CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Any experience with these kits???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007 | 01:07 AM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by DropTop208
Just wanted to know if anyone has this kit? IF it has any fitment issues or anything else. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...spagenameZWDVW
Hey DropTop, have you decided if you were going to get that kit? I always wondered if there was someone else who might like it. I've had interest in that kit for some time now, and i'm actually going to be ordering it this week. Someone backed into my car and took off, and left me with a good amount of front and rear damage So now i have a good excuse to put that kit on. I like it because its different from what EVERYONE else has on their car. So wish me luck and i will post up the pics in a couple weeks when she comes out of the shop.
Old 10-16-2007 | 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Someone please get it. I have been interested in it for a while also.
Old 10-16-2007 | 11:44 AM

02 CLK 430 Cab
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
Hey DropTop, have you decided if you were going to get that kit? I always wondered if there was someone else who might like it. I've had interest in that kit for some time now, and i'm actually going to be ordering it this week. Someone backed into my car and took off, and left me with a good amount of front and rear damage So now i have a good excuse to put that kit on. I like it because its different from what EVERYONE else has on their car. So wish me luck and i will post up the pics in a couple weeks when she comes out of the shop.
Im gonna get it in the next couple weeks. But post some pics when you get it done. Im sure its gonna look good.
Old 10-16-2007 | 03:02 PM

CLK 430
I'm ordering it hopefully tomorrow or Thursday, and my body shop guy should be painting and installing it next week. I'm super excited. I think that it will look hot and not ricey despite what others might think.

I'll post pics as soon as I get it done.

DropTop: I'll let you know how well it fits and how much fitment my guy will have to do. I'm also having him do the cutouts on the sideskirts where the jack goes. And then I'm going to have him cut out a spot on the rear bumper so I can do a dual exhaust. Which I plan to do right after I get the kit installed. Which by the way, you have quad exhaust right? I'm just going to have dual, but do you know what the measurment are for the pipes, and anyother detail that I need to know? Thanks!
Old 10-16-2007 | 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
I'm ordering it hopefully tomorrow or Thursday, and my body shop guy should be painting and installing it next week. I'm super excited. I think that it will look hot and not ricey despite what others might think.

I'll post pics as soon as I get it done.

DropTop: I'll let you know how well it fits and how much fitment my guy will have to do. I'm also having him do the cutouts on the sideskirts where the jack goes. And then I'm going to have him cut out a spot on the rear bumper so I can do a dual exhaust. Which I plan to do right after I get the kit installed. Which by the way, you have quad exhaust right? I'm just going to have dual, but do you know what the measurment are for the pipes, and anyother detail that I need to know? Thanks!
DevilsAngel,

I would suggest that you wait until you actually get the quad pipes installed because you don't know what pipes you're going to use yet and you may end up with a smaller or to large of a cut out for the install. But if you already have the quad tips then just go and have the body shop guy cut to size.
Old 10-16-2007 | 10:25 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by CLK FAN
DevilsAngel,

I would suggest that you wait until you actually get the quad pipes installed because you don't know what pipes you're going to use yet and you may end up with a smaller or to large of a cut out for the install. But if you already have the quad tips then just go and have the body shop guy cut to size.
Good point. Do you have any suggestions on how I should go? I'm going to have it custom made with stainless steel pipes. There's a shop that does mandrel bending up here that I'm going to go to. So I pretty much just need the measurments and to find a nice muffler/exhaust tip setup.
Old 10-25-2007 | 02:14 PM

CLS63 AMG S
hmm..wonder how this project is going.....lol....btw whatd did you mean by your post scottster?
Old 10-25-2007 | 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
i would suggest doing the exhaust after the kit. you want to line up exhaust with the cut outs. if they install it too high, it wont clear the cutouts, and you could run into problems like melting the plastic and messing up the paint.

if the bumper has a single cutout, have your bodyshop do the same to the other side, and then have your exhaust guy work his magic with the piping with lining it up with the cutouts. i had to the same thing when i did my WALD kit. WALD doesnt come with a dual cutout, and I wanted quads. I already had quads on the car, but they didnt line up with the cutouts, and i had to drive the car to my exhaust shop. by the time i got there, it melted part of my bumper.

i also did measurements of the new tips, and measurements of the original cutout, and told my bodyshop to make the adjustments to fit them without making contact.

bumper installed and cutouts made ---> visit exhaust guy.
Old 10-25-2007 | 05:30 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by MilitaryBenz
hmm..wonder how this project is going.....lol....btw whatd did you mean by your post scottster?
Its in the works...still waiting for the kit to come in. My bodyshop guy just ordered it this week. So hopefully I'll be dropping the car off next week. The anticipation greatens....
Old 10-25-2007 | 05:36 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by ViKTORiOUS
i would suggest doing the exhaust after the kit. you want to line up exhaust with the cut outs. if they install it too high, it wont clear the cutouts, and you could run into problems like melting the plastic and messing up the paint.

if the bumper has a single cutout, have your bodyshop do the same to the other side, and then have your exhaust guy work his magic with the piping with lining it up with the cutouts. i had to the same thing when i did my WALD kit. WALD doesnt come with a dual cutout, and I wanted quads. I already had quads on the car, but they didnt line up with the cutouts, and i had to drive the car to my exhaust shop. by the time i got there, it melted part of my bumper.

i also did measurements of the new tips, and measurements of the original cutout, and told my bodyshop to make the adjustments to fit them without making contact.

bumper installed and cutouts made ---> visit exhaust guy.
Ya thats what I figured I'd do. I sent pics of the new bumper to my body shop guy and let him know ahead of time that I would like him to do an exact cutout on the opposite side. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible, so that way once he gets the car he can just do his work. Do you have any suggestions on muffler/exhaust tip set-up? Although I'm thinking of just doing dual tip, not quad tip. And what size piping? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.