CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Any CLK430 Convertible experts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E420
Any CLK430 Convertible experts?

Alright so im working on a 2002 clk430 convertible at work right now and im having trouble getting this convertible top up (closed as a roof) Wicked PITA trying to figure this out. Spent so much time on this and just seeing if anyone has any input on this situation im having.

So the car was involved in a pretty bad accident with the top down and now after all the repairs the car is looking back to perfect condition, everything in working order besides the top. We have the trunk completely torn down trying to figure this out and we have gotten no where with it. Electrically, everything is hooked up correctly. Sitting in the car with it running, not touching any buttons, the convertible button light is lit. When i push or pull the button the light flashes. I have tried the button with the headrests down and in the up position. Also when i push or pull the button i hear a click no?ise coming from either the convertible top motor or the convertible top computer. Should i manually put the top up so i can get to the motor?
Thanks guys any input in appreciated
Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
I'm not an expert, but i know that there is a long plastic piece that sits in the trunk that allows the sensor to know that the trunk is empty and the top can be pulled down. if you look inside the trunk on the right and lef side toward the back of the trunk you will see two plastic rails looks just like the kitchen cabinet rails. on the passenger side rail all the way at the end of it(toward you) there is a little metal spring loaded piece that is the switch for the sensor. hold that down with a paper clip or something and hope fully that fixes it.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:41 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
I have heard of multiple problems with the soft tops.

- My problem was a malfunctioning trunk lock
- Bad/frayed wires coming from the top's sending unit/computer (in the trunk)
- A bad relay (also in the trunk)

Not sure how you narrow em down but the guy that had the bad relay said that the relay itself made a noise when trying to use the soft top button and that's how he 'found' his problem. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM

1994 E420
Thanks guys. Ya i forgot to mention i have that thing in the trunk pulled all the way forward with the switch closed and i still am not getting anything

As far as the trunk lock malfunction, i will have to check tomorrow at work if everything is operating correctly with that.