CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Everything happens at once!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 clk 320
Everything happens at once!!!!

I have searched this topic many many times with no unveil, my steering wheel is starting to vibrate now, not bad but i can feel it. it happened all of a sudden. i started the car and it doesnt do it so much as when its in Park then in Drive or Reverse when its in those modes i can really feel it vibrate.

Any ideas whats wrong. my wheels are fine as with my wheel balance. please any suggestions is greatful. my car doesnt shake at all. just the steering wheel, its got 87,000 miles. its an 00 clk 320.

Since it has gotten cold here maybe in the 50's. there is a sudden downshift jerk when i am slowing down from 2nd gear to 1st gear, any reason why this is happening, i have read some threads about this as well with no unveil, The MAS was replaced back in 04. any ideas on what is causing the steering wheel to vibrate? and the transmission to do a sudden downjerk like that?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Hmmm?

Could be steering damper, drag link, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. you have a lot of miles so if it were me I would have someone check every connection on the front end. transmission: have you ever change the fluid? GETTER DONE!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I'd check the motor mounts. They're a normal wear item.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:30 AM

2000 clk 320
Thank you all for the replies. 87,000 miles isnt really a lot of miles for a Mercedes! but i understand where you are coming from. now is there anyway to see if i need new motor mounts, is there any visual i can do to see if i need new ones?

Now about the Transmission fluid, i know MB dealership say its lifetime, but if i change the fluid would it really make a difference? i just dont want to shell out money when there is no need to, i think you understand! Times are hard this year,
Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
With the car on the rack, look at the motor mounts. If they appear to be sagging, and there is dried liquid (antifreeze) under them, they leaked and should be replaced. When you install the new mounts, you may want to clean the old spot so you can see when the new mounts leak (which will be years from now). If you have the original mounts on the car, it is very likely that they are worn out (leak).

As for transmission fluid, years ago Mercedes-Benz decided their "permanent fill fluid" should be changed at regular intervals. Even if the shifting is unrelated to the fluid, it should be changed. My local dealer has changed my fluid twice.