CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New to MB's.....thinking about getting one....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kawasaki 636
New to MB's.....thinking about getting one....

I am thinking about getting in a 98-02 CLK. With it being older chances are the miles will be a bit higher up, how are these cars at say over 100k? Are there any "regular" repairs that seem to pop up? And more over, how expensive are repairs? Just not trying to make a decision i'll regret, i love the look of the cars. I need something dependable that wont break the bank over the next couple years.

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:52 PM

My best advice..... well the best advice for any car, look for extensive repair documentation. A good owner will have all the documents available for you to glance at or keep.

The lady that we bought the ML 430 had EVERYTHING... even little light bulb recipts...

My CLK 430 was bought new and only serviced at the dealer that i bought it from.... I asked for everything done on the car!

Sometimes you must be aware of the auction cars at little dealers..... They may have secrets.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:03 PM

chances are there wont be extensive repair docs for these cars, not much seems to go oughly wrong even at 100K. just fuses for the electric seat which are free. selling mine too btw if youre interested it's in socal
Old 09-15-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
I would buy the newest model in the best condition available - either a 2001 or 2002. At 100K miles, the normal wear items to watch for at this stage will include:
  • Both motor mounts
  • Trans mount
  • Brake light switch
  • Possibly the differential side seals
  • Flex dics
  • Possibly the catalytic converters
The cats can be the most expensive item. They need to be replaced when the ceramic cores separate from the metal shells. You can tell they're bad when they rattle just off idle. If you're under 8 years and 80,000 miles, the dealer will replace them for free. If not, and it's on your nickel, you may want to look at aftermarket alternatives.

The spark plugs should have been changed by now. Ditto for the transmission fluid. If not, I’d deduct that from the sales price.

I'd ask the owner to supply a VMI (vehicle master inquiry). A dealer can supply one for free.

Not so normal, but common wear items are the power seat motors. If you’re handy, each motor will take about an hour and cost about $130 at the dealer. If you’re not handy the dealer will probably bill a couple of hours labor on top of the part. Look carefully at the clock and temperature section of the dash for failing pixels. They fail on some cars, and work fine on others.

Lastly, you may want to consider joining the Mercedes Benz Club of America. The parts and service discounts are more than enough to cover the yearly membership.