CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Supercharger and Gaskets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged CLK430 street/show car
Supercharger and Gaskets

I am piecing my blower back together and am not sure of the best route to go as far as gaskets. Most of the gaskets will be custom. I am assuming that because I will be running 9 LBS of boost silicone is out of the question since it will probably just blow out. I need a high quality custom gasket that can withstand boost. Pics show black gaskets needed, any suggestions? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger and Gaskets-gaskets.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 PM

CLK but loves my Fords
I would personally call a experienced mech from the MRGASKET company. I would feel better about getting advice over the phone with a person with real world experience who works for a Gasket expertise company with a racing backround. GL
Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
I think LET has those gaskets,,
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
is that the amg S/C?
what engine upgrades have you done to support the new boost?
i am in the same boat.
thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM

Upgraded HPS gen 2

Its an upgraded HPS gen 2 system. No internal mods ,we have steel forged rods and crank with nikasil lined sleeves cast into our block so they are pretty strong. I had to modify the cooling system and air inlets on the supercharger system. Our engines couldnt hold up to an AMG blower unless low compression pistons were added and something to strengthen the block. They run around 13LBS to much for us.

Last edited by nastyclk; 02-16-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
clk55 amg
I have the same blower on my car and I recently cleaned rebuilt the entire system. I used the special benz silicone to seal all the surfaces and have no problems. I only used a gasket under the polished upper part and made phenolic gaskets where the complete intake bolts to the motor. I fog tested everything and its tight as a drum. If you want gaskets call Adam at HPS, he will sell you them. I talk to Adam all the time, very helpful and the nicest guy you'll meet! I have been running flawless since I installed it for a year already. I have steel sleeves in my block and I rebuilt my motor with everything military internal. If you are going to reuse the stock pistons, get ready to take it apart again, thoses pistons suck ***, I destroyed 6 out of 8 of them.

Hope this was helpful.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger and Gaskets-p1010724.jpg   Supercharger and Gaskets-p1010726.jpg  
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM

pick up
Is that so?...Some other pics?...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by 2PRECISE
I have the same blower on my car and I recently cleaned rebuilt the entire system. I used the special benz silicone to seal all the surfaces and have no problems. I only used a gasket under the polished upper part and made phenolic gaskets where the complete intake bolts to the motor. I fog tested everything and its tight as a drum. If you want gaskets call Adam at HPS, he will sell you them. I talk to Adam all the time, very helpful and the nicest guy you'll meet! I have been running flawless since I installed it for a year already. I have steel sleeves in my block and I rebuilt my motor with everything military internal. If you are going to reuse the stock pistons, get ready to take it apart again, thoses pistons suck ***, I destroyed 6 out of 8 of them.

Hope this was helpful.
Alex
Where did you get those pistons from? Is this all you had to upgrade (I assume 430) in order to apply some boost or?? I apologize if the question seems stupid but I am new to the F/I scene and I want to start learning. This will definitely be one of my upgrades...unless I find a cheap 55 engine next year!

Greg
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55

Hope this was helpful.
Alex
So you killed 6/8 pistons in a 55 motor? I know you were working through your HPS setup little by little...Did this have to do with poor timing or temperature problems? IE, if you had the setup you have now from day 1, would you still have killed the pistons?

Blackbenzz....with all the power you're pushing, have you had to reinforce any internals?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 AM

CLK 430
Can you turn down the boost?

Originally Posted by nastyclk
Its an upgraded HPS gen 2 system. No internal mods ,we have steel forged rods and crank with nikasil lined sleeves cast into our block so they are pretty strong. I had to modify the cooling system and air inlets on the supercharger system. Our engines couldnt hold up to an AMG blower unless low compression pistons were added and something to strengthen the block. They run around 13LBS to much for us.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:27 PM

clk55 amg
ill take pics of my current setup..... the piston in 55 motor are the Hypereutectic or as we know hyper pathetic pistons, they cant handle higher cylinder pressures, they are good for everyday cars because the expansions rates are different on forged. I dont want to say what i have combination wise and parts wise in my motor just yet, but the forged pistons have a very minor knock to them cause of the type of material they are and the clearances needed for blower applications, the average ear probably wouldnt hear them but i can hear it. I also fabricated a 160 thermostat which helps out alot but you need to do ecu mods for it to work.

As for installing a blower on your car.... You can drop one on no problems but boost has to be low or YOU MUST RUN RACE GAS no and's if's or but's. Im running alcohol so I eliminated my issues.

In my opinion blower is the best way to go, nitrous is to unpredictable you always need to tune it, unless you put a huge fuel pill in it, then your defeating the whole purpose, turbo... wont even go there, $$$$$$$$$$$$ need i say more. I heard lots of horror stories about blowers on the benz.... You need to be patient and very observant when doing a blower install. I have a NHRA pro mod car and we constantly are checking the blower for movement and lose parts... it the nature of the beast, you cant rush **** like this!!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 PM

clk55 amg
Originally Posted by BLK00CLK430
Can you turn down the boost?
you can turn down the boost, but then why install it if your gonna use 4 pounds of boost, its a big waste of money if you cannot use its full potential.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Engine build

I was considering sleeving my 430 engine but heard alot of negative things like them shifting etc. Have you had any issues with your sleeves? How many pounds are you running, I will have about 9LBS,will my stock pistons hold up to that?
Thanks

Last edited by nastyclk; 02-20-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 PM

clk55 amg
Originally Posted by nastyclk
I was considering sleeving my 430 engine but heard alot of negative things like them shifting etc. Have you had any issues with your sleeves? How many pounds are you running, I will have about 9LBS,will my stock pistons hold up to that?
Thanks
sleeves will shift if they are installed to tight or lose, that is the case with race blocks... my NMCA super street car has sleeves the have flats on each side and the sleeves touch do they dont shift.... those sleeves will shift if not installed correctly, but when you sleeve the benz block all your doing is boring the cylinder bigger and pressing in a sleeve. The sleeve is completely contained by the exsisting aluminum. I have absoultely zero issues, been driving with the new combination this past summer, the only issue i have is i cant go full out when i race someone, cause im punishing them so bad i need to let off....lol.

9 pounds on stock pistons..... bye bye pistons and if your lucky you wont damage the heads!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 PM

9LBS to much boost?

Im sure your aware of Tech-tune and Mike from the R129(SL 500) forum and they are running over 9LBS on the HPS gen 2 system with the same blocks as us They are doing fine from what I read? Do they have different pistons than Clk 430's? I thought all M 113 blocks all have the same internals, hydraulically cracked forged steel rods, steel crankshaft, open deck with nikasil lined sleeves cast into the block with aluminum pistons?

Last edited by nastyclk; 02-20-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:33 PM

clk55 amg
dont know what compression they are running and what fuel they are running. You definately can run that but not on pump gas. youll detonate the motor to dust. the 55 motors have 10.5 to 1 comp. the benz blocks do not have nikasil, they are aluminum with silicone enbeded in the cylinders, and you need special pistons for that... stock pistons are from mahalle that are made to run with the silicone cylinders. Plus the mp118 superchargers that hps uses, magneson does not recommend 10 pounds or higher.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by da_guitarist
Blackbenzz....with all the power you're pushing, have you had to reinforce any internals?
No.
I dont want to say what i have combination wise and parts wise in my motor just yet,
Why not?

I also fabricated a 160 thermostat which helps out alot but you need to do ecu mods for it to work.
You don't need ecu mods for this and PTE sells them so no need for custom fabrication.

As for installing a blower on your car.... You can drop one on no problems but boost has to be low or YOU MUST RUN RACE GAS no and's if's or but's. Im running alcohol so I eliminated my issues.
I'm running a little over 8lbs on mine on pump gas without an issue. You seem like a track guy, what kind of times does your car run?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 PM

MY CR is 10.00 to 1 which I believe is a little lower than Mike and Tech-Tune so I should be able to push about the same Boost . 2PRECISE Im assuming you upgraded your injectors? I am in the process of getting some flow tested and will be upgrading to 39LB or 42LB with a 72 psi fuel pump. When I get it tuned by LET with the new Injectors and pump(if tuned to about a 11:1 or 12:1 Air fuel Ratio) those coupled with my new intercooler, thermostat, and spacers wont this prevent detonation? Good luck BlackBenz I hope you get there! How are you with your axles you still wont me to do some research for you and see if I can help you get some made?

Last edited by nastyclk; 02-25-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 PM

bump
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 PM

clk55 amg
lol.... I think nastyclk wants answers...lol... sorry was in valdosta testing. I just finished twin turbo big block powered firebird. Made 1 full pass with it, and went 6.70@220mph, we happy!!!

I have upgraded everything on my setup, The only thing i cant do is adjust my timing and fuel curves after a pass down the track. As far as detonation goes, all those things will barely help, but what will prevent detonation is the right OCTANE, and AMOUNT of fuel with the right amount of timing, you will live. Believing the an exhaust, or carbon intake box will make your car run without problems is a joke, better start ordering parts to rebuild.

As far as my car, I expecting 10's or 9's with my set up, if unsucessful, I will do a couple on the fly changes and leave it the way it is, wont try anymore,

For everyone else modding and racing, all the power to you and good luck, Im only offering what i have experienced and I hoped I helped even a tiny bit.

Alex
Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I have upgraded everything on my setup, The only thing i cant do is adjust my timing and fuel curves after a pass down the track. As far as detonation goes, all those things will barely help, but what will prevent detonation is the right OCTANE, and AMOUNT of fuel with the right amount of timing, you will live. Believing the an exhaust, or carbon intake box will make your car run without problems is a joke, better start ordering parts to rebuild.

As far as my car, I expecting 10's or 9's with my set up, if unsucessful, I will do a couple on the fly changes and leave it the way it is, wont try anymore,
How do you plan on going 9's or even tens? Built trans, motor, axles?

Nastyclk- I found a guy in cali that will do it for 1650 (bigger splined axles and hubs) but i gota send him my axles and hubs. I should go tens in a couple days without nitrous

Last edited by blackbenzz; 03-04-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 AM

94 with octane booster

Instead of using race gas could i use 94 with some type of additive like octane booster, or will that not be a high enough octane?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:39 PM

clk55 amg
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
How do you plan on going 9's or even tens? Built trans, motor, axles?

Nastyclk- I found a guy in cali that will do it for 1650 (bigger splined axles and hubs) but i gota send him my axles and hubs. I should go tens in a couple days without nitrous
I built everything on the car, suspension too with boxed arms whole nine, but im gonna leave the diff alone for now, if it breaks, I have a solid rear end ill end up using, this way i can put any gear i want and relocate the coil over inside so i can put a bigger tire.

What do you have done to your car blackbenzz?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM

clk55 amg
nastyclk , put a wide band 02 sensor and go from there, you cant melt if your air fuel is good.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I built everything on the car, suspension too with boxed arms whole nine, but im gonna leave the diff alone for now, if it breaks, I have a solid rear end ill end up using, this way i can put any gear i want and relocate the coil over inside so i can put a bigger tire.

What do you have done to your car blackbenzz?
Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say "built everything"? It would help alot of the fellow members. Do you have stock axles? Seems like you are going crazy with it. Do you plan on running sc, nitrous, turbo, or a mix?

Basics: Kleemann sc, smaller pulley, headers, custom intake, exhaust, cams, built trans, torque converter, quaife diff, and dyno tune. Theres more but those are the "major" performance mods

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger and Gaskets