CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Remove center console in 2002 CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008 | 02:58 PM

2001 CLK 320
Remove center console in 2002 CLK

So, I am attempting the tape adapter iPod modification (take radio out and install a tape adapter with the cord coming out the back of the radio) discussed in other threads here. Works great, and clean - excellent.

Here's my problem. I am trying to run the cord under the console and back to the armrest compartment where it will attach to a rf remote, line out and the ipod. But, how freakin' hard do I have to pull on the main center console to release the clips? I removed the black plastic sleeve that separates the main wood trimmed console from the one directly surrounding the shifter, then I tried to gently pry up the larger wood trimmed console. I was finally able to get one clip to release (the front right), but couldn't get any of the others to let go. I was pulling pretty hard, but am really worried about breaking that piece, can't be cheap! It probably hasn't been removed in 8 years, so its probably gummed up. I've read descriptions about how to get it out, and even saw a video from sources in this forum, but man this thing doesn't want to come out!

Anyone have any experience with this? Pull harder? Is there anyway to reach the other clips or other tips for getting this thing out? A different/easy way to route a wire back to the center console?

Thanks in advance!

Tom