Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Coupes & Cabriolets > CLK-Class (W208)
New Tire Recommendation + Alignment >

New Tire Recommendation + Alignment

Notices
CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New Tire Recommendation + Alignment

 
Old 01-25-2008, 01:41 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK430
New Tire Recommendation + Alignment

It's that time again where I have to buy a new set of tires. My current set, which I bought 2 years ago, are Bridgestone SO-3's. They've lasted me a long time, since I don't drive a lot. Just want to get some opinions on what's a good set of tires. I've been thinking Michelin Pilot Sport (non A/S), but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Also, is the Dealer the best place to get an alignment. My left front tire is wearing down incredibly worse than the right. And since my car seems to pull to the right, I'm thinking the alignment is bad. Problem is, I've taken it into a local tire shop that does free alignment checks and the report says everything is in spec but the camber, which they say is not adjustable on our cars. So...can the dealer take care of the camber?

Thoughts and opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!
JohnnyBoy is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 10:51 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 179
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
for what its worth, i bought the bf goodrich geforce 2 from discount tire. They are the best bang for the buck, in my opinion. they look great and ride even better.

the geforce sports are nice as well, but i prefer the smooth side wall for armor all looks.
Hitman0187 is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Baltimore, Md
Posts: 215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Unless you have a really really good alignment shop, its almost always worth the money to just get an alignment at the dealer. Less headaches and less argueing/ explaining. The camber is adjustable to a certain degree, but many alignment and tire shops just wont do it or dont know how to do it...
chem1441 is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MarcusF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SCV SoCal
Posts: 3,751
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
2002 CLK430
Usually, I avoid all season tires. They don't do well in the dry and it doesn’t rain enough down here for me to care about much else. However, I tested Continental Extreme Contacts on a new G Coupe and was amazed at how well the tires gripped in the dry. They wet down the lot and they handled very well there as well. I didn't have any track time, so I can't say how they hold up there. Is anyone running these on a CLK, and if so, what do you think?

And yes, for $100 (which is what my local dealer charges), the dealer is really not a bad place to get an alignment. Not only do they know what camber bolts are, but they (at least at my local dealer) have hundreds of them in stock.
MarcusF is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430, SC430, RX330
Which dealer in SoCal?

Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post

And yes, for $100 (which is what my local dealer charges), the dealer is really not a bad place to get an alignment. Not only do they know what camber bolts are, but they (at least at my local dealer) have hundreds of them in stock.
I've been driving around with a camber problem on all four tires for the last 3 years. 3 years ago at Sears, they did an alignment and told me that its a fixed camber and said there was no camber adjustment. They adjusted the toe and did not charge me for the alignment job since they could not fix the alignment. At another tire shop, they told me I needed a camber kit since there was no camber adjustment. I didn't want to spend the money so I have just been driving around with the alignment problem.

I read on the other threads that the camber adjustment is done by turning a camber bolt and possibly replacing it with a longer bolt to get more range of adjustment. Which dealer are you taking it to? Seems like $100 for an alignment is the way to go rather than deal with the uneven tread wear.
ratha67 is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 02:45 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MarcusF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SCV SoCal
Posts: 3,751
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
2002 CLK430
Mercedes-Benz of Valencia. They are in Santa Clarita, California. 800 924 4954. If you're local, ask for Ishmael Castro in the service department. Tell him "Marcus Fitzhugh recommended that I call, and I need an alignment." I won't make any money on the deal, but I can use as many dealer personnel in my debt as possible.



Last edited by MarcusF; 01-25-2008 at 02:54 PM.
MarcusF is offline  
Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 AM
  #7  
Member
 
NFSCLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RED CLK 430 Coupe
Did you say an alignment for a $100 at the MB dealer?
My MB dealer wants $220 whats up with that!
NFSCLK is offline  
Old 01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MarcusF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SCV SoCal
Posts: 3,751
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
2002 CLK430
At Mercedes-Benz of Valencia, four wheel alignments on a laser-guided digital-imaging alignment rack are $99. $220 seems a bit much. For $49 more ($269), Mercedes-Benz of Valencia would align the car AND do an "A" service. You're not local, but here's the link to their service specials.

MarcusF is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Jessica90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 303
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
I'm running kumho's on my CLK. I have no complaints with them. Tread life is good.

JohnnyBoy, I am also from S.F. and I constantly see a black opal CLK on Portola in the mornings.
Jessica90 is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:50 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK430
Originally Posted by Jessica90 View Post
I'm running kumho's on my CLK. I have no complaints with them. Tread life is good.

JohnnyBoy, I am also from S.F. and I constantly see a black opal CLK on Portola in the mornings.
I had Kumho's on my old Accord and didn't like them too much, but they did last a long time.

I'm in SF, but closer to Pac Heights area...look for me there. I don't make it out to Portola very often.
JohnnyBoy is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Jessica90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 303
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
I had Kumho's on my old Accord and didn't like them too much, but they did last a long time.

I'm in SF, but closer to Pac Heights area...look for me there. I don't make it out to Portola very often.
I'm around Union st. often and do remember seeing a black opal clk a couple of times.

Last edited by Jessica90; 01-31-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Jessica90 is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK430
Originally Posted by Jessica90 View Post
I'm around Union st. often and do remember seeing a black opal clk a couple of times.
I am down there quite often, so maybe it was me. I'll be sure to look out for your car next time I'm there.

Curious, what is a 2007 MB Key and how much and what did you use for your lowering kit?
JohnnyBoy is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 04:04 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Jessica90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 303
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
I am down there quite often, so maybe it was me. I'll be sure to look out for your car next time I'm there.

Curious, what is a 2007 MB Key and how much and what did you use for your lowering kit?
Sounds good.

The 2007 mb key is the new key from mercedes.



It's the key on the bottom.

I bought my car lowered, so I have no idea what kit the previous owner used.

Edit: I bought my key for $120 shipped.

Last edited by Jessica90; 02-02-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Jessica90 is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 07:17 AM
  #14  
Member
 
J56BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL 33325
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
It's that time again where I have to buy a new set of tires. My current set, which I bought 2 years ago, are Bridgestone SO-3's. They've lasted me a long time, since I don't drive a lot. Just want to get some opinions on what's a good set of tires. I've been thinking Michelin Pilot Sport (non A/S), but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Also, is the Dealer the best place to get an alignment. My left front tire is wearing down incredibly worse than the right. And since my car seems to pull to the right, I'm thinking the alignment is bad. Problem is, I've taken it into a local tire shop that does free alignment checks and the report says everything is in spec but the camber, which they say is not adjustable on our cars. So...can the dealer take care of the camber?

Thoughts and opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!
i'm in s.fla took my car to sears $89.00 6 mt warranty. b4 6 mt up they will do it again for free. not bad.
J56BP is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 03:03 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Jessica90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 303
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
You should take your car to wheel works. I've been hearing lots of positive feedback from them. I think you also get unlimited warranty there.

I'm planning on taking my car there for an allignment in the near future.
Jessica90 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Tire Recommendation + Alignment


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: