CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Introducing myself/asking questions: extreme n00b w/320 in NYC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008 | 10:18 PM

1999 CLK 320 Coupe
Introducing myself/asking questions: extreme n00b w/320 in NYC

hello benz experts, fanatics, and everyone else!

when i describe myself as a "n00b" i am not kidding: not only is this my first benz, this is the first CAR i've ever owned. i moved to NYC 12 years ago and the last car i drove was my mom's '85 VW jetta. until now my main modes of transportation have been walking to work, taking cabs and the subway, and the occasional plane ride. i finally decided that i'm going crazy not having the freedom to escape NYC on weekends and took the plunge.

about 2 months ago i purchased a 1999 CLK 320 with 63,000 miles on it for $11K in CT (see attached photos including photoshopped version). while on the test drive i took the car to a dealership and had them do the diagnostic on it so i would know exactly what i was getting. the most critical issues were bad/leaking steering shocks and leaking rear differential at all three seals. there were quite a few other recommendations. after taking ownership of the car i discovered that the previous owner was a 71 year old lady, which explains the low miles. she only serviced the car at the dealership. i was pretty psyched to find that out...made me trust that odometer reading.

i took the car to bells service in paramus, NJ (an indie benz repair place that comes very highly recommended) and trusted their recommendations for a few suspect and/or preventive measures in addition to the list from the dealer (crankshaft position sensor was one). $1800 later i have a perfectly functioning 320.

now the QUESTIONS for you experts:

1) minor paint issue - there are a couple of spots on the roof and on the driver's side door where it looks like something corroded the paint a little. when the sun is shining on it it looks lighter, duller, and slightly "browner" than the good paint. maybe bird droppings weren't washed off in time and that caused it, i don't know.... what can i do about this? is there a way to "spot fix" blemishes to the finish? it doesn't really bother me that much, but i also don't want it to get worse, and i'd love to fix it.

2) upgrading the wheels - i am completely clueless about this. one of the things that always attracted me to this car was the stock CLK430 look with the 5 spoke AMG wheels and the side skirts/bumpers. i bought the 320 assuming that i'd eventually set it up to look that way. here are my questions:

- i have no clue what the wheel specs you guys talk about actually mean. i assume "17 x 7.5" means a wheel diameter of 17" and a width of 7.5". what does "235/35/19" mean?

- i live in NYC and drive on these streets and in jersey occasionally. i don't want to deal with the expense of bending the rims and blowing out tires. how safe am i playing it if i purchase some OEM AMG 17" rims, and what kind of tires should i use to minimize risks? i'm a very cautious driver and i don't blindly drive into potholes, but sh#t happens. my friend who grew up in jersey said when he had fancy rims he bent them all the time and blew out tires constantly, and told me i'm "crazy" to drive in NYC with nice rims. does he just suck at driving?

- will these specs fit my car: 17x7.5 225x45 and 17x8.5 245x40

- are the AMG replicas on ebay for $600 lower quality and more prone to getting bent? anyone ever try them?

- i read that someone was using a tire pressure of 40 psi and said this is how they avoid bending their rims. any thoughts? i have my current tires at 36 psi.

3) body kits - what is the best yet cheapest way for me to get the AMG style bumpers and side skirts and what is the consensus on fiberglass vs. duraflex vs any other materials i'm not aware of? can i purchase the kit in the correct color or do i have to have it painted?

4) if i want this car to last for a long time, how often should i change the various fluids? bells service recommended an oil change every 5000 miles. what about the transmission fluid and all the other fluids a n00b like me can't name off the top of my head?

5) did i get a good deal and make a smart purchase? any general comments on the car?

the attached photos show the car as it is and a photoshopped version so i could see what the AMG bodykit will look like with some funky wheels. those wheels i pasted in are growing on me a little but i'd be happy with the 5-spoke AMGs i mentioned.

thank you for enduring my endlessly long post, and be easy on the n00b.

Attached Thumbnails Introducing myself/asking questions: extreme n00b w/320 in NYC-img_1254sm.jpg   Introducing myself/asking questions: extreme n00b w/320 in NYC-img_1254_modded_sm.jpg  
Old 10-25-2008 | 11:25 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
heres a real pic for you....

i possably have a set of 1999 5 spoke 18in AMG's off a CLK430

Old 10-25-2008 | 11:45 PM

2002 clk430
good photoshop.
Old 10-26-2008 | 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
You got some good Photoshopping skills...I wouldnt have known at a glance that it was retouched on the 2nd photo!!

As far as the price goes...well that is all relative to how you currently feel about it and the going price in your area upstate. I could find one cheaper of course but it probably wouldnt have the complete maintenance history like yours does. I wish you all the luck with your new Benz and ENJOY!!!

Greg
Old 10-26-2008 | 11:23 AM

1999 CLK 320 Coupe
thanks for the photoshop compliments. i've done some professional photography in nyc including fashion, so retouching and PS is something i do a lot.

would someone mind helping me out with question #2 about the wheels? it's my most pressing issue.
Old 10-26-2008 | 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
You will be completely safe with the Original 17" AMG rims using the factory sized tires. The car uses 225/45/17 in the front and 245/40/17 in the rear hence the slight staggered look. These AMG rims would be a huge improvement over your 99 factory rims. I have been to Houston quite a few times and been through some rough patches and have never bent a rim at all. What I did do was cause some curb rash on the worst roads. I didnt like the way it looked and had a shop resurface and repaint all the rims and they look good as new now so I dont think you would have any problems either.

I believe that you would only run into problems when you start running 19's or larger with really low profile tires where the tire has no place to give and therefore the rim gets bent. If your main concern is bending a rim then I would definitely stick with some 17in AMG rims like the one I currently have on mine. I am planning on upgrading soon to some 19's since I want the looks even though I will have to be more careful on the road.

Greg
Old 10-26-2008 | 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
I have placed my response in the quote using BOLD...
Originally Posted by brasil
hello benz experts, fanatics, and everyone else!

when i describe myself as a "n00b" i am not kidding: not only is this my first benz, this is the first CAR i've ever owned. i moved to NYC 12 years ago and the last car i drove was my mom's '85 VW jetta. until now my main modes of transportation have been walking to work, taking cabs and the subway, and the occasional plane ride. i finally decided that i'm going crazy not having the freedom to escape NYC on weekends and took the plunge.

about 2 months ago i purchased a 1999 CLK 320 with 63,000 miles on it for $11K in CT (see attached photos including photoshopped version). while on the test drive i took the car to a dealership and had them do the diagnostic on it so i would know exactly what i was getting. the most critical issues were bad/leaking steering shocks and leaking rear differential at all three seals. there were quite a few other recommendations. after taking ownership of the car i discovered that the previous owner was a 71 year old lady, which explains the low miles. she only serviced the car at the dealership. i was pretty psyched to find that out...made me trust that odometer reading.

i took the car to bells service in paramus, NJ (an indie benz repair place that comes very highly recommended) and trusted their recommendations for a few suspect and/or preventive measures in addition to the list from the dealer (crankshaft position sensor was one). $1800 later i have a perfectly functioning 320.

now the QUESTIONS for you experts:

1) minor paint issue - there are a couple of spots on the roof and on the driver's side door where it looks like something corroded the paint a little. when the sun is shining on it it looks lighter, duller, and slightly "browner" than the good paint. maybe bird droppings weren't washed off in time and that caused it, i don't know.... what can i do about this? is there a way to "spot fix" blemishes to the finish? it doesn't really bother me that much, but i also don't want it to get worse, and i'd love to fix it. I would first try a good paint cleaner on this area. You could have some paint contamination in those areas. Use the paint cleaner and then wax the affected area.

2) upgrading the wheels - i am completely clueless about this. one of the things that always attracted me to this car was the stock CLK430 look with the 5 spoke AMG wheels and the side skirts/bumpers. i bought the 320 assuming that i'd eventually set it up to look that way. here are my questions:

- i have no clue what the wheel specs you guys talk about actually mean. i assume "17 x 7.5" means a wheel diameter of 17" and a width of 7.5". what does "235/35/19" mean? 235 means it is 235mm wide (this is the patch that touches the ground) 35 means that the height of the (ground up) will be 35% of the 235mm and 19" means just that..the tire will fit a 19" rim

- i live in NYC and drive on these streets and in jersey occasionally. i don't want to deal with the expense of bending the rims and blowing out tires. how safe am i playing it if i purchase some OEM AMG 17" rims, and what kind of tires should i use to minimize risks? i'm a very cautious driver and i don't blindly drive into potholes, but sh#t happens. my friend who grew up in jersey said when he had fancy rims he bent them all the time and blew out tires constantly, and told me i'm "crazy" to drive in NYC with nice rims. does he just suck at driving?

- will these specs fit my car: 17x7.5 225x45 and 17x8.5 245x40 YES, this is the factory spec size so its perfect

- are the AMG replicas on ebay for $600 lower quality and more prone to getting bent? anyone ever try them? I believe that they use a lower quality metal so it might be prone to easier bending..I state this only because of what I have read on this forum in the past. I have never owned replica rims.

- i read that someone was using a tire pressure of 40 psi and said this is how they avoid bending their rims. any thoughts? i have my current tires at 36 psi. I use 35 and havent had any problems

3) body kits - what is the best yet cheapest way for me to get the AMG style bumpers and side skirts and what is the consensus on fiberglass vs. duraflex vs any other materials i'm not aware of? can i purchase the kit in the correct color or do i have to have it painted? I would stay away from fiberglass kits and buy duraflex if given the option if it costs a bit more. Duraflex will give you a bit more flex that will come in handy during the fitting at the body shop and will be even better on the road when you happen to scrape up against something. Fiberglass will quickly crack where the duraflex will flex a bit more. As far as painting goes...I would find a local shop to match your paint pefectly and the shop would also give your parts a paint warranty in case the paint starts peeling or cracking.

4) if i want this car to last for a long time, how often should i change the various fluids? bells service recommended an oil change every 5000 miles. what about the transmission fluid and all the other fluids a n00b like me can't name off the top of my head? I have always followed the clusters recommendation of 10k miles and my car still runs beautifully. Of course I use only Mobil 1 fully synthetic. Many here will disagree and tell you to change at 5k miles instead but I personally think that its a waste of money.

5) did i get a good deal and make a smart purchase? any general comments on the car? Answered earlier

the attached photos show the car as it is and a photoshopped version so i could see what the AMG bodykit will look like with some funky wheels. those wheels i pasted in are growing on me a little but i'd be happy with the 5-spoke AMGs i mentioned.

thank you for enduring my endlessly long post, and be easy on the n00b.

Last edited by gregory13lil; 10-26-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2008 | 01:46 PM

02' brabus modified ML500,05' Lambor Gallardo, 02' CLK
+1 here
Old 10-26-2008 | 07:44 PM

1999 CLK 320 Coupe
gregory13lil, thank you SO much for your detailed reply with a lot of great answers. your explanation of my wheels question was incredibly helpful. i hope after a year or two of owning the car i'll eventually have enough knowledge to help people too.
Old 10-26-2008 | 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
No problem at all!!!

Greg
Old 10-27-2008 | 06:09 PM

1999 CLK 320 Coupe
question about duraflex: when i do a google search for amg style bodykits made out of duraflex, the only company that seems to come up is "extreme dimensions." i saw the thread on here where people complained about the fitment of these kits. is the consensus that that company's kits are not worth the trouble, and is there another company making duraflex, AMG replica body kits?

also, could you recommend a specific brand of paint cleaner for my paint issue? i would have no idea what to even look for.

thx!