CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tiptronic gearbox servicing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2003 | 04:02 PM

R129 SL320 '99
Tiptronic gearbox servicing

Guys, I wanted to get your opinion on the view that UK main dealers do not change gearbox oil on the tiptronic gearbox you get in later model 208's. I am told they consider them sealed units these days.

I ask this question as a 'non' main dealer with many years servicing experience (was a MB mechanic but now runs his own show) assured me it was necessary and that not changing the oil can cause serious problems.

For info, the chap I am referring to has 3 stages of servicing on the CLK. The normal A and B services and then what he considers a main service or B+ which he recomends every 3 years. This service includes the standard MB B service + many other parts/lubricants that would never get done at a main dealer unles there was a problem. He charges the same for his B+ as the main dealer does for a normal B service. His B class service is 40% cheaper than the main dealer but I would assume that is about what you would expect in terms of price differential.

Any views?
Old 01-08-2003 | 12:41 PM

CLK 430 Coupe + MGF + 1980 Camaro
leave it to mb..

then when it breaks they have to fix it....

unless your out of warranty then you guy sounds like by far the better deal.