CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

***The Next Level***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
FWIW

You 320 dudes out there: I took pics of the underside of my car today and forwarded them to Mel. Looking at mine and comparing them to his, it looks like his pipes will bolt right on but I will leave that to him to make the call. Another question about your pipes: would a 100 cell cat be adequate w/regard to O2 sensing and would flow rate increase enough to make a difference?

Last edited by dlbehrns; 02-02-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
You 320 dudes out there: I took pics of the underside of my car today and forwarded them to Mel. Looking at mine and comparing them to his, it looks like his pipes will bolt right on but I will leave that to him to make the call. Another question about your pipes: would a 100 cell cat be adequate w/regard to O2 sensing and would flow rate increase enough to make a difference?
I would go with the 200 cell cat, I really don't think we gain much by going down to a 100 cell cat.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
These W208s are getting lower and lower in price by the day so its going to be harder & harder for people to justify spending a higher % of their cars worth, just trying to help you out (don't take it personal), if you price it too high nobody will buy it (pretty obvious).

Also, clamp designs usually leak / fail over time (which sounds pretty bad) so its better to make sure the entire unit is welded from flange to flange. Obviously you can't ship it pre-welded b/c it would be massive so, you may be better off selling the pipes pre-sleeved so that it can be shipped in a small box then welded at the joints by the installer on the consumers end, that could drop your costs significantly, as well as the final MSRP.

hope that helps
Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
I did too just have been too busy to post the pictures.

Thanks for being able to send him the pictures
Old 02-03-2010, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Williams707
I did too just have been too busy to post the pictures.

Thanks for being able to send him the pictures
Yeah, Dave came through on that one!! It does look like what I took off my car but the next step is getting my hands on a 320 to get some measurements.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Yeah, Dave came through on that one!! It does look like what I took off my car but the next step is getting my hands on a 320 to get some measurements.
I think Dave said he lives near so he could drive up in the past. At least he his closer than I am.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
At least he his closer than I am

The bridge from Nippon is just about done Wil. No tolls. Come on down.lol
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
The bridge from Nippon is just about done Wil. No tolls. Come on down.lol
WoW such Big Words "Nippon" "Nihon"

Actually half of it will be an underwater tunnel. They did one stretching from Kanagawa to Chiba but the tolls for that is $50 one-way.

Last edited by Williams707; 02-03-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
WoW such Big Words "Nippon" "Nihon"

Actually half of it will be an underwater tunnel. They did one stretching from Kanagawa to Chiba but the tolls for that is $50 one-way.
Dang!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
"Nippon" "Nihon"

You say tomato I say tomahto. Domo arigato Mr. Robato.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
These W208s are getting lower and lower in price by the day so its going to be harder & harder for people to justify spending a higher % of their cars worth, just trying to help you out (don't take it personal), if you price it too high nobody will buy it (pretty obvious).

Also, clamp designs usually leak / fail over time (which sounds pretty bad) so its better to make sure the entire unit is welded from flange to flange. Obviously you can't ship it pre-welded b/c it would be massive so, you may be better off selling the pipes pre-sleeved so that it can be shipped in a small box then welded at the joints by the installer on the consumers end, that could drop your costs significantly, as well as the final MSRP.

hope that helps
Right, so you're saying these cars are cheaper and noone will want to mod them... So why are we in business??

With them being cheaper now, wouldn't that attract younger buyers and that's exactly what younger buyers want - an unmodified car. I mean, anyone can make a pretty part that doesn't work right (just trying to help you out, don't take it personal).

To be sure that we are clear, this part is a p-r-o-t-o-t-y-p-e. This means it was made for research purposes only, and not for sale. Now, when it is available for sale, we will get a better handle on the actual cost to produce.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Right, so you're saying these cars are cheaper and noone will want to mod them... So why are we in business??
No, you misunderstood again. As the prices of the cars come down the prices of the modifications must come down with them as well. Cars will always be modded no matter how cheap (Look at LeMons). Lending a helping hand that's all, take it as positive constructive criticism.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
No, you misunderstood again. As the prices of the cars come down the prices of the modifications must come down with them as well. Cars will always be modded no matter how cheap (Look at LeMons). Lending a helping hand that's all, take it as positive constructive criticism.
He is making a prototype. He has not made a V6 header but a few of us are willing to be guinea pigs.

You are putting the cart before the horse. This product is in testing phase not production phase.

Further more his price is still $300-400 cheaper than Kleeman which requires mods where as this will be a direct bolt on application.
If you want to aruge that Kleeman is more expensive because of it being Branded then from a customer stand point Ghosts is cheaper, servers the same function without additional mods i.e. direct bolt on application, no other choices in the market to choose from for the V6s because everyone said it is not worth it e.g. Super Sprint, VRP (I think), a few others. Also you can't argue with his prices because it is his business and he determines that just as you do with your prices. Demand can also determine price but right now there is no big demand and not many people doing major mods to the V6. The only other option in stead of you giving him advice on how to run his business is for you to make headers for the V6 and sell it for a cheaper price to prove your point.

Last edited by Williams707; 02-04-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
positive constructive criticism

his criticism is always positive even though it is completely irrelevant.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
The amount of people doing mods is what drives the cost up or down, not the cost of the car. There are a lot of 'cheap cars' with expensive mods, because of the demand. Either way, thanks for your input.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
his criticism is always positive even though it is completely irrelevant.
Positively!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
He is making a prototype. He has not made a V6 header but a few of us are willing to be guinea pigs.

You are putting the cart before the horse. This product is in testing phase not production phase.

Further more his price is still $300-400 cheaper than Kleeman which requires mods where as this will be a direct bolt on application.
If you want to aruge that Kleeman is more expensive because of it being Branded then from a customer stand point Ghosts is cheaper, servers the same function without additional mods i.e. direct bolt on application, no other choices in the market to choose from for the V6s because everyone said it is not worth it e.g. Super Sprint, VRP (I think), a few others. Also you can't argue with his prices because it is his business and he determines that just as you do with your prices. Demand can also determine price but right now there is no big demand and not many people doing major mods to the V6. The only other option in stead of you giving him advice on how to run his business is for you to make headers for the V6 and sell it for a cheaper price to prove your point.
Will, aren't you the one that told me not to bother getting into it with him... To your point, we might as well change the name to The Forgottens Motorwerks!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
Will, aren't you the one that told me not to bother getting into it with him... To your point, we might as well change the name to The Forgottens Motorwerks!
Yes well this was information more for the readers so they can understand the history behind doing this type of mod and for them to clearly understand his lack of understanding

He comes of as Mr Almighty and talking down to people and it is pissing me off he keeps suggesting that you have came to him for advice. WTF I remember that past argument which he could not prove. All your past information about these headers was credit to EVOSport.

I still need a price quote for the full system.

I'm looking at March 5th to send you payment but first come first serve.
Right now you have first dibs on my March 5th paycheck. lol
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Yes well this was information more for the readers so they can understand the history behind doing this type of mod and for them to clearly understand his lack of understanding

He comes of as Mr Almighty and talking down to people and it is pissing me off he keeps suggesting that you have came to him for advice. WTF I remember that past argument which he could not prove. All your past information about these headers was credit to EVOSport.

I still need a price quote for the full system.

I'm looking at March 5th to send you payment but first come first serve.
Right now you have first dibs on my March 5th paycheck. lol
I can do that, I just have to make a phone call!! This CNC shop I got hooked up with may make things a whole lot easier... I also ordered a set of LCA bushings for the front to try and make something adjustable.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
What is the CEL rating of the MB CATS?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
What is the CEL rating of the MB CATS?
Probably 400... That's why people ususally go for the 200's and on occasion, 100's. You can thank me for saving you all that money and jump straight to the headers!!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
6 More Days, Are you ready Ghost? Remember you have two to make to be your first v6 versions.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:32 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
will your 430 system bolt onto a 55?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 320
It's On and Popp'n
Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by GiZzO
will your 430 system bolt onto a 55?
I would need to see the underside of your car to make that determination.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ***The Next Level***