CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Repair or Replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 AMG E53 Coupe 4Matic, 2015 smart fortwo Electric Drive
Repair or Replace?

This is my second post today - a first for me. Anywhere.

My 2000 CLK430 has tipped the 100,000 mile mark. According to some, that just means the car has now been "broken in." On the other hand, I've had some issues with it and wonder if it's worth it to repair what's wrong and keep the car, or wave good-bye and say it's been a mixed-blessing nine years.

Almost from Day One the car has exhibited "weirdness" with the electrical system. I've heard it said this is a fall-out from the merger with Chrysler. Be that as it may, the worst recurring problem is that when I really stand on it at times, the car begins to buck like a bronco and the Check Engine light comes on. For days on end it drives like a slug and then "magically" heals itself. Until next time. The local dealer has said it's all kind of problems -- the latest being that the entire engine needs to be replaced! Right.

The "little" things that irk me right now are: (1) the LED display for gear and time indicator has gone wonky. I can no longer read the clock or the current gear status, (2) the automatic seat return no longer functions (if I move the seat back to get into the rear of the car, the seat no longer slides on its own, (3) the sunroof is unreliable. If I open it, there's no guarantee that it will close properly on its own. At least not without repeated goes at it.

And oh, the trunk-mounted CD player stopped working a couple of years ago. Since I plug in an iPod, that hasn't been a problem (but the rear bumper antenna has never provided good AM reception and only moderate FM).

I suspect that at my next scheduled service interval (in about 2600 miles) I will need to have brake and/or suspension work. I also need new rubber on at least the front tires (but I always wind up buying four new; see my other post for wheel questions).

Having seen the 2010 E-Class Coupe up close and personal, I'm thinking I might just sell/trade the CLK and put my seat into a new M-B.

What say you?

Last edited by fpuhan; 05-26-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
If you have the option of getting a 2010 E, then there is no question.
Replace.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
It might not be that easy..I believe that if the CLK can be fixed then that would be the better route assuming that he doesnt actually need the extra room the E-class would give. It would be really nice to pocket the extra payments he would have made on the E-class instead of just upgrading for no reason.

Greg
Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by fpuhan
What say you?
1. Is your CLK paid for?
2. Will you have to finance a new E-coupe?
3. Do you like your W208?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chappy
1. Is your CLK paid for?
Yes.
2. Will you have to finance a new E-coupe?
Partly. Selling/trading the W208 and throwing some cash in with the deal would require financing only a part. Perhaps half the cost.
3. Do you like your W208?
Yes. It appeals to me more than the W209, but here are the things I have to consider:
  1. The back seats are useless. I bought the car when I was single. I now have a family.
  2. The cost to repair and refurbish the W208 will not be trivial.
  3. There is no warranty, and at nine years of age, things wear out...
Granted, the cost of the repairs will be less than the cost (even partially financed) of a new car, but a new car will have a warranty (and won't have the ghastly, abhorrent, terrible and nasty electrical system that the W208 has).

I've dealt with my dealer for going on fourteen years now (my first MB was a C280 in 1995), but lately I've begun to have my doubts about their service expertise. The last time I had it in the shop they failed to fix my rain-sensing wiper (although I was charged almost $300), and at one point I was told my engine cylinders were "scored" and the only repair was to replace the engine -- at a cost of nearly $8,000! Of course, it's not the engine, but rather the electrical system giving out false readings, warnings and causing intermittent engine "issues." I've had the emissions control changed twice (once under warranty, once at a cost of over $800).

So to answer your question about whether I like it or not, there isn't a clean "yes or no" answer. I like the car, but I've gotten to the point where I don't know if I can trust it.

Make sense?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
It does make sense and the family part made the most sense to me. I almost parted with my W208 for that exact same reason. My 2 little girls are growing and the 2 small wanna-be seats just werent cutting it anymore and I almost traded in on an E-class quite a few times. But I ended up buying an Infiniti QX56 just to carry the family around!

But in my situation I completely am in love with the looks of my W208 and ENJOY driving it to work on a daily basis!! My engine or electronics have not given me any problems (knock on wood) besides the normal ABS light issue and the CPS problem. I have just hit 132,000 miles on the dash and still no issues. Whenever my engine does decide to quit then I will just do my best to place a 55 under the hood and have even more fun.

So after all my blabbering....If you are having all the electrical issues and will use this vehicle as your sole family hauler then the time has come to do what is right for the family and move on to a car better suited for the family.

BUT...I would think twice and maybe you could buy a used E-class and keep the 208 like I did????

I wish you luck in your decision!!

Greg

Last edited by gregory13lil; 05-29-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by gregory13lil
BUT...I would think twice and maybe you could buy a used E-class and keep the 208 like I did????
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Greg. I've been doing some research and may have come up with a third option: Keep the W208 and purchase a "Classic" Mini Cooper.

OK, before you start... My very first car was a 1961 Mini, and it was the most fun car I ever owned. I completely forgot about them until I recently saw one on a short business trip I was on. It sported a decal to a web site I checked out, and found there are a lot of these classic cars for sale. Even eBay typically has about two dozen on auction at any given time.

This would probably mean I would have two "project" cars in my garage: the W208, which needs to be "refreshed," and a Mini that would need to be maintained. As long as one is road-worthy at any given time, I think I could handle that.

It's still an idea, but it's been simmering for a while now...

Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by fpuhan
[LIST=1][*]The back seats are useless. I bought the car when I was single. I now have a family.

Make sense?

() LOL Dude, remember the whole reason for the changeover...the FAMILY!! You are not single anymore...

Hell I wanted a Hayabusa (BIGTIME!!!!) instead of my Infiniti QX56 but you have to take the comfort of the famly first. You are ultimately going to make your own decision with needing our opinion at all but I wanted to remind you of the family part of the deal. My wife had to do that to me REPEATEDLY

Greg
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
I can definitely sympathize with your situation as I have experienced every problem you have listed. However, over time, i have repaired all of them.
I'd say hang in there. If you try to get all of those issues fixed at the same time, you'll def want to get rid of it when you see that bill. I'd say pick the most important issues to the driveablility of the car, then move on to less important deals. I chuckled when i saw your same issue with the CD player (me too!). Mine has never worked but you know what?...I'll live. Hey, get an iPod (like you did already) *LOL*

That's my last annoying issue to fix, the CD player....
Old 06-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
FWIW...
We didn't get rid of our W208, but got a new C-class (W204) to accomodate our kids. We like it and highly recommend it. I think you'd be pleased with the trade. (btw, I've read that the E-coupe is on the C-frame.)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I just went to a "private viewing" of the new E-class coupe at the dealer last night.

I looks really really nice. Leather and panarama roof are standard on the E350, and the quad fog lights look awesome with the new front end. I still hate the tail, but its slightly more tolerable in person. I have a feeling though, like all recent MB designs, that the look will grow on me with time. Anyways....

I was told by the MB USA reps that the new coupe chassis is 40% C class and 60% E class.... whatever that means.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
I SEE U LIVE IN POTOMAC FALLS??? IM IN STERLING VA
I'm at 99800 miles and i never had a single prob with my car. i changed the spark plugs and i flushed the engine and so forth, as i stay on top of my maint...these car will last up to 150000-200000 miles.
as long as u take care of it and dont abuse it.