. Enough education...whats wrong........

If the line is leaking, it is most likely a dye that is put into the system to help detect where leaks can occur. Looks to be leaking from one of the crimp points where the hose meets the fitting. The fix it to put a new hose on and have your AC system recharged since your refrigerant has leaked.
Good and quick answer (beat me to it), this forum is great!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Awesome advice!!!! Kudos for being a great asset.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:18 PM

clk
So the stuff thats leaking is the liquid refrigerant? I didn't know refrigerant was oil base. Learn something new everyday. Thanks... Do you guys think the hose replacement is a DIY job?
Old 03-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Almost a Member!

The refrigerant carries a small amount of lubricating oil, which lubes the compressor, along with it, and when you have a leak, oil and refrigerant both leak out of the hose connection, only the oil is visible. This is NOT a DIY job. High pressures are involved and a high efficiency vacuum pump is needed to draw down the system to remove the air and moisture which contaminates the system if allowed to stay in the AC system after the hose is replaced.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:39 PM

clk
Ok....I notice the EC light on my heat/ac control unit won't turn off now. Is this a result of the ac leak?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

More than likely, when the proper AC pressures can't be maintained because of a lack of refrigerant (leak), the compressor will not be allowed to engage, this prevents possible damage to compressor until the AC system can be repaired.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:20 PM

clk
Cool....I want to replace the hose myself them have a shop replace the refrigerant. Can someone give me the pat number for the hose and some instructions on changing.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Almost a Member!

There are a few good reasons to let a qualified repair shop replace the hose and evecuate & recharge the system. First, if you are not sure of what you are doing as far as replacing the defective hose, you can seriously injure yourself. The residual pressure HAS to be relieved first or you will risk a serious type of "freezer burn" on your hands or if the escaping freon happens to get in your eye, blindness.
Also, if any small amount of grit or dirt gets in the system while replacing the hose, the system can fail. There might be O-rings involved that have to lubed with refrigerant oil only, prior to assembly and lastly, an AC repair shop probably will not guarantee their work because they would have no way of knowing if you contaminated the system when you replaced the hose yourself or if it was installed wrong and not leak proof.The possible problem would not show up until after the work was completed. The risks are not worth it. Having said that, it is your Mercedes and you're free to do with it as you please. Part # for the hose is determined by the model year and engine size of the car.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:01 PM

clk
Thanks for the info....I will take it to the shop this week.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:08 AM

clk
Got everything fixed for $576.00. The shop said replacing the hose was a pain. Glad you guys talked me out of trying it myself. Bring on the heat........
Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by smalldog
Bring on the heat........
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Ready for summer time!!