CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

FEW DETAILED QUESTIONS ABOUT AN EXHAUST SYSTEM. PIPING, ETC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
Arrow FEW DETAILED QUESTIONS ABOUT AN EXHAUST SYSTEM. PIPING, ETC

How's it going fellaz?

Ok, here's the deal. I do plan on getting an exhaust system soon, and i have a few very important questions that i would like to clear up. Maybe this thread my help out others as well.

I've done a couple searches and found some info, but maybe this thread can be the answers to all questions posted elsewhere.

Anyways, here's what I need help on. (Facts / suggestions / opinions are welcomed)

- What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying an EISENMANN RACE EXHAUST SYSTEM?

- Would I get the same results with a MagnaFlow setup?

- Is there any major differences other than PRICE? (HorsePower Gains? Sound? etc)

- What's different about KEEPING / DELETING the resonator?

- What's the purpose of custom "X-PIPES" or "Y-PIPES"? (Does it change the sound? Better? Worse?)

- What size piping is the best?

- When people remove their CATs, they can't pass smog right?

- After getting and exhaust system, will i lose any LOW END POWER?

- Does it waste more gas?

If there's anything i missed, feel free to add more. thanks.

Please keep in mind that my CLK is a 320.

I'm looking for a DEEP, CLEAN, AGRESSIVE, SPORTY exhaust sound

Here's a video of a V6, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B33Ci-lhn88

What do you think he did to achieve that sound?

(More Videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZklDXRJmGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxfjrU4sQg8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45AW4HPHws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3v_N6unuMg
Old 04-26-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
ur not really gunna get a response with that many questions in one thread lol...most ur ansers can be answered via search n prob were
Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
ur not really gunna get a response with that many questions in one thread lol...most ur ansers can be answered via search n prob were

LoL. Let's hope not. I need to have as much info as possible before going on with this project.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 3.2
Here's the best I can do with your questions since I have a 320 as well.

- What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying an EISENMANN RACE EXHAUST SYSTEM? None...you just have the name brand....although the ones who have bought will try to tell you different but they are just trying to justify the money they spent.

- Would I get the same results with a MagnaFlow setup? Maybe just as good or even better after the money you have left in your pocket brings a smile to your face because you can spend it on other mods.

- Is there any major differences other than PRICE? (HorsePower Gains? Sound? etc) Eisenman may be a little louder but once you remove your resonator with a Magnaflow your car will sound very satisfying to you.

- What's different about KEEPING / DELETING the resonator? Louder and better sound but with the wrong muffler you can end up with a raspy effect during gear shifting.

- What's the purpose of custom "X-PIPES" or "Y-PIPES"? (Does it change the sound? Better? Worse?) They even out the air flow and sound when you have a true dual set up from the cats back. This would only apply if you went with a true dual to have even flow to a quad set up.

- What size piping is the best? Regular OEM sizing with our cars because anything else is overkill unless you have a massive intake. You need some back pressure so don't try to have a muffler guy install giant tubing.

- When people remove their CATs, they can't pass smog right? You can remove your 2ndary cats and pass with no problems....I have them removed as well for louder sound but if you go with Magnaflow you won't need to remove yyours because you will be fine with just the resonator removed. I needed mine removed because Brabus mufflers are not that loud.

- After getting and exhaust system, will i lose any LOW END POWER? You will if you get giant tubing.

- Does it waste more gas? Not really, only if you get an after market intake.

If there's anything i missed, feel free to add more. thanks.

Please keep in mind that my CLK is a 320.

I'm looking for a DEEP, CLEAN, AGRESSIVE, SPORTY exhaust sound

Here's a video of a V6, what do you guys think? Sounds alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B33Ci-lhn88

What do you think he did to achieve that sound? He probably has no resonator and no 2ndary cats. That's overkill if you have a strait through design like Eisenman or Magnaflow because they are meant to be loud from the get go..removing the resonator is enough with a strait through design muffler. I don't have a strait through design so that's why I have the resonator and 2ndary cats removed for more sound, Brabus is muffled and designed to still have back pressure.

Last edited by CLK FAN; 04-26-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks CLKFAN, like always you've been giving good pointers and great advice.

I'll be sure to really think about which ehaust system to buy.

And though you've heard this many times before. Your car looks great man.

Just give me a few months or maybe even a year and i'll be your new Southern California CLK competitor. If there's a CLK 320 to beat out here in So Cal, i'm gonna try and top yours. LoL

It's all good though bro, we're like family.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 3.2
Originally Posted by babyboigsxr
Thanks CLKFAN, like always you've been giving good pointers and great advice.

I'll be sure to really think about which ehaust system to buy.

And though you've heard this many times before. Your car looks great man.

Just give me a few months or maybe even a year and i'll be your new Southern California CLK competitor. If there's a CLK 320 to beat out here in So Cal, i'm gonna try and top yours. LoL

It's all good though bro, we're like family.

You're welcome...and when you decide what you want I can hook you up with a muffler guy who will give you a really good price for whatever you want to do, even if you want to go quad like mine.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CLK FAN

You're welcome...and when you decide what you want I can hook you up with a muffler guy who will give you a really good price for whatever you want to do, even if you want to go quad like mine.

Yeah man. Most definitely! I'll keep all of that in mind. I doubt i'll be doing a quad setup, i think i'll be cool with a dual setup.