CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Symtoms...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Red face Symtoms...

1) What are the symptoms are of a Crankshaft Position Sensor going bad?

2) What are the symptoms of a Mass Air Flow thingy going bad?

Thanks in advance....
Old 05-17-2006, 07:31 AM

2005 S55 1982 300dt
From what I remember reading on this forum, failed CP sensor results in a no-start condition. Sometimes the car will start if allowed to sit for an hour.
After my MAF finally through codes and I replaced it, I noticed improved acceleration and especially much crisper shifting.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Originally Posted by reitmeid
From what I remember reading on this forum, failed CP sensor results in a no-start condition. Sometimes the car will start if allowed to sit for an hour.
After my MAF finally threw codes and I replaced it, I noticed improved acceleration and especially much crisper shifting.
Pretty much this is correct, the codes on mine were P0170 and P0173 - fuel trim, left and right banks, respectively. It ran a whole lot better afterwards is all I can say. Forgot to add, typically, from what I have seen on this forum...the MAF will illuminate your CEL (Check Engine Light), it did on mine.

My understanding is that yes, if your crank position sensor goes - you're done. I pre-emptively replaced the CPS. Figured with the mileage my car had, it would be a wise idea. They're cheap anyways....both are extremely easy DIY projects. Feel free to contact me with your questions. You'll need the standard e-torx tools for this job. If I remember correctly, you won't even need a tool to remove the MAF.

Last edited by StapleGun; 05-17-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Silver CLK430
Originally Posted by StapleGun
Pretty much this is correct, the codes on mine were P0170 and P0173 - fuel trim, left and right banks, respectively. It ran a whole lot better afterwards is all I can say. Forgot to add, typically, from what I have seen on this forum...the MAF will illuminate your CEL (Check Engine Light), it did on mine.

My understanding is that yes, if your crank position sensor goes - you're done. I pre-emptively replaced the CPS. Figured with the mileage my car had, it would be a wise idea. They're cheap anyways....both are extremely easy DIY projects. Feel free to contact me with your questions. You'll need the standard e-torx tools for this job. If I remember correctly, you won't even need a tool to remove the MAF.
Failing MAF won't necessarily throw codes...a tech can see whether it's performing in the "optimal" range or not and as people have indicated sometimes you just know based on performance, or lack thereof.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:06 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by StapleGun

Man, you guys are great is all I got to say. OK, that confirms what I've been experiencing for the CPS. I'm VERY new to this (only 1 month old now) so I'm nervous about performing repairs. I pick it up from the shop for the CPS in about an hour. They recommended MAFS change but I elected not to for now. I'll get it when I get back from the Caribbean. I MAY be willing to give it a try if you guys talk me into it
Old 05-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Almost a Member!

more power

Does anyone know what the best ecu replacement is and where i can purchase it, and where in the car is it located also would love to install a supercharger does one exist any input would be appreciated thanks.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:03 PM

2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Whodat
Man, you guys are great is all I got to say.
They are great, aren't they!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by cnolen1
Does anyone know what the best ecu replacement is and where i can purchase it, and where in the car is it located also would love to install a supercharger does one exist any input would be appreciated thanks.
Supercharger ey? haha. Get ready to shell out big $$$. Kleemann, renntech, HPS, and HOP are the companies that come to mind when I think s/c. There are many ECU tuning places out there, seems like Powerchip has alot of good reviews but they are pricey. If you want cheaper alternative there are many other ECU tuning companies.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Man, you guys are great is all I got to say. OK, that confirms what I've been experiencing for the CPS. I'm VERY new to this (only 1 month old now) so I'm nervous about performing repairs. I pick it up from the shop for the CPS in about an hour. They recommended MAFS change but I elected not to for now. I'll get it when I get back from the Caribbean. I MAY be willing to give it a try if you guys talk me into it
If you ever want to change your MAF let me know and I'll do it for you in 5 minutes since you are local.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:09 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
If you ever want to change your MAF let me know and I'll do it for you in 5 minutes since you are local.
5 minutes?!?!?!?! Are you SERIOUS!? You DA MAN!

Biz told me the MAF runs around 3 bills ($300) and they'd do it for $560. I thought that was high. By the way, the CPS bill was originally $367 but I complained about the labor estimate (from that stupid labor cost estimate book) @ 3 hours was ridiculous. I'd already heard that the thing only takes about an hour to change out, if that. They knocked off an hour of so they charged me for 2 hours labor, which I know is still questionable. But again, I'm new to this and thanks to this board, Ima be gettin up to speed REAL quick. Again, THANKS!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by CLK430girl
They are great, aren't they!

Maybe I should have said you guys AND LADIES? Sorry, I was unaware that beautiful women were scanning the globe (MB World)! Are you in the DC area as well?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:00 PM

2000 CLK 430
430Lady in MD

Maybe I should have said you guys AND LADIES? Sorry, I was unaware that beautiful women were scanning the globe (MB World)! Are you in the DC area as well?

Yep, I'm in Silver Spring....I've been busy w/ work and I just finished with finals, so I'll be joining the guys in Rockville on the weekends....now, "Bullet"--my car---isn't fancy, but she still gets a lot of attention -- The work you guys put into your vehs makes a girl blush!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Yep, I'm in Silver Spring....I've been busy w/ work and I just finished with finals, so I'll be joining the guys in Rockville on the weekends....now, "Bullet"--my car---isn't fancy, but she still gets a lot of attention -- The work you guys put into your vehs makes a girl blush!!!
Finally! j/k I dont think Im gonna be there tomorrow night cuz my graduation ceremony is during the day and I'll probably be hangin with friends at night. I might roll through.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Finally! j/k I dont think Im gonna be there tomorrow night cuz my graduation ceremony is during the day and I'll probably be hangin with friends at night. I might roll through.
How could I not say:
CONGRATULATIONS ON GRADUATION!!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 10:33 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Are you sure it's your wheels thats getting the attention?
Well, I just got my sled so I'm with you. Nothing fancy but, I like it stock myself. I do admire what the fellas (and ladies!) do to their jonts. Even my mechanic said BlkBenzz's sled is off tha heezy! Maybe we need to divide the Rockville meets into 'Supermods', 'Mods', and 'Stock'!

Last edited by Whodat; 05-18-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:19 PM

2000 CLK 430
How could I not say:
CONGRATULATIONS ON GRADUATION!!!!
Add a second CONGRATS!!! Now, go and make me proud!!! ha,ha..or at least that's what my parents told me!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:26 PM

2000 CLK 430
Are you sure it's your wheels thats getting the attention?
Well, I just got my sled so I'm with you. Nothing fancy but, I like it stock myself. I do admire what the fellas (and ladies!) do to their jonts. Even my mechanic said BlkBenzz's sled is off tha heezy! Maybe we need to divide the Rockville meets into 'Supermods', 'Mods', and 'Stock'!

Well, it could be the endless supply of stiletto heels---you guys spend extra money on your ride, I spend it on shoes Dress and impress...ha,ha.... I'm with you on the division of the Rockville meets..I'm straight stock!! Ahmad is in a class of his own...
Old 05-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Thanks for the congrats! Hope to see some new faces at the meets. Anybody going to NOPI at Budds Creek aka MIR on Sunday? Remembe I was also stock at one point. I have a whole bunch of **** sitting in my basement waiting to be put on (new body kit, brembo gran turismo BBK, and Im about to order a klemann s/c ). Thanks for the compliments on the car but it really doesnt have much done to it. Im probably gonna sell it soon. If we divided people up it wouldnt be much fun now would it?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:13 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Thanks for the congrats! Hope to see some new faces at the meets. Anybody going to NOPI at Budds Creek aka MIR on Sunday? Remembe I was also stock at one point. I have a whole bunch of **** sitting in my basement waiting to be put on (new body kit, brembo gran turismo BBK, and Im about to order a klemann s/c ). Thanks for the compliments on the car but it really doesnt have much done to it. Im probably gonna sell it soon. If we divided people up it wouldnt be much fun now would it?
Just curious...have you changed out your radio or are you still pumpin the OEM deal? I'm not really happy with it (apparently not alone in this assessment) and really can't stand that CD changer in the trunk. Do you know of any REAL GOOD stereo shops in our area?
CLK430girl: feel free to chime in...
Old 05-29-2006, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
i don't know if the 2 original questions were answered, but I can tell you what I experienced about 2 weeks ago when my MAF went bad.....

I was driving on a local road going about 40 MPH, when I slowed down due to a red light, my car just lost power and died. I had to put it in Park, and restart it. EVERY time I would come to a halt either at a stop sign or red light, the car would just die.

I replaced the MAF at my mechanic's shop for $378 out the door, installed, and haven't had any more problems.

There were 2 codes they pulled from their scanner, however, from his experience, he told me that he was 99% sure that once we replaced the MAF, that would take care of the other code as well....which it did =)
Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 AM

2000 CLK 430
Just curious...have you changed out your radio or are you still pumpin the OEM deal? I'm not really happy with it (apparently not alone in this assessment) and really can't stand that CD changer in the trunk. Do you know of any REAL GOOD stereo shops in our area?
CLK430girl: feel free to chime in...
And here I was thinking that I was alone!! I can't stand that BS in the trunk..but I wasn't exactly sure what my "best" options were that wouldn't cause me troubles down the road and I wouldn't have to sell my right arm for...I don't know of any, but anyone that does----feel free to share...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:49 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
And here I was thinking that I was alone!! I can't stand that BS in the trunk..but I wasn't exactly sure what my "best" options were that wouldn't cause me troubles down the road and I wouldn't have to sell my right arm for...I don't know of any, but anyone that does----feel free to share...
Well, get at me if you hear of ANYBODY that does BOMB work. I'll wait to hear from Blkbenzz to see who he knows. Don't want any ole jang-a-lang workin on my sled's sound system....
We all know that the thing interfaces with the steering wheel controls (which I really don't care about. I can reach 12-18 inches to adjust a dam volume control) but I don't want the thing to look like a little sister's of the poor installation jobbie.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:54 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by clkal
i don't know if the 2 original questions were answered, but I can tell you what I experienced about 2 weeks ago when my MAF went bad.....

I was driving on a local road going about 40 MPH, when I slowed down due to a red light, my car just lost power and died. I had to put it in Park, and restart it. EVERY time I would come to a halt either at a stop sign or red light, the car would just die.

I replaced the MAF at my mechanic's shop for $378 out the door, installed, and haven't had any more problems.

There were 2 codes they pulled from their scanner, however, from his experience, he told me that he was 99% sure that once we replaced the MAF, that would take care of the other code as well....which it did =)
Thanks man. It seems to me that the symptoms of the CPS and the MAF are very similar. My CPS has been swapped out but not the MAF (yet). I've not had any problems with it since the CPS change. But riding along and having your wheels conk out on you (in a Benz no less!) ain't kewl AT ALL. It happened to me and it seemed people wanted to thumb they're collective noses at me. Blkbenzz is going to help me do the MAF when I obtain one. He says it only takes 5-10 minutes. Do you know if this requires a computer 'reset'?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:23 PM

2000 CLK 430
Brightened my day!!

Don't want any ole jang-a-lang workin on my sled's sound system....
Whodat, this was the funniest ish I heard all day!!!!! This almost made me cry, b/c I was thinking of Bernie Mac saying it in the movie Life---"The name's Jang-a-lang....Jang-a-lang!" LMAO
Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Whodat, this was the funniest ish I heard all day!!!!! This almost made me cry, b/c I was thinking of Bernie Mac saying it in the movie Life---"The name's Jang-a-lang....Jang-a-lang!" LMAO
Ah, an astute movie watcher I see! That's EXACTLY where that came from...*harhar*

I use it all the time to describe bozos that claim they know what they're doing but, well, you know the results! Then you take it back to them and they act like they didn't mess anything up. I had my cousin's husband put my mom's stereo in (a Chrysler Cirrus). He volunteered to do it. Of course the thing completely drained the battery in like 2 weeks because he hooked it up to a constant power source so essentially, the radio was 'on' ALL THE TIME. Idiot...he installs windshields for a living too. Think I'd get him to do mine? Uh, NO!
Keep smilin!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Symtoms...