CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Did Anyone Go From a SLK230 to a CLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Oxford Green BMW 530i SMG
Did Anyone Go From a SLK230 to a CLK?

I have a 2000 SLK230 w/52k miles and I'm sick of tucking my knees under the dash to keep my head from sticking out over the rollbars. I've had 3 SLKs now; so its not like I didn't know when I bought it - I'm not blaming the car. I LOVE the attention it gets. I live a smaller town full of rednecks, so the car definitely sticks out.

I've been looking at E46 BMWs as I've had 2 E36s and 2 E39s, but I'm not convinced I'm ready to step back into another BMW. CLKs are virtually non-existant here so I haven't gotten to sit in one and get a feel for how they drive.

MY SLK is lein-free, so I want to take the money I get from it, and get a CLK without having to finance it. I don't care if its a hardtop or convertible. I've got my eye on a '99 Magma Red CLK320 Convertible w/50k and a black '99 CLK430 w/43k. Both cars have been meticulously maintained, full maint history. The price is close to the same on each car.

To be honest, I'd rather have a 2000 or newer, for the benefit of steering wheel controls, but finding a low-mileaged CLK in what I want to spend isn't easy (I admit I'm a cheap *******, but I refuse to finance a car). That's why both of these '99s are so appealing.

Did anyone else go from a SLK to a CLK? I'm just looking for a comparison in how they drive/handle compared to the SLK. I know in essence its like comparing apples and oranges since its going from a 4 cylinder to a 6/8cylinder. Any input is greatly appreciated.