CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS leaking like crazy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ABS leaking like crazy

hey guys.... I've been putting this on hold while driving my other car so today I decided to get in and see what the deal is. I open the hood and notice the little puddle of brake fluid where the ABS system sits in the front.

(two weeks ago I noticed it in the driveway and in my garage it smelled like brake fluid. Haven't driven since then)

so I turn on the car step on the brake and sure enough it's leaking but it's not leaking from ANY of the hoses leading to the ABS unit. It's actually leaking from the underside of where the main hardline is hooked up to.

It has a hex bolt that holds this part into the main unit but I'm wondering if it has a gasket or something behind it that is causing this.

Have any of you ever had to deal with this. It seems like I'm going to have to take the whole unit out and inspect it carefully but I'm afraid of getting all this air in the brake system and having to purge the whole system. What's the best way to tackle this situation?

Thanks guys
Old 09-27-2008, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
I think the unit you're referring to is made up of three parts - the ABS pump, the hydraulic control unit, and the solenoid pack. Post back what you find the problem to be. Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 04:01 PM

You are correct. I'm going to take it apart and find out which one is the problem. I just HATE taking this thing apart.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 PM

well it's leaking from these two ports at the ESP unit. Does anyone know how to resolve this?