CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

is this ball joints or something else??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this ball joints or something else??

I have a 99 320 with 91k, i live on a dead end street and have to do a three point turn every time i leave the house.

every time i maneuver the first part of it, i.e turn sharply to the left and move forward until i near the opposite curb, i always feel something weird around my right front tire. it's as if the tire is flat and you feel the rubber rubbing over the rim.

of course, i usually stop and get out to check the tire, but everything looks fine.

now, i realize that it's probably not the tire at all but before i take it to the stealership i just wondered if anyone else had this experience before.

the car drives fine, i only really notice it on a tight turn.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
balljoints dont last 90000 miles so id imagine yours are bad if not replaced yet. You'll have uneven treadware and "popping" over bumps when they go. Your decription doesn't have enough details but you could start with replacing them to see if that does the trick. They are a cheap and moderate dificulty repair. You'll want to check the rest of your frontend before a trip to the alignment shop after replacement though.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
front tie rod & end links are most likely bad, check your steering damper too. If that doesn't fix the problem then it may be our upper control arm mounts. hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 PM

2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Most joints Balljoints,tie rods,endlinks would cause clunking noises or give other indication then what your feeling when you turn!!! Joint noises are usally heard at speed...Just a ?? when you brake sudden at high speed 70mph-50mph does the front end vibrate.
Check the lower control are bushings.. the rear ones are know to go bad and cause this exact complaint

Good luck
Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hcetzneb: what else can cause the vibration from the front end at 50-70? i ave that problem and cant seem to figure it out
Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Cool

Originally Posted by sd134
I have a 99 320 with 91k, i live on a dead end street and have to do a three point turn every time i leave the house.

every time i maneuver the first part of it, i.e turn sharply to the left and move forward until i near the opposite curb, i always feel something weird around my right front tire. it's as if the tire is flat and you feel the rubber rubbing over the rim.

of course, i usually stop and get out to check the tire, but everything looks fine.

now, i realize that it's probably not the tire at all but before i take it to the stealership i just wondered if anyone else had this experience before.

the car drives fine, i only really notice it on a tight turn.

Good points in the posts above.
But lets start simple: Is your car lowered with no camber correction kit installed?

If so, this could possible cause the tire feeling like its rolling over the rim (only during max turn at low speed). My 2 cents.

The other problems would have vibration, clunking, knocking issues as stated previously.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Not true,

one of our customers had completely failed tie rod joints & end links and as a result his steering would "flop" over, and he didn't even know it, no noises to indicated otherwise.

If you have vague steering especially at top dead center then most likely your entire tie rod assembly is shot (about $100-175 in parts with a few hours of labor). That is the BEST place to start, it may not cure all your problems but its most likely the best start.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 PM

2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Very true... anything is poss. im just saying usually with failed joints (tie rods inner and outer upper balljoints ) you will also get a klunk or some sort of noise.. the bet thing is to get under the car and check the suspension out shaking the tiresback and forth and all you can use a pair of large channel locks and see if the joints have play

by the way i just recently installed some of your products in a customers car and wanted to say you guys have very nice products with great fit and finish!!!!

redflame if you fully inspected the suspension and every thing is tight you can try the steering damper, wheel bearings, and in strang cases front brakes that arent working properly (locking up, collapsed hose ) this could cause a vibration
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
I'm happy to hear that.

sd134 - I am curious to hear what it finally will be. Normally the upper mounts rarely fail but that doesn't mean they aren't the culprit. Honestly both lower & uppers could be back so even if you replace the lower tie rod assembly & etc, the uppers may still be worn and cause that "flop" over feel in the steering. also check both lower control arm bushings on both sides to make sure they haven't failed.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Just confirmed, its your lower ball joints, go ahead and replace them, that should take care of the problem. They may "look" fine but they are most likely bad. It is recommended to just replace the entire tie-rod assembly and shock damper at the same time if you haven't done so... this will basically give you an entire new front suspension for not that much extra. You should be able to get a discount combo labor rate since they are all pretty interconnected anyways.

hope that helps.