CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

whats stronger..epoxy or cold weld?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
whats stronger..epoxy or cold weld?

looking for some ideas to reinforce the body kit.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by CurYousGee
looking for some ideas to reinforce the body kit.
Neither... BTDT and in my experience, both will crack and or peel off if you hit something. If anything, you wanna lay fiberglass on the back side of it after sanding it with rought grit paper.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK/ML
Of course laying layers of anything on the back will alter fitment. I would figure out a way to use cross-bracing or some type of material to create honeycomb reinforcement on the areas that don't come in contact with frame. What is the material of your body kit?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
i was thinking of adding a metal bracket to reinforce the scew holes of the RS bumper. I have one of the first Carlsson replica from bruce, and i epoxy a metal bracket to it and so far its worked out fine. now i have one of felixs new GRFRP RS bumper with the license plate delete, so i was thinking of doing the same but was wondering if there was a better way. I liked epoxy cuz it was flexible, so if i scraped anything it would give a little
Old 06-29-2006, 10:12 AM

CLK/ML
Originally Posted by CurYousGee
i was thinking of adding a metal bracket to reinforce the scew holes of the RS bumper. I have one of the first Carlsson replica from bruce, and i epoxy a metal bracket to it and so far its worked out fine. now i have one of felixs new GRFRP RS bumper with the license plate delete, so i was thinking of doing the same but was wondering if there was a better way. I liked epoxy cuz it was flexible, so if i scraped anything it would give a little
ahh, gotcha. I just used the bracket from my oem bumper. If you're just looking for a bonding agent I would use clear silicone, it's totally flexible and it would mimic the rubber strip on the oem bracket.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
hmm...oem bracket?...i'll take a look after work to see how easily i can remove that bracket. Your car reminds me of mine, but i have different rims and choose to do with out the spoiler.

does the rubber silicone hold well interms of bonding a bracket to the back side of the fiberglass surface, of course the metal bracket would be held down with screw.

Did you also screw in the nut at the corners by the light? for my old RS kit i just have 6 lugs, two at the wheel well, and 4 up in front between the lights...and so far its held on just fine. cuz when i would try to screw in the corner lugs, it would put more stress cracks...so i didnt do it, and i find that putting in only 6 lugs lets the bumper flex a lil more so that it wont crack so much when surprise scrapes come up
Old 06-29-2006, 03:15 PM

CLK/ML
I must be high as a kite. I was thinking of the rear bumper not the front. What I did with the rear was remove the metal and rubber bracket that is held on by plastic tabs. To line the bracket up with the bumper I fitted the bumper without the bracket and drilled 1 hole though the bolt hole openings in the fender into the new bumper. Then I was able to line up the bracket and secure it before drilling the rest of the holes. On the front, I simply attached it exactly as the oem