CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

need a new key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a new key

my key is starting to flake out....im looking to buy a new one. i remember being able to buy one online much cheaper then at the dealer, but is it true that you cant do that anymore?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
I dont know that you can get the new chrome one for your CLK W208 or not but I get mine for $200 for the chrome one and my other two key are still working.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
do what I did, buy one of ebay for like $10 and replace the case. I bought a brand new one, even came with the batteries on the key fob, pulled the cirsuit board and re-placed it.!

Let me know if you want me to post pics on how to change the inside of the key .
Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 AM

c280 4matic
Please!! Pulling the circuit board out seems like a pain!! Are there any tutorials on the forums...I searched for a good 20 minutes and couldnt find one
Old 07-26-2009, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
retrofitting smartkey circuit boards is of little use if it's the electroncs which
is failing and the cause of the 'flakig out.' all this Ebay key swap out will
accomplish is that you end up moving your crap circuit board into a physically
better looking case.

- gen1 smartkey's circuit board will not fit into a gen2 case (which is smaller)
- gen2 smarkey's circuit board will not fit into a gen3 (chrome) case

...so in the end, the afoementioned Ebay idea is of little use save for super-
ficial and exterior damage fixes.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:58 AM

c280 4matic
Totally agree. The reason I need a new fob casing is because the lock button on mine is broken and the dealer wont cover it under warranty because it has a cracked button. Hopefully if I get a new fob casing he can swap it out for free!!! Any one think this has a chance of working?

BTW: I searched the forums and no one has ever tried taking a fob to a different car and passing it off as their own to try and get the dealer to swap it out. I searched through all 910 posts for the keywords: key fob keyblade and ebay. So STFF=STFU ;p
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 PM

2007 E350W
Smile Smartkey swapping is simple - no need to go to a merchanic

Originally Posted by johnkubik
Totally agree. The reason I need a new fob casing is because the lock button on mine is broken and the dealer wont cover it under warranty because it has a cracked button. Hopefully if I get a new fob casing he can swap it out for free!!! Any one think this has a chance of working?

BTW: I searched the forums and no one has ever tried taking a fob to a different car and passing it off as their own to try and get the dealer to swap it out. I searched through all 910 posts for the keywords: key fob keyblade and ebay. So STFF=STFU ;p
---------------------------------------------------------------
Piece of cake. 1)Take the metal key out of its housing, and you can see a latch and an arrow pointing to the direction to move the latch. 2) use the metal key to push the latch to the direction of the arrow, and while holding the latch, pull the battery cartridge out. 3) Flip the metal key around and use the handle end to pull the chip out by pulling the white plastic tab in the middle.
Jing