CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Poor range for remote keyless entry on CLK430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 12:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor range for remote keyless entry on CLK430

Hello everyone,

My '00 CLK430 has a very poor range for the keyless entry system. If I am more than 8 feet away from the car, it only works about 50% of the time and I need to press the button multiple times to get the car to register the command.

I have replaced the batteries just a month ago, and from the Owner's Manual, it only says to replace the batteries when the red LED on the key fob doesn't light up.

So I'm wondering if this might be a problem with the receiver inside the car. Does anyone know where the receiver is located and any thoughts on why this is happening?

How is your keyless entry range for the rest of you? I also own a Lexus and that thing works almost 1/4 mile away. I can be in the 10th floor hotel room and go to the window to unlock the Lexus in the parking lot downstairs!!
Old 08-13-2002, 01:08 PM

CLK 430 Coupe + MGF + 1980 Camaro
range on mine seems to be about 40ft...... but the auto window close appears to be controlled by forces not from this planet.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:05 PM

I had my keys replaced recently because of an ignition problem, and the newer model keys are just as ineffective as the old ones. Depending on the location and line of sight, I sometimes have to be 5 feet or less away from my car to open it. If I've got a clear shot, 40 feet is a possibility, but not likely in a parking garage full of cars.

I think that's why most companies don't use infrared remotes....

Edit- And the window open/close feature... what a pain! The key has to be within 6" or so of the door sensor, and if you move it ever so slightly out of direct view of the sensor, the whole thing stops. So annoying.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
In defense of MB.... here are the details....

The key uses both infrared and radio frequencies.

To lock/unlock/Panic, etc... from the remote, radio frequencies are used.

To open/close windows & sunroof, and start the car, infrared is used.

As with all electronics that emit radio transmissions, you have to be able to accept interferance, etc.... so in a crowded parking lot, you have to expect some interferance, so reception won't be that great.

For those who complain about being 'right-at-the-door' to open/close windows and the such, this is of course a safety feature. Lets say the key is in your pocket/purse and is depressed as you are walking away. You can say goodbye to all your personal belongings. But by requiring you to be in direct line of sight of the infra-red sensors on the door handle, that risk is eliminated.

Its a little inconvenient, but it is for your overall benefit.

Last edited by mmgrad; 08-13-2002 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Almost a Member!

The infrared issue doesn't bother me, since it's only for the window operation.

The RF remote does the keyless entry, and I'm confused as to why a Lexus or Honda remote will work at a range 2 to 3 times further away, in a similar parking situation (crowded lot, etc).

Where does MB put the RF receiver? It almost seems like they've put the receiver at the bottom of the gas tank or something...
Old 08-15-2002, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 CLK350 CAB
Start the Car feature? What model is that available on?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
when you place the key into the ignition, an actual infra-red signal communicates with the car so you can start the car. This is not to be confused with the KeylessGo system. Which is only available on the W209 (2003 CLK).
Old 08-15-2002, 12:30 PM

R129 SL320 '99
Guys, you can open the trunk and doors from 40ft +, so why the problem. In everyday situations, why would you need to open either from 120ft?

If you can only open from 5 ft, I suggest changing the battery first and then going to the dealer if still a problem.

I have had 4 mercs and none have had key problems at all. I have also found the old style keys as good as the new IMHO :p
Old 08-15-2002, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by fudger
Guys, you can open the trunk and doors from 40ft +, so why the problem. In everyday situations, why would you need to open either from 120ft?

If you can only open from 5 ft, I suggest changing the battery first and then going to the dealer if still a problem.

I have had 4 mercs and none have had key problems at all. I have also found the old style keys as good as the new IMHO :p
Believe me, even with the new '02 keys and countless battery changes, I've had times where I had to be less than 5 feet away to even unlock the car. I guess it's interference....
Old 08-18-2002, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
With me I don't care how close I have to get...I"m walking to the car anyways....can't I just wait until I'm closer to open the doors!!! I have poor range also...but it has never bothered me. Only time it angers me is when I'm trying to scare my girlfriend by hitting the panic button. You have to be so damn close that she know what I"m up to and its spoiled. I think the panic button should be further!!! How else am I going to scare people walking next to my car!!!
Old 08-19-2002, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Stiggs
With me I don't care how close I have to get...I"m walking to the car anyways....can't I just wait until I'm closer to open the doors!!! I have poor range also...but it has never bothered me. Only time it angers me is when I'm trying to scare my girlfriend by hitting the panic button. You have to be so damn close that she know what I"m up to and its spoiled. I think the panic button should be further!!! How else am I going to scare people walking next to my car!!!
I can't tell you how many times I've set off the panic alarm... only to have the key not turn it off, so I have to run to the car and pop the key in the ignition. Damn keys .
Old 08-19-2002, 02:44 AM

R129 SL320 '99
Panic alarm!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this part of normal function? If so, how do you do it. If not, still, how do you do it?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
I don't get it either. With my GS, I can open the windows from over 100 ft away, and I can be in any direction.

With the CLK, have to be aimed at the door. What's with this? Has this been changed for the 03' CLK?
Old 08-20-2002, 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

What's annoying is not the range. The annoying part is when you have to keep pressing the button because you *think* you're close enough but you're really not.

It must be Sunspots or something
Old 08-21-2002, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by fudger
Panic alarm!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this part of normal function? If so, how do you do it. If not, still, how do you do it?

Thanks.
You press the red button that says "PANIC."

On the old style keys it was on top- the new ones have a round panic button close to the front of the key.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Originally posted by Newbie

You press the red button that says "PANIC."

On the old style keys it was on top- the new ones have a round panic button close to the front of the key.

lol. Right near the clip that releases the key.