CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Factory Stereo questions... fitment/sizes of aftermarket equipment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2007 | 03:43 PM

clk430
Factory Stereo questions... fitment/sizes of aftermarket equipment

I believe my rear deck speakers are blown.. I am pretty sure I read here that replacing the speakers with aftermarket speakers won't work because the OEM ones are amplified.

I'm looking to replace the headunit as well either way.. will I need to rewire the car? will i need to replace all speakers?

What size are the OEM speakers in the rear?

thanks
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

2007 SL55
i changed all my speakers with aftermarket speakers...well i didnt but i got them replaced...u dont have to change them all at once...there are 6 speakers not including tweeters...2 in back 6x61/2 i believe and 4 in front doors one is 6x4 one is 6x61/2...im opretty sure these were the sizes...
Old 01-08-2007 | 11:31 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by NYCLK
I believe my rear deck speakers are blown.. I am pretty sure I read here that replacing the speakers with aftermarket speakers won't work because the OEM ones are amplified.

I'm looking to replace the headunit as well either way.. will I need to rewire the car? will i need to replace all speakers?

What size are the OEM speakers in the rear?

thanks
the bose speakers are 3 ohm so using 4 ohm will drop your power and distort sooner. Doing an amp bypass is only totally needed if your amp is shot. You can change the head unit and use the factory bose amp with a few rca's to the amp on a splice.
Old 01-12-2007 | 07:00 AM

clk430
Originally Posted by The Jury
the bose speakers are 3 ohm so using 4 ohm will drop your power and distort sooner. Doing an amp bypass is only totally needed if your amp is shot. You can change the head unit and use the factory bose amp with a few rca's to the amp on a splice.
thanks

i had a different car with a BOSE system with similar issues, but there was some type of adaptor that people used to buy to make it all work.

What exactly is involved with this splice? Will my quality suffer?

If i was to replace all speakers, will i need to rewire the car?
Old 01-13-2007 | 10:33 AM

clk430
This is what i"m trying to do, i've been searching the forum but the answer is still not clear....

-install new Aftermarket headunit.
-Keep BOSE speakers
-replace ONLY rear deck speakers (As they are blown) with aftmarket ones (since i have a spare set of 6.5"s)

from what i gather i will need a volkswagon adapter to make the headunit work. this will allow me to connect to the bose amp?

also, i will need to replace all wiring if i were to replace all speakers.
Old 01-15-2007 | 11:39 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by NYCLK
This is what i"m trying to do, i've been searching the forum but the answer is still not clear....

-install new Aftermarket headunit.
-Keep BOSE speakers
-replace ONLY rear deck speakers (As they are blown) with aftmarket ones (since i have a spare set of 6.5"s)

from what i gather i will need a volkswagon adapter to make the headunit work. this will allow me to connect to the bose amp?

also, i will need to replace all wiring if i were to replace all speakers.
Don't forget you'll lose your steering wheel controls although I believe some aftermarket HUs have an adaptor to make those work too. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2007 | 09:59 AM

clk430
Originally Posted by Whodat
Don't forget you'll lose your steering wheel controls although I believe some aftermarket HUs have an adaptor to make those work too. Good luck!
My 99 doesn't have steering wheel controls. Doesn't bother me either.

So since people aren't replying, i read up further, everything should work with an aftermarket headunit and factory speakers with a VW adapter right? lol