CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Parking brake situation any advice???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 AMG S
Parking brake situation any advice???

hey guys, i am absolutely gunna go nuts, i looked on the technical manual and it doesnt really explain how to adjust the traveling distance on my ebrake, did a search on the forum and didnt really find anything.
Has anyone else had this problem? I have to push the parking brake pedal all the way down before itll grab.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 PM

CLS63 AMG S
no one has had this problem/...???
Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
First, I’m very hesitant to give brake advice on the net. If something goes wrong, or I do a poor job explaining, or someone does a poor job listening (or reading, as the case is), the brakes may fail. Of course, these are just parking brakes, and if something goes wrong, it'll probably be that they're too tight. If that happens there’s a good chance the parking brake will be on all the time. That will cause them to overheat and smoke after a quarter mile or so. If that happens, whatever material was on the shoe will be gone. Also, I've never done the parking brake on a CLK. I know how it's done, drum brakes are drum brakes - and parking brakes are really old fashion cable/mechanical/non-hydraulic brakes. They are very simple, and often goofed up by having them too tight.

Personally, I'd check the material thickness on the parking brake shoes. As the material wears, the pedal goes down further to engage. If the shoes are fine, turn #89 in the photo.

<run on sentence alert – as if the first one was the model of diction> Assuming the shoes are good (they’re probably worn out, and that’s the problem, but assuming they’re good), and you've got the parking brake in the "off" position, and the rear wheels off, using a screwdriver, rotate the adjusting wheel (#105 in the photo) until the shoes are against the drum and the wheel can’t be tuned by hand. Now, back off the wheel until the wheel is free. That will pick up the slack on your pedal. On the right side, turning the wheel from the bottom up tightens it. From the left side, turning the wheel from the top down tightens it. If the brakes are too tight,
Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM

CLS63 AMG S
woo thanx man nah i cant screw this up appreciate it