CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Is this an OEM MAF ? Help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk 55 04
Is this an OEM MAF ? Help please

So I found this on ebay , its written Bosch but dunno if oem bosch sensor come with that green plastic. Someone please confirm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM

CLK430, SC430, RX330
he claims it is OEM... You should email him and ask if it is a Bosch insert. He listed it as a Bosch insert, but who knows. Usually the ones that are not OEM say Bosch part # or Mercedes Part # for reference only.

I think the Bosch MAF insert I bought had the green O ring. It was awhile ago... Either green or red... I forget.

I think I paid $90 shipped for an OEM Bosch Maf insert from ebay. For the price that he is asking, I hope its for a new OEM Bosch insert.

Good Luck
Old 09-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Clk 55 04
I asked him he told me its oem but didint give me the reference number
Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
I just recently bought a Bosch insert, it came in a yellow Bosch box and the O ring was green like in your picture. If you don't trust the seller, ask for a picture of the other side of the sensor, it will be stamped with the part number and say Bosch right on it.

Remember, to swap these out, you need a FIVE sided security torx, these are super hard to find, as everything on the market is SIX sided security torx.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 AM

CLK430, SC430, RX330
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
I just recently bought a Bosch insert, it came in a yellow Bosch box and the O ring was green like in your picture. If you don't trust the seller, ask for a picture of the other side of the sensor, it will be stamped with the part number and say Bosch right on it.

Remember, to swap these out, you need a FIVE sided security torx, these are super hard to find, as everything on the market is SIX sided security torx.
I bought the right security torx bit from Sears. They didn't have just the single bit in the correct size for sale though. To get the right size bit, I had to buy the set with 6 or 7 bits.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by ratha67
I bought the right security torx bit from Sears. They didn't have just the single bit in the correct size for sale though. To get the right size bit, I had to buy the set with 6 or 7 bits.
Last time I checked, Sears didn't sell 5 sided security torx, do you have a Sears part number?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM

CLK430, SC430, RX330
Last time I checked, Sears didn't sell 5 sided security torx, do you have a Sears part number?
I don't think mine was 5 sided, but I bought the correct security torx bit from Sears in a set of 7? bits. It cost about $15 but I don't have the Sears part number. I thought it was a 6 sided bit just like the normal torx bits, except there was a hole drilled into the bit (making it a security bit). Who knows, it might have been 5 sided.

What I did was I took some putty and pushed it into the screw head and took that putty to Sears to match it up with what they had. It was an exact fit.

Here's a link to Sears.com that has bits similar to the bits I remember buying.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925702000P
Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
The security torx bit on the MAF not only has the center pin, but the torx is five sided, so regular six sided torx won't work. I couldn't find any five sided torx bits at Sears or any other place, found a set on Ebay which I purchased and of course, now the T25 is lost, so I need to purchase another set or just a T25, thankfully I am done with my MAF, assuming of course, I don't try to install the M113 maf that I have.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 PM

CLK430, SC430, RX330
The security torx bit on the MAF not only has the center pin, but the torx is five sided, so regular six sided torx won't work. I couldn't find any five sided torx bits at Sears or any other place, found a set on Ebay which I purchased and of course, now the T25 is lost, so I need to purchase another set or just a T25, thankfully I am done with my MAF, assuming of course, I don't try to install the M113 maf that I have.
I was pretty sure mine was 6 sided so I just went and took a look at my engine bay. You must have a different torx screw in your MAF because mine is 6 sided and has the same hexagonal pattern as the bits in the above link from sears. Must be a different screw used in different engines and different years on our CLKs.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 AM

I use a needle nose vice grip on the side of the large bolt head surface. They come right off with no chewing of the bolt. I resorted to this because I could not find the right size.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by ratha67
I was pretty sure mine was 6 sided so I just went and took a look at my engine bay. You must have a different torx screw in your MAF because mine is 6 sided and has the same hexagonal pattern as the bits in the above link from sears. Must be a different screw used in different engines and different years on our CLKs.
Thats interesting, mine was five sided and about six or seven old MAF's that my friend has, were also five sided, including the M113 MAF he gave me. Maybe yours was changed at some point, as it looks to me as all the M112 and M113 MB MAF's, all have five sided torx screws.

Glad it worked out for you