CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Q: Resonator and Muffler delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10' GLK
Q: Resonator and Muffler delete

Hi there,

Just got one little question for those who personally did this

Q: do you find that the car has less power or less torque if you put straight pipes in place of the resonator and rear muffler (while keeping the 4 cats in place) ?

is there any dyno graph throwing around here in the CLK sections?

Thanks guys
BWCO
Old 06-24-2009, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by bwco
Hi there,

Just got one little question for those who personally did this

Q: do you find that the car has less power or less torque if you put straight pipes in place of the resonator and rear muffler (while keeping the 4 cats in place) ?

is there any dyno graph throwing around here in the CLK sections?

Thanks guys
BWCO
A resonator only controls sound, so there won't be any performance gains when it's deleted. I'm not to sure about deleting the muffler all together.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:21 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
A resonator only controls sound, so there won't be any performance gains when it's deleted. I'm not to sure about deleting the muffler all together.
from my past experience, usually there's always some effects on the torque. It is usually negative.
The only gain I can see is from a turbo car. But the NA Mercedes V8, I don't know. I wonder if deleting the resonator and muffler in place for a Y pipe would work !
Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
from my past experience, usually there's always some effects on the torque. It is usually negative.
The only gain I can see is from a turbo car. But the NA Mercedes V8, I don't know. I wonder if deleting the resonator and muffler in place for a Y pipe would work !
Most people delete their resonator for enhanced sound. it does have it's ups and downs. but then again this would all depend on the size of the engine.

removing the resonator will make the stock muffler much louder. you'll also gain higher end speeds. you will also "lose" power at take off. but this wouldn't really matter, because it won't be noticeable at all. so that doesn't really count. the concept behind this is that you have reduced BACK-PRESSURE.

Depending on the size of you're engine (cause i'm not sure which car you're referring to), having both the resonator and muffler removed on a non-AMG may or may not be a wise decision. TOO MUCH loss in BACK-PRESSURE will result in slower take offs. and it's gonna be loud as hell. so make sure you really think about what you plan on doing.

just keep in mind that.... 4 cylinder / 6 cylinder / 8 cylinder / AMG engines all sound different.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:25 AM

1999 CLK320
Try a resonator delete before the muffler delete. You might like the way it sounds with just a resonator delete alone. If not, have then take the muffler out.

I didn't notice any change in throttle response. I only noticed a louder exhaust note with windows down or standing outside the car.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK430
I took off the resonator on my car and the sound was kinda the same so i went back and had my muffler removed too. At first i thought it was too loud but now i love it!!! Im happy that i did and i think you should try taking the resonator off first and if you think its not good enough take off the muffler
Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by babyboigsxr
Most people delete their resonator for enhanced sound. it does have it's ups and downs. but then again this would all depend on the size of the engine.

removing the resonator will make the stock muffler much louder. you'll also gain higher end speeds. you will also "lose" power at take off. but this wouldn't really matter, because it won't be noticeable at all. so that doesn't really count. the concept behind this is that you have reduced BACK-PRESSURE.

Depending on the size of you're engine (cause i'm not sure which car you're referring to), having both the resonator and muffler removed on a non-AMG may or may not be a wise decision. TOO MUCH loss in BACK-PRESSURE will result in slower take offs. and it's gonna be loud as hell. so make sure you really think about what you plan on doing.

just keep in mind that.... 4 cylinder / 6 cylinder / 8 cylinder / AMG engines all sound different.
it's a 430 V8, I had the resonator off and only retaining the muffler already. Sounds about the same. But I want some more *noise*. I'm just worried about the torque and slowliness of it.

I understood fully about back pressure on engine when I took my course with Subaru.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it's a 430 V8, I had the resonator off and only retaining the muffler already. Sounds about the same. But I want some more *noise*. I'm just worried about the torque and slowliness of it.

I understood fully about back pressure on engine when I took my course with Subaru.

oh okay. the only thing i was NEVER 100% sure about on the V8's is if it "drones" when you remove both the muffler and resonator. meaning... that while you're just crusing in certain speeds, all you hear is a "errrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhh" from the ends of your exhaust. cause from time to time... that's all i hear from my car. and my set up is.... resonator deleted w/ a custom one-off muffler.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
I can see that from deleting a muffler but not a resonator, and they are both connected on the same pipe on the exhaust so the Y-pipe would need to take the place of the two (2) secondary cats. Then that would lead to loss of low end torque.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:08 PM

02 clk 430 cabrio
i just deleted my muffler and resonator and did straight pipes to a Y-Pipe and two nice tips and it looks great and LOUD i have a v8 430 ... people say it sounds like a vette worked so thats not so bad buts its mercedes ... i dunno i like it for now till i get tired of it then ill throw an exhaust
Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
go with a high flow 2nd cat or delete it. Atleast with this mod you will get tq and hp gains. From my past experiance deleting the resonator annoying cab reverb sound, from what i've been told sound will bounce and resonate between primary cat and secondary/or muffler (depending on setup).
From what i've seen/heard on various benzs this is a much more desirable sound to mess with the secondary cat for a inexpensive sound + power upgrade. For AMG engines makes it sound exotic rather then a chevy.

Last edited by GiZzO; 06-26-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
I went with two high flow magnaflow downstream cats, deleted my resonator and ran a 3" pipe straight into a magnaflow muffler with dual tips. It souds awesome. A bit louder inside the car than I would like but I'm overall happy with the outcome.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:31 AM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by Gundo
I went with two high flow magnaflow downstream cats, deleted my resonator and ran a 3" pipe straight into a magnaflow muffler with dual tips. It souds awesome. A bit louder inside the car than I would like but I'm overall happy with the outcome.
did you notice any loss of low end torque with that setup?
any youtube sound clip? that would be interesting...

I'm looking to actually just throw in a magnaflow muffler with the resonator deleted. Retain both cat due to local law requirements.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GiZzO
go with a high flow 2nd cat or delete it. Atleast with this mod you will get tq and hp gains. From my past experiance deleting the resonator annoying cab reverb sound, from what i've been told sound will bounce and resonate between primary cat and secondary/or muffler (depending on setup).
From what i've seen/heard on various benzs this is a much more desirable sound to mess with the secondary cat for a inexpensive sound + power upgrade. For AMG engines makes it sound exotic rather then a chevy.

So what you're saying is.... if you keep on the resonator and pull out the secondary cat, it'll reduce or elimate the noise inside the cabin? what muffler setup are you using? stock or aftermarket?

cause i'm trying to find a way to produce a loud roar from my exhaust but trying to keep the cabin as quiet as possible. cause right now, my exhaust sounds really really great from the outside, but i have a droning sound on the inside when cruising.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
So what you're saying is.... if you keep on the resonator and pull out the secondary cat, it'll reduce or elimate the noise inside the cabin? what muffler setup are you using? stock or aftermarket?

cause i'm trying to find a way to produce a loud roar from my exhaust but trying to keep the cabin as quiet as possible. cause right now, my exhaust sounds really really great from the outside, but i have a droning sound on the inside when cruising.
Radio volume ^^

What setup are you running?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Radio volume ^^

What setup are you running?

HaHa.... i wish turning up my radio would eliminate the "droning". it's not all the time that my car "drones". i would say.... that my car would drone 7 out of 10 times when driving. droning would depend on...

- how hot/cold it is outside
- whether the a/c is on
- if i'm going uphill
- whether the car's been driven all day
- etc

i'm setup is... resonator deleted with stainless steel piping off a custom one-off muffler with quad outlets.

i love my setup simply because when you're outside and you listen to the car, it sounds just like a badass V8... it has that strong muscle sound. but when you're on the inside... it sounds very much different. "errrrrrrrrrgh"

what setup do you have?

p.s. - i wonder if that little "project" that me, you, and williams is planning out is gonna enhance the agressiveness of our exhaust. that'd be pretty sick.

Last edited by babyboigsxr; 06-29-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:05 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe

Resonator sits right under you. Serveral car buddies told me not to remove it on a v8, unless you just want alot of noise. That whirl at idle would be cut down. Its cleans the annoying unwanted sounds your hearing and the AMG version resonator as AMS puts is "A perfect design" so doesn't rob too much power.

Next month with the new job i'll do my exhaust mods. Im keeping everything stock just short headers and 200 cell cat, nice cheap boost of hp and tq (+25). Mufflers i'll do later probably Eisenmann race cans down the road. Your in southbay right? i can come by when its all done to check it out.
Heres some sound clips from board member A' La F1 with that setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn_0IdzTRfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bCjVobeG8E

Last edited by GiZzO; 06-29-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GiZzO
Resonator sits right under you. Serveral car buddies told me not to remove it on a v8, unless you just want alot of noise. That whirl at idle would be cut down. Its cleans the annoying unwanted sounds your hearing and the AMG version resonator as AMS puts is "A perfect design" so doesn't rob too much power.

Next month with the new job i'll do my exhaust mods. Im keeping everything stock just short headers and 200 cell cat, nice cheap boost of hp and tq (+25). Mufflers i'll do later probably Eisenmann race cans down the road. Your in southbay right? i can come by when its all done to check it out.
Heres some sound clips from board member A' La F1 with that setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn_0IdzTRfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bCjVobeG8E

There are times when i'm just tired of my setup, and i'm so close to putting my resonator back on just cause. but Yeah, let me know whats up one of these days. i'm actually out in Long Beach... not SouthBay
Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
did you notice any loss of low end torque with that setup?
any youtube sound clip? that would be interesting...

I'm looking to actually just throw in a magnaflow muffler with the resonator deleted. Retain both cat due to local law requirements.
Yep...

Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 AM

2006 A180 CDI
Hell, take that resonator of and then put a nice sounding turbo muffler on with twin tips .....a turbo muffler sounds somewhat like the old glasspack .....or if you really want noise that sounds good too put on a Cherry Bomb Tail Bomb (4" outlet muffler)with straight piping clear to the rear of the car 1st...heh,heh !
Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by Gundo
Yep...

thanks for the video....
that's a nice sounding V8. But I would want more of a raspy or raspier sound!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
HaHa.... i wish turning up my radio would eliminate the "droning". it's not all the time that my car "drones". i would say.... that my car would drone 7 out of 10 times when driving. droning would depend on...

- how hot/cold it is outside
- whether the a/c is on
- if i'm going uphill
- whether the car's been driven all day
- etc

i'm setup is... resonator deleted with stainless steel piping off a custom one-off muffler with quad outlets.

i love my setup simply because when you're outside and you listen to the car, it sounds just like a badass V8... it has that strong muscle sound. but when you're on the inside... it sounds very much different. "errrrrrrrrrgh"

what setup do you have?

p.s. - i wonder if that little "project" that me, you, and williams is planning out is gonna enhance the agressiveness of our exhaust. that'd be pretty sick.
Me... Nothing really special; I just have a full custom exhaust from front to back. Proprietary manifolds, mid-pipe, center section, deleted primary cats, two (2) 200 cell race cats in the secondary cat locations, extended O2 sensors behind the race cats, Innovate wideband O2, no resonator and an Eissenmann muffler. Although, I am seriously thinking of getting a Magnaflow muffler!! So if anyone wants my old muffler, Let me know.

Our little project will add a lil baratone to your setup!!!

Honestly, if you have a 320, 430 and even a 55 deleting the resonator will, in my opinion, enhance the sound of the engine note. It nothing more than a sound buffer, that's it, that's all. As far as deleting the muffler, I will leave that up to the V12TT guys.

Last edited by Ghostrider; 07-02-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:26 AM

So if you delete the muffler and the resonator do you loose power? I have deleted my resonator and muffler, wanna no if there is a power loss? And what is the best way to have it set up for nice sound and more power? Thanks
Old 07-04-2009, 03:37 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
resonator no loss in power its just for sound. Muffler you may loose torque numbers.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:28 PM

in your opinion which muffler would be good? not too expensive but sounds nice?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Q: Resonator and Muffler delete