CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Trunk Won't Open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Trunk Won't Open

Hi guys. I posted this in the tech section as well. I have a 2000 CLK430 convertible. I cannot get the trunk to open. The key doesn't work. The button inside the car doesn't work. The button on the trunk doesn't work. I alread had the key latch replaced. It cost a fortune because they had to bust out the tail light to get in there. It was working fine 2 days ago, then, nothing. I hope someone can tell me a better way. I have things in there i need to get to. Thx in advance.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55
something may have gotten stuck in the latch area, like a bag or a sweater. what you can try to do is, start putting your top down or up so that you can look into the trunk area. then you can move stuff around. hope that works.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Yeah, I'll try that. My daughter put her soccer gear in there saturday morning, then came to me 5 mins later saying she couldn't get the trunk open. I was thinking she may have gotten something caught in there as well.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 PM

W208 2002 CLK430
Trunk won't open

Last week, I picked up a co-worker from the airport and threw his bags in the trunk. I drove ten minutes to his hotel and the trunk would not open. The trunk release button didn't work. The remote didn't work. The key itself didn't work. I also noticed that the button for the door locks went inop. I thought it was some sort of weird electrical issue. All the fuses were good. Needless to say, I couldn't get my buddy his luggage and had to take it all home with me.

It turned out to be a seized tumber in the trunk lock itself. I soaked it with penetrating lube and let it sit for an hour. I grabbed some vice grips and figured I would just turn the lock until either the tumbler broke free or the key broke. I know, not the smartest thing to do, but it was going on 1am and I was in anything but a good mood at that point. Good news was that the tumbler broke free and now it is as good as new. Even the door locks are working again.

I guess I will just lube it from time to time. I also learned that it is impossible to get into the trunk from the backseat.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 PM

CLK 230K Avantgarde (Manual)
I found out it's not impossible thanks to my lil bro's small hands.

I'm from the UK and had the same problem, boot wouldn't open by remote or key.
What you need to do is take out the first aid kit, under this there is a plastic tray which you should also take out.
You will then see the bare metal which goes into the boot.
What you need to do is get someone with a small hand to feel around for a cable, this is the cable which releases the seat, if i remember correctly its to the right.
Pull this cable and your seats will come loose you can pop them down and gain access to the boot lock!