CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Would you buy a '99 CLK430 w/o warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2002 | 12:31 AM

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Would you buy a '99 CLK430 w/o warranty?

A friend of mine is looking at getting a pre-owned CLK 430 coupe. It has 48-thousand miles on it and is not Star-Marked. Can any of you give me your thoughts on Mercedes reliability, and if you think it's worth investing in this car. The price is 34-grand for a fully loaded car, again, with about 48-K miles.

All your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2002 | 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
fully loaded? the price seems good.

i'd definitely get it checked out completely by a mercedes technician first. clear title? no accidents? maintenance records?

if everything looks good, yeah, i'd get it.
Old 08-13-2002 | 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
You should always be very careful when buying a used car. And as with any car, high miles = wear on engine, and along with that, all other electrical functions with the car.

$34K is a decent price. I've seen some go for 1,000 less and with about 10,000 miles less, but that doesn't come around very often.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Careful visual inspection and test drive the car fairly aggressively, make sure it can handle itself
2. Always ALWAYS run a CarFax report (although not an absolute guarentee, but its a peace of mind)
3. Take it to the dealer and have them run a 'Pre-Sale Inspection'. Have them check for compression, leakage, etc... should run about $200 at your local MB Dealer.
4. Buy an extended warranty. It won't be original MB warranty, but it will help with the repairs, saving you lots of money.

This is just the beginning, there are many other things you should look into, but these few things should not be overlooked.

Hope this helps with your friend's decision.

ps. I would opt for at least the 2000 model if you want a 430. 1999 was the first model year for the 430, and first year model cars tend to have more glitches. Plus, the 2000+ models have some extra goodies inside and out. I'm sure you know most of the changes (ext mirrors, multi func wheel, bird's eye maple, speedo-cluster, Tele-Aid, etc...)
Old 08-13-2002 | 01:04 AM

Originally posted by mmgrad
You should always be very careful when buying a used car. And as with any car, high miles = wear on engine, and along with that, all other electrical functions with the car.

$34K is a decent price. I've seen some go for 1,000 less and with about 10,000 miles less, but that doesn't come around very often.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Careful visual inspection and test drive the car fairly aggressively, make sure it can handle itself
2. Always ALWAYS run a CarFax report (although not an absolute guarentee, but its a peace of mind)
3. Take it to the dealer and have them run a 'Pre-Sale Inspection'. Have them check for compression, leakage, etc... should run about $200 at your local MB Dealer.
4. Buy an extended warranty. It won't be original MB warranty, but it will help with the repairs, saving you lots of money.

This is just the beginning, there are many other things you should look into, but these few things should not be overlooked.

Hope this helps with your friend's decision.

ps. I would opt for at least the 2000 model if you want a 430. 1999 was the first model year for the 430, and first year model cars tend to have more glitches. Plus, the 2000+ models have some extra goodies inside and out. I'm sure you know most of the changes (ext mirrors, multi func wheel, bird's eye maple, speedo-cluster, Tele-Aid, etc...)
Thanks for the great advice. Unfortunately my friend is on somewhat of a tight budget and wants to be not more than 35-grand. Probably a sign he shouldn't be buying a CLK430. He's also considering a Lexus GS400--'99 or a BMW 328 Coupe-2000. But I'm convinced the CLK430, is to gorgeous to pass up.
Old 08-13-2002 | 12:05 PM

CLK, ML, GL
Run a carfax. It will give you the history of the car for a small fee. Just to let you know, I got a call today from my salesman. It is time to order my CLK 500. I am trading a 99 CLK 320 with less than 25k miles and he told me that the dealer would give me 32k for it. Dealers are asking 39k to 40k for this car. Go to www.mbusa.com and do a search. They will list every used Mercedes at every dealership with the asking price. Also talked to a friend that works at my local bank. They use the NADA guide to determine values. Anybody can do that online. It is a free service. There is nothing wrong with the 99 CLK's. My father and I both have one and there have been no problems. Actually they have convinced us to stay with Mercedes and stop experimenting with other cars. Both have been to the dealer for scheduld maintanence and nothing else. Don't hesitate. Just watch the price. Also if you are interested, I have my CLK for sale. 99 CLK 320, 24700 miles, sunroof, sunshade, Black Opal, Ash interior and an incredible stereo that I have $7500 invested. Like I said, dealer is going to give me 32k. First 35k takes it. That is with the stereo. No brainer.
Old 08-13-2002 | 01:18 PM

CLK 430 Coupe + MGF + 1980 Camaro
Thumbs up

if the car has full mb service history can your friend not walk in to an mb dealer and buy the extended warranty?

thatis what you can do in the uk - i would have thought the U.S. would be the same - dealers like to sell warranties for cars that dont go wrong!
Old 08-13-2002 | 03:35 PM

CLK, ML, GL
No, they wont' let you do that here. Everybody would just wait for something to break and then buy the extended warranty. There are other companies besides Mercedes that will sell you an extended warranty. Most of them though, don't want to do it if the car is not under manufactureres wanrranty.

Also, my CLK 320 for sale is still under warranty till the end of the year.
Old 08-13-2002 | 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Just purchased a 99 with 47K, and no, MBUSA nor any dealer I've found will offer an extended warranty ~ can't believe it!! I've done some extensive research over the past few days and have found a few worth buying. If anyone is interested, let me know, I will post my findings. My word of advice is to talk to the Service Manager at your local dealer and find out which companies they have the least amount of problems with. I will be meeting with mine once I narrow down my options, I may even have him call the warranty company with a fake claim to see how much he likes them!! Remember, the service side strives off of guys like us who buy pre-owned, the older the car, the more problems, which equates to more money in their pocket!!
Old 08-13-2002 | 10:27 PM

Originally posted by nickv
Just purchased a 99 with 47K, and no, MBUSA nor any dealer I've found will offer an extended warranty ~ can't believe it!! I've done some extensive research over the past few days and have found a few worth buying. If anyone is interested, let me know, I will post my findings. My word of advice is to talk to the Service Manager at your local dealer and find out which companies they have the least amount of problems with. I will be meeting with mine once I narrow down my options, I may even have him call the warranty company with a fake claim to see how much he likes them!! Remember, the service side strives off of guys like us who buy pre-owned, the older the car, the more problems, which equates to more money in their pocket!!
Definitely keep me/us posted on the models that are reasonable. Regarding the warranty, are you saying theres' NO way to get an extended warranty through Mercedes at all? That seems to be the ONLY warranty that makes sense down the road, so that you can drive to ANY Mercedes dealership to have work done.
Old 08-13-2002 | 11:52 PM

2001 CLK 320
AUL offers a warranty that's fairly comprehensive for around 1200.00. 3yrs/36k miles. Transferrable to a new owner. And Yes, it IS honored at the MB dealer with no problems.

I ended up with one like so.. went to buy car from used car dealer.. called MB and asked if I could buy an extended warranty. Nope. Went and bought car and got AUL warranty because you can take them to any ASE certified mechanic and they'll cover pretty much everything short of normal wear and tear. They pay via credit card over the phone direct to the repair place. None of this pay up front submit forms stuff.

Had car about a week.. Check engine light comes on.

Groan and fret. Take car in for service at MB. They tell me that Yes, I could've gotten an extended warranty but no matter, AUL is a fine aftermarket warranty.. and off I go in my rental.

Nearly six hundred dollars to change two oxygen sensors which is a seventeen dollar part and twenty minutes of installation.

Come back, Warranty covers everything except diagnostic computer reading and off I drive.

http://www.aulcorp.com/

Regards,
-Bouncer-

Last edited by Bouncer; 08-13-2002 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2002 | 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Bouncer
AUL offers a warranty that's fairly comprehensive for around 1200.00. 3yrs/36k miles. Transferrable to a new owner. And Yes, it IS honored at the MB dealer with no problems.

I ended up with one like so.. went to buy car from used car dealer.. called MB and asked if I could buy an extended warranty. Nope. Went and bought car and got AUL warranty because you can take them to any ASE certified mechanic and they'll cover pretty much everything short of normal wear and tear. They pay via credit card over the phone direct to the repair place. None of this pay up front submit forms stuff.

Had car about a week.. Check engine light comes on.

Groan and fret. Take car in for service at MB. They tell me that Yes, I could've gotten an extended warranty but no matter, AUL is a fine aftermarket warranty.. and off I go in my rental.

Nearly six hundred dollars to change two oxygen sensors which is a seventeen dollar part and twenty minutes of installation.

Come back, Warranty covers everything except diagnostic computer reading and off I drive.

http://www.aulcorp.com/

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Sounds like a GREAT company. How much did the diagnostic run ya? Also, did your warranty cover the car rental? Would there be ANY difference, besides warranty cost, had you bought the Mercedes Extended Warranty? Also, could you really have purchased the extended Warranty through Mercedes???
Old 08-15-2002 | 03:39 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by newsguy

Thanks for the great advice. Unfortunately my friend is on somewhat of a tight budget and wants to be not more than 35-grand. Probably a sign he shouldn't be buying a CLK430. He's also considering a Lexus GS400--'99 or a BMW 328 Coupe-2000. But I'm convinced the CLK430, is to gorgeous to pass up.
mmgrad's advice 100%

if it is me i would get the 2000 328CI...hehe...why? because i use to drive a 2000 328CI before i got my C32.

if ur friend decide to get a 2000 328CI ther are few things that he should watch out for. (i'm listing what happened on my 328CI)

1. on the driver side, the door seal rub against the rear of the door panel causing the rubber seal worn out very fast. i had the seal changed twice and door panel re-installed once, but still didn't solve the problem.

2. the electric trunk release was replaced because sometimes it won't close or open. the problem was solved after replacement

3. the moon roof inside panel was complete detached from the rail after few months of usage. problem solved after replacing a broken hinge.

4. rear panel inside the car was lose and making clicking sound when the BASS was strong. i never had it fixed because i couldn't find time to do so.

other than these four that i have listed there were no other problems at all with the car. the engine sounds great and it handles the corners like a sports car.
Old 08-15-2002 | 09:56 AM

2001 CLK 320
In no particular order..
The computer diagnostic was 144.00 and is not covered. Frankly I wish we could bring our own ODBII readouts but of course that's not permitted. :/

The MB rep is the one who told me I was eligible for a MB extended warranty. My car was Starmark Certified, but then sold at Auction to the independent import dealer I bought it from. It might be a special case. All I can tell you is that when I called before I had the car they said no, but the MB service consultant told me yes.

I'm honestly not sure if AUL covers the rental or not. I think they do, but then again, MB didn't charge me for it since they made a mistake that cost me an extra day in the shop.

As for coverage you can compare this list to the MB Extended warranty list.. mind you, I have no idea what commission dealers make on these warranties.

You have three levels of warranty:
Classic- Basic
Vintage-Extended
Estate-Full

It's a MB, so I purchased the Estate.

Engine:

All internally lubricated parts. Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, fuel pump, internal timing gears or chain, camshaft, camshaft bearings, valve lifters, rocker arm assemblies and push rods, valve guides, pistons and rings, wrist pins, connecting rods, distributor drive gear. The engine block and cylinder heads are covered if damage is caused by mechanical failure of an internally lubricated part.

Engine (Rotary):

All of the above listed parts plus rotors, rotor chamber, eccentric shaft and bearings.

Transmission:

The internal parts of the manual transmission or automatic transmission and torque converter. The automatic or manual transmission case is covered if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Drive Axle Assembly (Front or Rear):

Drive axle housing including pinion bearings, side carrier bearings, ring and pinion gears, carrier assembly, thrust washers, axles, axle bearings, constant velocity joints, and drive axle housing, if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Transaxle Assembly:

Ring and pinion gears, drive chain and gears, carrier bearings, and bushings. Transaxle housing is covered, if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Power Steering:

Steering gear box, pump housing, rack and pinion, control valves, bearings and shafts.

Basic Electrical:

Alternator/generator, starter motor, front wiper motor.

Seals and Gaskets:

Seals and gaskets are covered when replaced in conjunction with a covered repair or if the “Seals and Gaskets Coverage” option has been selected.

CLASSIC COVERAGE – FOUR/ALL WHEEL DRIVE PARTS

All CLASSIC COVERAGE, plus: Internal parts including bearings, bushings, sprockets, chains, sleeves, and gears (excluding electrical items).

The transfer case is also covered if damage is caused by a failure of an internally lubricated part.

VINTAGE COVERAGE - AIR CONDITIONING AND HI-TECH ELECTRICAL

Air Conditioning:

All CLASSIC COVERAGE above, plus: Compressor, condenser, evaporator, expansion valve, and receiver drier. NOTE: If the air conditioning system is unable to be repaired because of the unavailability or restriction of CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) due to the Federal Mandate, then the Administrator does not have any further obligation for repair of the air conditioning system under this service contract.

In addition, there is no obligation to install a retrofit kit in the vehicle that would require the use of any alternate to CFCs.

Hi-Tech Electrical:

All CLASSIC COVERAGE above, plus: Voltage regulator, distributor, solenoids, manually operated switches, electronic level control compressor including its sensor and limiter valve, electronic fuel injection sensors and injectors, electronic ignition module, power window motors, rear window heating elements, power mirror motors and controls, power seat motors, and power door locks.

ESTATE COVERAGE - BRAKES, FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION, AND COOLING

All CLASSIC and VINTAGE COVERAGE as listed above, plus:

Brakes:

Master cylinder, power brake cylinder, vacuum assist booster, hydro boost, disc brake caliper, wheel cylinders, compensating valve, brake hydraulic lines and fittings, and hydraulic control unit. The following ABS Components are covered: Electronic control processor, wheel speed sensors, hydraulic pump/motor assembly, pressure modulator valve, isolation dump valve, and accumulator.

Front/Rear Suspension:

Upper and lower control arms, control arm shafts and bearings or bushings, upper and lower ball joints, radius arm and bushings, torsion bars and mounts or bushings, stabilizer bars, links and bushings, struts, strut bearing plates, spindle and spindle support, wheel bearings, variable dampening suspension, compressor, control module, actuator, solenoid, height sensor, and mode selector switch.

Cooling:

Engine cooling fan and motor, fan clutch, belt tensioner, radiator, heater core, water pump, thermostat, blower motor, and hot water valve.

Seals and Gaskets:

This coverage option is included on vehicles with less than 100,000 miles at Vehicle Purchase/Effective date.

As you can see.. it's a bet. I'm betting 1200.00 that at least some of this stuff will go wrong before the car see's 86000mi. (50k + 36k warranty coverage). Given that the oxy sensors had to be replaced within ten days of owning the car, and given that the little 900mi to service interval message is appearing I have a real feeling I'm going to win my bet. Even if I don't, I've bought peace of mind. I'm covered for anything significant anywhere I am. Worth it to me to not have to think about it again.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

Last edited by Bouncer; 08-15-2002 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-16-2002 | 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Bouncer
In no particular order..
The computer diagnostic was 144.00 and is not covered. Frankly I wish we could bring our own ODBII readouts but of course that's not permitted. :/

The MB rep is the one who told me I was eligible for a MB extended warranty. My car was Starmark Certified, but then sold at Auction to the independent import dealer I bought it from. It might be a special case. All I can tell you is that when I called before I had the car they said no, but the MB service consultant told me yes.

I'm honestly not sure if AUL covers the rental or not. I think they do, but then again, MB didn't charge me for it since they made a mistake that cost me an extra day in the shop.

As for coverage you can compare this list to the MB Extended warranty list.. mind you, I have no idea what commission dealers make on these warranties.

You have three levels of warranty:
Classic- Basic
Vintage-Extended
Estate-Full

It's a MB, so I purchased the Estate.

Engine:

All internally lubricated parts. Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, fuel pump, internal timing gears or chain, camshaft, camshaft bearings, valve lifters, rocker arm assemblies and push rods, valve guides, pistons and rings, wrist pins, connecting rods, distributor drive gear. The engine block and cylinder heads are covered if damage is caused by mechanical failure of an internally lubricated part.

Engine (Rotary):

All of the above listed parts plus rotors, rotor chamber, eccentric shaft and bearings.

Transmission:

The internal parts of the manual transmission or automatic transmission and torque converter. The automatic or manual transmission case is covered if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Drive Axle Assembly (Front or Rear):

Drive axle housing including pinion bearings, side carrier bearings, ring and pinion gears, carrier assembly, thrust washers, axles, axle bearings, constant velocity joints, and drive axle housing, if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Transaxle Assembly:

Ring and pinion gears, drive chain and gears, carrier bearings, and bushings. Transaxle housing is covered, if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.

Power Steering:

Steering gear box, pump housing, rack and pinion, control valves, bearings and shafts.

Basic Electrical:

Alternator/generator, starter motor, front wiper motor.

Seals and Gaskets:

Seals and gaskets are covered when replaced in conjunction with a covered repair or if the “Seals and Gaskets Coverage” option has been selected.

CLASSIC COVERAGE – FOUR/ALL WHEEL DRIVE PARTS

All CLASSIC COVERAGE, plus: Internal parts including bearings, bushings, sprockets, chains, sleeves, and gears (excluding electrical items).

The transfer case is also covered if damage is caused by a failure of an internally lubricated part.

VINTAGE COVERAGE - AIR CONDITIONING AND HI-TECH ELECTRICAL

Air Conditioning:

All CLASSIC COVERAGE above, plus: Compressor, condenser, evaporator, expansion valve, and receiver drier. NOTE: If the air conditioning system is unable to be repaired because of the unavailability or restriction of CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) due to the Federal Mandate, then the Administrator does not have any further obligation for repair of the air conditioning system under this service contract.

In addition, there is no obligation to install a retrofit kit in the vehicle that would require the use of any alternate to CFCs.

Hi-Tech Electrical:

All CLASSIC COVERAGE above, plus: Voltage regulator, distributor, solenoids, manually operated switches, electronic level control compressor including its sensor and limiter valve, electronic fuel injection sensors and injectors, electronic ignition module, power window motors, rear window heating elements, power mirror motors and controls, power seat motors, and power door locks.

ESTATE COVERAGE - BRAKES, FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION, AND COOLING

All CLASSIC and VINTAGE COVERAGE as listed above, plus:

Brakes:

Master cylinder, power brake cylinder, vacuum assist booster, hydro boost, disc brake caliper, wheel cylinders, compensating valve, brake hydraulic lines and fittings, and hydraulic control unit. The following ABS Components are covered: Electronic control processor, wheel speed sensors, hydraulic pump/motor assembly, pressure modulator valve, isolation dump valve, and accumulator.

Front/Rear Suspension:

Upper and lower control arms, control arm shafts and bearings or bushings, upper and lower ball joints, radius arm and bushings, torsion bars and mounts or bushings, stabilizer bars, links and bushings, struts, strut bearing plates, spindle and spindle support, wheel bearings, variable dampening suspension, compressor, control module, actuator, solenoid, height sensor, and mode selector switch.

Cooling:

Engine cooling fan and motor, fan clutch, belt tensioner, radiator, heater core, water pump, thermostat, blower motor, and hot water valve.

Seals and Gaskets:

This coverage option is included on vehicles with less than 100,000 miles at Vehicle Purchase/Effective date.

As you can see.. it's a bet. I'm betting 1200.00 that at least some of this stuff will go wrong before the car see's 86000mi. (50k + 36k warranty coverage). Given that the oxy sensors had to be replaced within ten days of owning the car, and given that the little 900mi to service interval message is appearing I have a real feeling I'm going to win my bet. Even if I don't, I've bought peace of mind. I'm covered for anything significant anywhere I am. Worth it to me to not have to think about it again.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Sounds like a very safe bet! Thanks for all the info... I'll definitely check out this warranty with other Mercedes Mechanics to get their take...