CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Anybody done the tint-scratch fix themselves?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody done the tint-scratch fix themselves?

My CLK430's windows were tinted a week ago, just a day or two before I read about the scratching problem on this forum. I gave the shop a call, but they didn't know anything about it, so I know they didn't do anything to fix it. Another quick call to a different shop produced a similar lack of info.

So unless anybody can steer me to a knowlagable shop in the Dallas area to do the fix for me, I'm going to need to do it myself. I've done plenty of wrenching, so I'm not worried that I can do it, but I'd like to know a little more before I start. If anybody can tell me any tricks to removing the door panel, where the molehair needs to go, etc., I'd really appreciate the help!
Old 01-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Almost a Member!

EEK! Let us know if you found a solution. Just picked up my '02 CLK 320 earlier on this week and was thinkin' of tinting it. The saleman recommended a place near the dealership, so I figured he didn't know about any problems.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by TXDoc
EEK! Let us know if you found a solution. Just picked up my '02 CLK 320 earlier on this week and was thinkin' of tinting it. The saleman recommended a place near the dealership, so I figured he didn't know about any problems.
Where'd you get the car? More importantly, who did the salesman recommend?
Old 01-05-2003, 01:05 AM
Almost a Member!

Bought the car at Park Place Mid-Cities out in Bedford. They were the most plesant of the three dealerships. Worth the 35 mi trip from Plano, IMHO.

I'm gonna have to find out the name of the tinting place. Salesguy told me the name, but I forgot. So many bloody things to remember when you get an MB.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by TXDoc
Bought the car at Park Place Mid-Cities out in Bedford. They were the most plesant of the three dealerships. Worth the 35 mi trip from Plano, IMHO.

I'm gonna have to find out the name of the tinting place. Salesguy told me the name, but I forgot. So many bloody things to remember when you get an MB.
Park Place Mid-Cities is my dealer, too. They sent the car to Allcraft, who did a good job on the tint, but knew nothing about the scratching problem. I imagine that's who your salesman recommended.

If I were you, I'd call around to every tint shop and ask about the scratching problem. Use the shop that knows about it and says they'll take care of it for you. (Then let me know ... just in case I haven't fixed it yet!)
Old 01-07-2003, 09:48 PM

2007 Mercedes S550 Brabus
Make sure to take to the dealer and clean all the dusts before you tint or re-tint your window. I retinted my window after dealer cleaned all dusts, etc. but it still scratched my new tinted windows. THAT SUCK!
Old 01-08-2003, 09:41 PM

After finding a generous benz tech to fax me instructions to remove the door panel (it's very simple) I jumped into the project myself. I used the soft side of some 3/4" self-adhesive velcro on the inside of the weatherstrip, and it seams to work great. Total time was less than two hours, and I could do it now in half that.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Almost a Member!

I'd be too nervous about removing the door panel. With my luck, I couldn't get the bloody thing back on, or worse, I break off a piece of something.