CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Hey from the UK, need help looking for a CLK soon!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peugeot 206 1.6 GLX 1999, to be CLK W208!
Hey from the UK, need help looking for a CLK soon!

Hello I have just joined the forum. I am a male, aged 21 living in London.

I currently own and have owned for over three years a regular Pug 206 1.6 90BHP car, done various mods etc the car is kinda slow and handles really badly.

I plan to keep the car till the summer, latest autumn and sell for a Mercedes Benz.

I have been looking at the CLK range 1997-2002, which looks lovely. Given that I am willing to pay insurance costs up to £1000 per annum on a car like this, I have been looking at the CLK 200 and 230 lumps. The break horse power difference between the two units is quite big at just under 60bhp! I would prefer to spend my money on the 230 as I have read that the 2.0 litre is very underpowered for the CLK.

Also I am looking to install a custom audio system as I have with my current car, notable a 12" Subwoofer and component speakers amped and ran off a Pioneer DEH-80MP Head unit.

I wanted some advice as to what to look out for in these models. I plan to do as much research as possible before investing some of my good earned cash in one. I have a budget of around £5000 and am looking at the older models (1997-2000).

I realise I would probably be able to get a car with around 80k on the clock which is quite a bit, but I have been told Mercs run forever (if looked after).

What is the legroom like at the back of the car? Can 5 adults fit although it is a 4-passenger car?

When would be the cheapest and best time to buy? What should I look for models and options wise? My budget doesnt give me much choice now, but in 6-9 months time the prices should fall a bit more surely?

Thank you for your input.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy owner of '98 CLK 320
Originally Posted by thelegacy
What is the legroom like at the back of the car? Can 5 adults fit although it is a 4-passenger car?
IMHO this is a definite no. There are only 2 seats in the back. It's not a couch. I don't think anyone would sit on the central storage thingie for more than 5 minutes, personally I would not wan't to sit there for even 1 minute.
I don't know about English legislation, but where I live, it is illegal to have anyone sit in a place not designed for it, and which does not have a seatbelt.