CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

another wheel question... :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
another wheel question... :)

I looked around but couldn't find a thread that would help me out, and I need some help quick...

I purchased a set of 18" replicas for my CLK (320) off craigslist because I needed some summer tires (putting winter on the stockers, but whatever ). The things are 18x7.5, 35 offset with 225/40 brand new rubber on them.

I got the shorter bolts and all and mounted them, but they're a little wobbly at highway speeds. I got them balanced and checked for bends but they "seem" ok. I think the problem is in the front, since I can put rings in the rear to make sure they're centered on the hub, but they wouldn't fit in the front with rings -- at least not the same size.

Question is... I obviously need rings in the front, right? Or some kind of spacer to make sure they sit right on the hub and not off-center. What/where can I get and how fast can I get it?

Thanks x 3billion!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by viguera
I looked around but couldn't find a thread that would help me out, and I need some help quick...

I purchased a set of 18" replicas for my CLK (320) off craigslist because I needed some summer tires (putting winter on the stockers, but whatever ). The things are 18x7.5, 35 offset with 225/40 brand new rubber on them.

I got the shorter bolts and all and mounted them, but they're a little wobbly at highway speeds. I got them balanced and checked for bends but they "seem" ok. I think the problem is in the front, since I can put rings in the rear to make sure they're centered on the hub, but they wouldn't fit in the front with rings -- at least not the same size.

Question is... I obviously need rings in the front, right? Or some kind of spacer to make sure they sit right on the hub and not off-center. What/where can I get and how fast can I get it?

Thanks x 3billion!
You can try www.evosport.com
Old 08-21-2006, 10:48 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
You can try www.evosport.com
Thanks.

Now I just gotta figure out what the correct spacer would be for my car and my wheels. The set is not staggered, so I'd probably have to get front and back, right? And I suppose it doesn't matter the size since I only need them to make sure the wheels are centered properly... so 5mm would work fine?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 AM

CLK 430 Coupe
what are you measuring?? 5mm thickness?

What size is the centerpiece? ( i think it's called the hub?)
Old 08-21-2006, 11:24 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by Motivation
what are you measuring?? 5mm thickness?

What size is the centerpiece? ( i think it's called the hub?)
I'll have to measure it later and make sure. Like I said I can use those plastic rings in the rear and they seem to fit just fine... and they sure as hell help center the wheel. But on the front it's obvious that I can't use rings, but I'd have to use something to be able to center the wheel properly because otherwise there's a gap of a few mm around the hub.

From the evosport offerings, it looks like the safest bet is their 5mm (10mm total track) kit... http://evosport.com/product/proddeta...HL.SPC.512.610

Unless I'm completely off with what I'm trying to do here...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
I'll have to measure it later and make sure. Like I said I can use those plastic rings in the rear and they seem to fit just fine... and they sure as hell help center the wheel. But on the front it's obvious that I can't use rings, but I'd have to use something to be able to center the wheel properly because otherwise there's a gap of a few mm around the hub.

From the evosport offerings, it looks like the safest bet is their 5mm (10mm total track) kit... http://evosport.com/product/proddeta...HL.SPC.512.610

Unless I'm completely off with what I'm trying to do here...
It couldn't hurt, and I believe it would be better than what you have.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:26 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
It couldn't hurt, and I believe it would be better than what you have.
Yeah that's what I figured too...

I just got an email back from mike @ evosport, so I'm gonna follow up on that. I'll measure the center bore of the wheel and the lugs that I have and see what I need. I have the loooong OEM hubs that came with the stock 16s, and the shorter ones that came with the aftermarket wheels, but I think the spacers would require something in between.

I guess we'll see. Thanks...

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55
Yeah that's what I figured too...

I just got an email back from mike @ evosport, so I'm gonna follow up on that. I'll measure the center bore of the wheel and the lugs that I have and see what I need. I have the loooong OEM hubs that came with the stock 16s, and the shorter ones that came with the aftermarket wheels, but I think the spacers would require something in between.

I guess we'll see. Thanks...

Hey, I just went through an ordeal of finding the right bolts and etc...so just to help you out...here's an informative post
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...lt-length.html

I got my spacers from purems.com, and bolts from otisincla.com

You're gonna want to make sure if your rims need cone seating or ball seating.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:23 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by hhseouljah
Hey, I just went through an ordeal of finding the right bolts and etc...so just to help you out...here's an informative post
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...lt-length.html

I got my spacers from purems.com, and bolts from otisincla.com

You're gonna want to make sure if your rims need cone seating or ball seating.
Thanks. It actually has been quite the adventure trying to find out exactly what to get and from where... much more so than with other cars when I've had to do this...

I wish there was a simple javascript form or something where you could select the chassis, wheel offset, spacer size and hit a button and BAM... you get a shopping list.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:07 AM

CLK 430 Coupe
Thanks. It actually has been quite the adventure trying to find out exactly what to get and from where... much more so than with other cars when I've had to do this...

I wish there was a simple javascript form or something where you could select the chassis, wheel offset, spacer size and hit a button and BAM... you get a shopping list.

Man that would make things so much easier.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:32 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by Motivation
Man that would make things so much easier.
tell me about it... I would do it if I had the data, but apparently that's the hard thing to get...