CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Can I remove and remount seat in diff position?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Can I remove and remount seat in diff position?

So guys, my passenger seat motor (which controls seat forward and back) is bad. The worst thing about it is that it is stuck in the farthest forward position.

I've checked the trunk and engine fuse boxes and they're good. A new seat motor is like $400 or so I think.

My question is: Will I be able to un mount the seat and reposition it further back so my passengers are more comfortable when driving? Literally unbolt it and re bolt it further back. I wouldn't really care if I left it that way as all the other componets work fine (i.e tilt and raise/lower)

Please help if you know, Thanks!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 PM

01 clk 430
I should mention most of my passengers are pretty tall and hate rollin with me now because their knees hit the glove compartment. The girlfriend can just deal with being a little further back though
Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2008 G55 AMG
My seat motor is bad too. i have been to a local mercedes guy around my area and he told me there was no way to unbolt the seat and position it farther back. but who knows if he is right or not. i can only hope there is some way...
Old 12-31-2008, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
2002 CLK430
The fore/aft power seat motor is part number 208 820 08 42. List price is $127. $95 with the MBCA discount.

$400 buys the entire track assembly. Well, almost. The track assembly is part number 2089102636 and costs $455 with the MBCA discount. $$$ SIX HUNDRED AND FIVE WITHOUT IT. $$$ MBCA - membership has it's advantages. Everyone else can pay retail.

Addendum, YO GUNDO! I looked up the official German Fix.

Unbolten ze seet. Deezco-neeckten ze motar. Manual movin ze seet back. Re-coneeckten zee motar. Now iz locked in zee back pozitzion. Re-bolten ze seet.

Vielen Dank und viel Glück

Last edited by MarcusF; 12-31-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55 AMG
I had to have my passenger seat motor replaced this past summer. When I bought the car the motor was already bad and the seller had bought the part so I just found a place to install it. Just like yours, my seat was all the way forward so it wasn't easily removed. Somehow the tech removed the entire track assembly. To be honest, not sure how he did it and I didn't really care how he did it as long as he made it work. =P.
I had it done by the guys at Evosport.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM

01 clk 430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The fore/aft power seat motor is part number 208 820 08 42. List price is $127. $95 with the MBCA discount.

$400 buys the entire track assembly. Well, almost. The track assembly is part number 2089102636 and costs $455 with the MBCA discount. $$$ SIX HUNDRED AND FIVE WITHOUT IT. $$$ MBCA - membership has it's advantages. Everyone else can pay retail.

Addendum, YO GUNDO! I looked up the official German Fix.

Unbolten ze seet. Deezco-neeckten ze motar. Manual movin ze seet back. Re-coneeckten zee motar. Now iz locked in zee back pozitzion. Re-bolten ze seet.

Vielen Dank und viel Glück
lol...

So in what case would you need to buy the whole track assembly?

And does your German translation mean I can reposition za seat without replacing za motor?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Gundo
lol...

So in what case would you need to buy the whole track assembly?

And does your German translation mean I can reposition za seat without replacing za motor?
You don't need the whole track. If you take it to a dealer, that's what they'll replace, but it sounds like the only thing that's really broken is the individual motor. $100 and 15 minutes (after the seat has been unbolted) is all it takes. Removing the seat will be the toughest part. It's usually a 10 minute job. Unfortunately, the front two bolts will be hard to access with the seat all the way up.

For the free fix, After you unbolt the seat, just disconnect the fore/aft motor, and slide the seat back where you want it. Then, reinstall the motor. Since the motor is jammed, it will lock the seat in position on the track.

Has anyone ever taken one of those motors to an electrician to see if they can be rebuilt? Or even taken one apart to see what's actually fried?