CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Drive Shaft Flex Joint Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk320
Drive Shaft Flex Joint Help!!!

I have been having this annoying vibration as of late while stopped in drive since I hit this pothole. I narrowed the vibration down to my tranny mount because my engine mounts were fine. I remove the tranny mount to see it in almost new condition aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!! I put the new one in anyway and stored the old one away. It was very easy to take out thanks to the ever so gracious Marcus F ( ) but it was a biaaaattttcccchhh to put back in. Once again I had to call on The Powers of Grey Skull to line up the holes for the engine bracket bolts.

I look above the engine bracket while putting in the last bolt to see that my front drive shaft flex joint looks like a hungry pitbull has been chewing on it. I am about to order one but would like to know how easy or hard it is to change. It looks easy but I am sure that there is a hidden bi tch clip somewhere. I dont wanna keep bothering Marcus but until my copy of the WIS finishes downloading ( ) I am flying partially blind. Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by ClkE20; 03-29-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:12 AM

Are you sure you didn't bend your rim hitting the pothole? I had a bent rim that caused a crazy vibration that made highway driving pretty much unbearable. Those low-profile tires make rims prone to getting bent.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Clk320
Thanks Jeremy, surprisingly these monoblocks are strong as hell. I am beginning to believe that I cant bend them. I even had a blowout and still didnt bend them. My vibration is only in Drive when I am stopped I already know the cause. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to change the drive shaft flex joint, or have instructions? (only 22 hours left till my WIS finishes )

Last edited by ClkE20; 03-30-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Did you also check your engine mounts to make sure they are still ok?

As for changing out the flex disc it is pretty easy. You will need to remove the
transmission mount again and the mounting plate under it. You will need 2 19mm wrenches or atleast one wrench and a 19mm socket and ratchet. Put the transmission in neutral first so that you can turn the driveshaft and get all the bolts out. Once you do this, you will need a pry bar to pry it loose and away from the driveshaft and transmission. Make sure to pay attention to how it mounts when you are unbolting it and putting the new one back in.

Put everything back together and there you go.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by ClkE20
Thanks Jeremy, surprisingly these monoblocks are strong as hell. I am beginning to believe that I cant bend them. I even had a blowout and still didnt bend them. My vibration is only in Drive when I am stopped I already know the cause. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to change the drive shaft flex joint, or have instructions? (only 22 hours left till my WIS finishes )

The flex disc is about as tough as brushing your teeth. It's the easiest service you can perform. ****** those six nuts, slide out the bolts, and the flex disc will fall out. Put the new one in, slip in the bolts, torque the nuts, and move to the second one.

Now lets talk about the real problem -
22 HOURS?

We have GOT to start some type of WIS exchange. This is what I had in mind. Someone makes two copies (that's 4 DVDs). They agree to GIVE IT AWAY to two more people (yes, it includes shipping). Each of those people agree to burn two more copies AND GIVE THEM AWAY (yes, you have to including shipping, you got it for free, give it for free). Pretty soon, everybody has a WIS.

Of course, this will never work. Somebody will get a copy and say "screw the next guy!", or "I don't have a burner", or "I'm not buying a 5 pack of DVD's for two people I don't know, besides, one of the guys who asked me to burn him a copy just got here, only has 3 post, is beligerent, and wants me to pay for shipping to Brazil!"
Old 03-31-2007, 02:18 AM

Clk320
Thanks for the help guys my mind is now at ease.

That WIS exchange will never work !!! If this damn thing will finally finish I have no problem seeding it for a week or if someone has an online drive space account I will happily upload it so members can have a direct download of it.

The seeders must have their upload speeds turned down, this thing is killing me. The crazy thing is that I dont know if the WIS is compatible with Vista. Does anyone know?

Anyway Marcus that dude in brazil must be smoking crack if I were you I wouldnt even show him a diagram lol. I think that either everyone who downloads from the torrent that I start agrees to seed for at least a week each or someone donates 7gigs of web space for us to have direct DL's.

A WIS should come with each benz!!! Lol that will never happen so I guess we will have to all help each other out by pitching in untill we all have our own copies.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM

CLK430
i would be willing to travel a long way to get my hands on a copy.