CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My Check Engine light when on on my 5 week old CLK430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Angry My Check Engine light when on on my 5 week old CLK430

I was driving this afternoon to go pic up a cupple things and all the sudden i look down at my speed and i see the Check Engine light on, So i pulled over and shut the car for a minute or 2. Started it and it was still on. Then i got out to make sure the gas cap was on ok, and it was. So i tured the car on again and it was still on. I shut it on last time and waited..... and it still came back on. So i turned around and went home and put the car in my garadge and took my C230k out instead. I did not want to take any chances. I now have to wait till monday to bring it to the dealer. i have had the check engine light come on, on my old ML430 alot and i was always at the dealer. But i have not had one of my cars have it light up till now. I was supose to go out with this hot girl tonight and i wanted to take the CLK really bad. I will take the C230 but i am still mad. I only have the car for 5 weeks. Well since i cant bring the car in till monday i wont use it till then. But is there anything else i could check? or do? Or should i just wait and let the dealer do it all.
What can be wrong that made the check engine light go on?
And if it went on in your car would u do the same thing as me and not drive it?

thanks
Old 08-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
thanks for all the replys everyone.

J/K
Old 08-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, sorry for not replying. I've been busy with the Neowerkes show.

The Check Engine light can come off for a variety of reasons, and until the ECU is scanned, there is no way to know. Take it to the dealership as soon as you can. It may be something minor or important. Or it may be nothing at all. But you won't know until you have the car scanned.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2002, 10:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Mach430
Hey, sorry for not replying. I've been busy with the Neowerkes show.

The Check Engine light can come off for a variety of reasons, and until the ECU is scanned, there is no way to know. Take it to the dealership as soon as you can. It may be something minor or important. Or it may be nothing at all. But you won't know until you have the car scanned.

Good luck!
No need to apologize. But i do appreciate the reply.
By the way how was the Neowerkes show? I wish it would have been in Florida.

So since there not much for me to do i did not drive the car yet. So i will bring the car in first thing tomarrow mouring. I hope its nothing serious. But i do have about a 35-45 minute drive to the dealer. so i hope it goes ok.

And i hope they dont need to keep my car to long.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Neowerkes was awesome! The only drawbacks were that it was 105 degrees, and I haven't slept in a couple days. I'll write more tomorrow, I need to get some sleep!

Call your dealer before you go down there, they may come to you as part of their roadside assistance package.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 320
Exclamation check engine light

My check engine light came on a couple of times in the past few months. I did the same as you where I checked the gas cap and the like. It would stay on a couple of days and then would go out again. I work out of town during the week so it was hard for me to get the car to the dealership, but I finally got it there for my B service. Turns out an oxygen sensor was out of commission. Didn't seem to be a big deal and it was replaced under warranty. I haven't had any other problems. Since the car seemed to be running fine, I still drove it, but unlike you, I didn't have other options. Hope the dealer has good news for you. If the car was running fine, I'm sure it won't be a big deal.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Mach430
Neowerkes was awesome! The only drawbacks were that it was 105 degrees, and I haven't slept in a couple days. I'll write more tomorrow, I need to get some sleep!

Call your dealer before you go down there, they may come to you as part of their roadside assistance package.
Ok good i would like to hear more about the show.

by the way my dealer said they would not come to me for the check engine light.

Well about today, I went to the dealer this mouring and i was talking to my service rep about it and i convinced him to take it right away. So i waited about 10 min. and then i see my car being pulled up and my service rep. said i was ready to go. I asked what was wrong and he said all that was wrong was something from like when i put gas in and may have topped off the pressure could have caused some charcaol the the something i had no idea what he said. Well anyway he said it was fine but to prevent it i should just stop pumping gas after it clicks. Which i never did alot of but i always pumped till it was an even amount. I was pretty suprised that that was the problem but i was happy when i drove home with no check engine light.

I went out to dinner before and as i was comming home i look down and see the CHECK ENGINE light on again. So now i dont know what the hell is goin on. The car seems to be drving fine but i dont want to keep driving with the check engine light on again. . I will call the dealer tomarrow and ask what they reccomed. What would any of u say? i was just there and now i have to go back? it did not see like they found a real problem but u NEVER know with them.

Originally posted by cweaver680
My check engine light came on a couple of times in the past few months. I did the same as you where I checked the gas cap and the like. It would stay on a couple of days and then would go out again. I work out of town during the week so it was hard for me to get the car to the dealership, but I finally got it there for my B service. Turns out an oxygen sensor was out of commission. Didn't seem to be a big deal and it was replaced under warranty. I haven't had any other problems. Since the car seemed to be running fine, I still drove it, but unlike you, I didn't have other options. Hope the dealer has good news for you. If the car was running fine, I'm sure it won't be a big deal.
How many times did it take for them to figure out it was the oxygen sensor. I wonder if thats whats wrong with mine since the lights back on.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
What was the final outcome?

RJC
Old 08-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by RJC
What was the final outcome?

RJC
Its funny u asked that today because i just brought it in this mourning. After they told me they hooked it up to the computers, took apart the gas tank, and a cupple other things they finally found a problem. Well they said all that was wrong was the Fuel tank sensor. So they replaced it. And took it for a cupple test drives i think about 5 and let it cool for about a half hour each time. Then hooked it up to the computers and found that everything is ok. So luckly i have it back and its driving good now. with no CHECK ENGINE light on. I hope it stays that way.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

It should be fine. The OBDII ECU lets them know exactly which sensor is being referred to by the type of code it sets off. From there, it's just a matter of figuring out why the code is being set off. Good luck!