CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I need your opinion.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 - W163
I need your opinion.....

Okay i have a CLK430 with 19" AMG CL rims. I was looking at illuminated door sills, and they say AMG. I also saw the AMG license plate holders from Mercedes, i was thinking if it would be okay to put them on. I dont have an AMG badge nor do i plan on putting one on, my car is fully debadged. I just have the AMG rims, AMG steering wheel, and AMG kit and hopefully an AMG Brake kit. Thanks.

-Vik
Old 02-16-2003, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say no, because it is not a genuine AMG model.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Cool

I'd say do whatever you wan't. What do you care what other people think or say. It's your car, plus you have the AMG kit and wheels.
People get the Lorinser, Carlsson or Brabus body kit, and they usually put on the appropriate badge on.
As long as you don't put a CLK55 badge....go ahead.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
i have seen cars in the showroom like last year with AMG badges on them but they were CLK430s. Did the factory do this? Ive seen many on the road as well.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce

............I'm sure you are not serious. The guy just want to put door sills on his car and a license plate holder. These are accessories. He is not badging his car AMG. Your response takes this whole debate a bit too far. What about his AMG rims, should he remove those too? By the way CLK 430 comes stock with the AMG body kit and the AMG wheels........should MB stop doing that too? I think we should all lighten up a bit.

Ted
Old 02-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Almost a Member!

I think it's cool to have a AMG plate frame on a 430...it's got AMG rims and body work.

People with rims and body work from Lorinser or Brabus or Carlsson, but without a full works engine from them, probably won't hesistate to put a plate frame or even a badge from those companies.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Almost a Member!

are the CL AMG rims drop ins for the CLK? I thought the CLKs use 12mm bolts while the CL used 14mm. Did you use adapter spacers?

Now I"m going to have to search the sticky thread to check out your car's pic!
Old 02-16-2003, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Ted Baldwin

............I'm sure you are not serious. The guy just want to put door sills on his car and a license plate holder. These are accessories. He is not badging his car AMG. Your response takes this whole debate a bit too far. What about his AMG rims, should he remove those too? By the way CLK 430 comes stock with the AMG body kit and the AMG wheels........should MB stop doing that too? I think we should all lighten up a bit.

Ted
I think putting a license plate holder with AMG on it is the equivalent of putting a Type R sticker on a ricer. Is it a real type R? No. If the car had some parts from the Type R and puts on a Type R sticker, what would you think if you saw that car on the road?

He can do whatever he wants it's his car, but personally I think labeling your car with AMG on the license plate is like putting on a Type R sticker on a Honda. Yes, we've heard the debate before Ted about whether a car is labeled AMG or not with AMG parts or a real AMG model, but some people will think it a bit cheesy, that was my point.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Almost a Member!

I think putting a license plate holder with AMG on it is the equivalent of putting a Type R sticker on a ricer. Is it a real type R? No. If the car had some parts from the Type R and puts on a Type R sticker, what would you think if you saw that car on the road?
I think that would be equivalent to putting an AMG badge on the car. That topic's been beaten to death! However, viktorious is talking about a license plate frame and door sill.

Besides, with that line of reasoning, we can only conclude that a person should not put license plate frames with Lorinser or Brabus on their cars unless the cars were built by Lorinser or Brabus. That's a pretty strick "letter of the law" attitude. There are people who has all Lorinser body work and wheels...surely if they put a Lorinser plate frame on their car, it wouldn't be inaccurate. Some people have the Brabus "B" in lieu of the hood ornament.

A type R is a model from a car maker. Putting Type R stickers all over your car is like putting CLK 55 on your 430.

AMG is a car tuner and still sells parts out, much like Lorinser or Brabus. If a guy has a mustang and puts a full Saleen body kit and wheels on, but leaves the engine stock, should he be ashamed of putting on a Saleen plate frame, or even better, should he be ashamed of putting on the Saleen signature pinstripes and Saleen stickers? Basically a CLK 430 has a full AMG body kit and AMG wheels.....isn't it?

Anyways, its just a plate frame. Doesn't mean much. Few people notice it. It makes for a grippy surface when closing your trunk. Doubt anybody will see your AMG plate frame and think that you car MUST be a CLK 55. Heck, most people can't even tell you the difference between a CLK 320 or a 55!!!

By the way, I had the opportunity to meet Alois Ruf at his factory back in summer '94. My buddy and I each picked up a set of 18" RUF rims and RUF rear wings for our 993 and 993 cab (which we had just picked up via tourist delivery from Porsche, not RUF). Mr Ruf insisted that we accept complimentary hood ornaments and had his guys put it on our cars for free! All we had were RUF rims and wing, but if Mr Ruf thought it was ok to rebadge our cars...well, who am I to argue?

By the way, this is not a flame!
Old 02-17-2003, 12:17 AM
Almost a Member!

According to a previous salemanager (David Yu) at Penske Motorcars in LA, they put the AMG badges on their CLK 430, SLK Sport, S/CL Sport if you want it...no charge. They also throw in a free AMG (or MB plate frame) if you ask for it. And how can we forget the crystal Tiffany & Co. candy bowl they send to your home?
Old 02-17-2003, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by TripleBlackAMG
I think that would be equivalent to putting an AMG badge on the car. That topic's been beaten to death! However, viktorious is talking about a license plate frame and door sill.

Besides, with that line of reasoning, we can only conclude that a person should not put license plate frames with Lorinser or Brabus on their cars unless the cars were built by Lorinser or Brabus. That's a pretty strick "letter of the law" attitude. There are people who has all Lorinser body work and wheels...surely if they put a Lorinser plate frame on their car, it wouldn't be inaccurate. Some people have the Brabus "B" in lieu of the hood ornament.

A type R is a model from a car maker. Putting Type R stickers all over your car is like putting CLK 55 on your 430.

AMG is a car tuner and still sells parts out, much like Lorinser or Brabus. If a guy has a mustang and puts a full Saleen body kit and wheels on, but leaves the engine stock, should he be ashamed of putting on a Saleen plate frame, or even better, should he be ashamed of putting on the Saleen signature pinstripes and Saleen stickers? Basically a CLK 430 has a full AMG body kit and AMG wheels.....isn't it?

Anyways, its just a plate frame. Doesn't mean much. Few people notice it. It makes for a grippy surface when closing your trunk. Doubt anybody will see your AMG plate frame and think that you car MUST be a CLK 55. Heck, most people can't even tell you the difference between a CLK 320 or a 55!!!

By the way, I had the opportunity to meet Alois Ruf at his factory back in summer '94. My buddy and I each picked up a set of 18" RUF rims and RUF rear wings for our 993 and 993 cab (which we had just picked up via tourist delivery from Porsche, not RUF). Mr Ruf insisted that we accept complimentary hood ornaments and had his guys put it on our cars for free! All we had were RUF rims and wing, but if Mr Ruf thought it was ok to rebadge our cars...well, who am I to argue?

By the way, this is not a flame!
You guys are blowing this thing out of proportion. He asked for our opinions. I simply expressed my opinion, which I'm entitled to, don't you think?

Like i said, he can do anything he wants, it's his car, but I wouldn't go putting AMG labels on a car that isn't a genuine AMG, whether or not it has AMG parts. It's one thing to have AMG parts, and another thing to be an AMG.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
He should probably get the AMG logo's shaved off his stock wheels then too, huh? ;0)
Old 02-17-2003, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Josh K
He should probably get the AMG logo's shaved off his stock wheels then too, huh? ;0)
Yeah, if you say so.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
In my opinion, its okay. As long as you dont badge your car as a 55 and you have a lot of AMG goodies, its fine. You paid for the AMG stuff (kit, wheels, etc..) ..
Old 02-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

In my opinion, its okay. As long as you dont badge your car as a 55 and you have a lot of AMG goodies, its fine. You paid for the AMG stuff (kit, wheels, etc..) ..
I'd second that.

He asked for our opinions. I simply expressed my opinion, which I'm entitled to, don't you think?
I'd second that too.

He should probably get the AMG logo's shaved off his stock wheels then too, huh?
They have wheels like that, but I think they're made in Taiwan and sell for $695 for 4!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:22 PM

02 clk320
According to a previous salemanager (David Yu) at Penske Motorcars in LA, they put the AMG badges on their CLK 430, SLK Sport, S/CL Sport if you want it...no charge. They also throw in a free AMG (or MB plate frame) if you ask for it. And how can we forget the crystal Tiffany & Co. candy bowl they send to your home?

I agree with u, I show it so many time 430clk with a AMG badge on...I also show on the ad it said 430 clk with AMG package...
Old 02-17-2003, 07:28 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
I don't get those freebies and I definitely don't get a Tiffany's candy bowl....All I get was a hearty handshake from my sales........I felt so mistreated now

Last edited by LAMAY123; 02-17-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:38 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
My .02's

The Tiffany candy bowl is a very nice touch, but you know you payed for it, still a very nice touch though.

It's your car...if it makes you feel good put on whatever you want, just enjoy it, be respectful of others and be safe
Old 02-18-2003, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
I say do what you want to do, but you must tell us how you fit CL wheels on your CLK, and then must post pics!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:08 AM

2007 Mercedes S550 Brabus
yup yup.. just do whatever you want to do! That's it... definitely, it is your car. Who cares if you put CLK500 on CLK430, even though they have totally different body style?

Some people might think weird, but again, WHO CARES? It's YOUR CAR!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
ill probably end up just getting the good old Mercedes-Benz chrome frame and Mercedes-Benz illuminated door sills. I dont people flamming on me because i put an AMG plate frame on. Oh well, its still a Mercedes-Benz, cant go wrong with that.

(Safet- Yes it does have all Mercedes-Benz parts and a true Mercedes-Benz, i hope.)

-Vik
Old 02-18-2003, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Viktorious
ill probably end up just getting the good old Mercedes-Benz chrome frame and Mercedes-Benz illuminated door sills. I dont people flamming on me because i put an AMG plate frame on. Oh well, its still a Mercedes-Benz, cant go wrong with that.

(Safet- Yes it does have all Mercedes-Benz parts and a true Mercedes-Benz, i hope.)

-Vik
Dude, I said it's your car so do whatever you like.

If I were you, I wouldn't even go on the board to ask for peoples opinions. Who cares? Just do it!!
Old 02-18-2003, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Yep.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:47 PM

CLK 320
Stick with the AMG trademark! That's what grabs you . Get the AMG trunk badge even. It's your car. Design it however you like. Just don't forget to post pics when you're done.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

dude, everybody (almost) said it's no big thing if you put an AMG plate frame on your car. Even if it was, it's still your car.

With that said, the Mercedes plate frames are very nice. I actually have no plate frame, but it sucks grabbing the plates to close the trunk...maybe I'll get that plate trunk grip....anybody know where I can get one cheeeeeeeeeeeap?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need your opinion.....