CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Squeak/rattle from c-pillars by back seat - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55
Squeak/rattle from c-pillars by back seat - anyone else?

I had my girlfriend drive me around as I searched for the rattle in the back of my CLK that has been driving me nuts. If I push up against the c-pillar (where the rear seat belt attaches for the shoulder belt) - it seems the panel is a bit loose near the bottom half as it descends towards the rear speaker deck. If I gently press against this interior panels, it kills the rattle.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe there is a broken panel clip? Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2002, 11:59 PM

'01 CLK 55
I Just had the problem addressed in my '01 CLK55. Here's the dealer codes that were used to remedy the problem along with their diagnosis in their words:

"Client states creaking noise right B- pillar area;( Where I thought it was coming from)

Cause: 941017 Vehicle chasis noise (s), locate 559war93

685570 Hat shelf, repl.

559war93

11215 Creaking noise right b-pillar area cause rear seat is binding on rear panel road test for noise found noise coming from right rear of car at 20 mph R&R rear hat shelf found (sic) is still here R&R right rear panel found noise when away lub (sic) panel noise when (sic) away.

The noise I experienced was a sort of single "creak" with multiple repetitions as I traversed rough roads, made aggressive right turns on rough corners,etc. During the subsequent 20 mile drive back home, I noticed no noise coming from the previously affected area. Hopefully the issue has been permanently addressed.
Hope this helps... Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Same problem, dealer fixed it for all of maybe 100 miles then went right back to rattling again. My hat shelf was replaced as well, but it came back. I also have another one, when I put pressure on the sunshade housing it goes away, this one usually occurs during heavy bass notes from the speakers. This weekend I'm going to take a shot at fixing it myself or at least get a better idea of where it is coming from.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:53 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
humm, I get a squeak from my moon roof, it's the sliding thing that covers the moon roof from the interior, I think....

Just can't seem to stop it.... Anyone else?
Old 11-30-2002, 12:59 PM

'01 CLK 55
A suggestion; Why don't we just GUT our cars...Should take care of the problems permanently.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:27 PM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
B Pillar noise

Hi,

I was investigating this myself, but I traced to outside the car, as when the car is wet the noise disappears and appears when dry, an annoying plastic creaking noise.

But going on what is being mentioned, I just wanted to find out what is a hat shelf (i take it's a rear shelf) , and what is "(sic)"

Also I have a little rattle from the sunroof lid (sliding thing) will investigate this soon. Must be something loose when they re-aligned my sunroof two years ago.

nickv, put a folded face towel under the first aid lid and leave it open so that the lid rests on it, the rattle from loud music is because the plastic lid touching the shelf.

I have the same problem as Brian Yee with the noise but I think mine is from outside. I checked the inside and all is perfect.

Nick

Nick
Old 12-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK55
thanks for the responses

it's a real pisser the quality isn't up to par on this car and I just HATE taking it to the dealer for this type of stuff....

at first I thought it was the rear sunshade, but it's definately the interior panel for the c-pillar
Old 12-12-2002, 10:50 AM

CLK 430 - Magma RED, 1999
rattle behind the driver, squeak in the front passenger suspension

I've also noticed the rattling which has made me go crazy sometimes. Unsure where its coming from although since I've only had my '99 CLK 430 for 2 weeks now, don't have the heart to take it apart :-)

Also, I have a squeak everytime the right from tire goes over rough surfaces, could it be just an issue of greasing or something worse?
Thanks
Old 12-12-2002, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
my experience from squeaks when going over bumps comes from the exterior body panels. in particular, they are the sideskirts.

Well, that and some light noises coming from the dash panel during high speeds.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
My sqeaks and rattles

Guys, here are my squeaks, rattles, and FIXES:

- sunroof squeak when fully retracted
- FIX: I put grease and some WD40 on the sunroof track and hinges.

- Dome light rattle with subwoofer pumping
- FIX: I put a piece of felt between the actual plastic dome light casing and the metal piece; that's what rattles.

- Right hand side C-pillar squeak
- FIX: None that I've done yet. I'll investigate this weekend.

Note: I DO NOT trust my dealer for such repairs as they might aplify the problem or start a whole new one.

Most of the squeaks and rattles can be alleviated by one of two things:

piece of felt
grease/lubricant.

If squeaks come from the outside, the first thing I'd think of are the anti-roll bar bushings being dry. The fix for which will be to simply grease it.

BTW, my driver's seat has been squeaking lately also when taking hard right corners, I imagine a little oil will do the job also.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:46 PM

2001 CLK
Also I took out the rear ash tray. The thing kept looseing itself and then started rattling. I just took the piece inside and just keep it in a box full of MB junk. Smokers arent allowed in my car anyway.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by 911Jose
Smokers arent allowed in my car anyway.
HERE HERE!!!