CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problem With Trunk and convertible top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 320
Problem With Trunk and convertible top

Ok so I've got a 2002 CLK320 convertible, one day the trunk stopped opening with the remote and button inside, while the top was up, but when the top was down the remote and inside button would open the top. Now it won't open it at all, unless i use the manually use the key. Also when I start the car a warning signal beeps for a few seconds then the convertible switch flashes continuously, Also when putting up the top it doesnt seem to latch properly in the rear, it just clicks a few times, and there is no beep to tell you that it is closed. Are these problems interrelated? And if so does anyone have any idea how to fix it? Just wondering because I've been to the dealership alot recently and would rather not make another trip.

Thanks!

Last edited by zgantt; 11-04-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by zgantt
Ok so I've got a 2002 CLK320 convertible, one day the trunk stopped opening with the remote and button inside, while the top was up, but when the top was down the remote and inside button would open the top. Now it won't open it at all, unless i use the manually use the key. Also when I start the car a warning signal beeps for a few seconds then the convertible switch flashes continuously, Also when putting up the top it doesnt seem to latch properly in the rear, it just clicks a few times, and there is no beep to tell you that it is closed. Are these problems interrelated? And if so does anyone have any idea how to fix it? Just wondering because I've been to the dealership alot recently and would rather not make another trip.

Thanks!
Welcome to the site. I have a 2000 430 cab. and had the same problem. It's the trunk lock (well, that was my experience anyway). The problem is interrelated and actually prevented my top from working at all. PM for details. Oh, the stories!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:58 PM

2002 CLK430
I have the exact same problem to the word.
Have you gotten it fixed yet?
Is it a DIY?
Any ideas on cost? (Laybor, Materials)
Old 11-26-2006, 10:42 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Cujonutti
I have the exact same problem to the word.
Have you gotten it fixed yet?
Is it a DIY?
Any ideas on cost? (Laybor, Materials)
Did you post on the 'other' forum website? I gave a brief rundown of what I went thru there. If you have further questions, feel free to PM....
Old 11-27-2006, 12:10 AM

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Whodat
Did you post on the 'other' forum website? I gave a brief rundown of what I went thru there. If you have further questions, feel free to PM....
Yes I did.
Thanks for the input.
I'll let you know when I get it fixed.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:56 PM

CLK430
Hello all, I also have a 02 430 cab. that has similar issues. My top goes up and down without issue and so do the windows, the trunk lock also doesnt function with the inside button or remote. i feel this may be because the car doesnt think the top is closed all the way. Interestingly enough when the top opens it makes a cluck sound as if the latch was understress from closing at the wrong angle. Has anyone adjusted their own latch? i would rather go that route then change the trunk lock. that may be a pain because of the nature of our keys.

Also the "steel" cable under the passenger side of the top appears to have snapped or frayed away. i cant see where it attaches to on the backend replace it.

Last edited by Hitman0187; 12-01-2006 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2006, 04:47 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Your deal sounds like a different issue. Trunk only OR it's not effecting your soft top operation. Do what you feel is right but all I know is, there was a car in my shop ahead of me with the exact same problem (top won't work and the trunk lock not working). That's 2. I know 2 other people that had trunk lock issues as well. That's 4 cars that I know of that had trunk lock issues.
By the way, one of the bozos working on my car adjusted my latch. As a matter of fact, he changed THAT out too, to no avail. And I know he adjusted the 'new' one a few times. I watched him. It still didn't work. I told him to put my shiznit back together, I'm taking it to another guy.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:04 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Here's a link to a helpful thread on a website where mechanics hang out. I really suggest getting yourself an account over there too:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...ht=Convertible

This guys issue was the rear seat headrests/rollbar were not down all the way but it sounds similar to what a couple of you have experienced. Hope this helps!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:14 PM

CLK430
hey thanks for the fast reply, even though this wasnt "my" thread. I am going to start with the adjustment only because it shouldnt be binding on usage anyway. About 20 minutes ago when driving for some eats the warning ding started ringing again and again while driving and would not stop. I finally pulled over and dropped the top and then reclosed it which seemed to have fixed it. I'll do both at this point to not deal with that. What did they do about the lock key matching the doors?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:21 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
I don't ever use the key but the mechanic told me I'd have to go to MB dealership to get a matching key for manual operation. I always open trunk by the switch (probably need to make sure that key works huh?).

Let me be clear here too. I don't blame you for trying other things that could be the culprit. I only posted based on my experience. Again, you seem to be having a sort of different issue, maybe related to that rear deck latch. Either way, I want you to get your joint workin! Check out that link I posted and join. Great site w/all those mechanics hanging out there ('whunter' in particular helped me out with some info).
Old 12-01-2006, 06:34 PM

CLK430
cool, i appreciate it. i look forward to more enjoyable posts and less help im having trouble posts !