CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

service and maintenance costs after 50k miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2003 | 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
service and maintenance costs after 50k miles?

typically, how much am I looking at once the 50,00 mile free maintenance period ends?

I'm buying a 00 CLK430 with about 30k miles

I know there's service A and service B maintenance, and usually done once a year right? How much do dealers typically charge for these? So far, I know oil changes for $89, but I'll prolly limit that to once a year, and change the oil myself between work done at dealers.

I'm a lil scared cos I read somwhere these services costs around $2000-3000 for every 10,000 miles. Good gawd!!!

Last edited by james330i; 03-04-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2003 | 02:24 PM
Almost a Member!

clk 320
Service A should cost about $250 and service B about $450
Old 03-04-2003 | 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont believe those prices reflect cars that are not under warranty. At $90 an hour, those costs would be a small fraction of the labor alone. I believe James is referring to cars that are out of warranty. Only problem is there arent that many people on this board with clk's out of warranty.
Old 03-04-2003 | 08:07 PM
Almost a Member!

clk 320
I bought my used '99 CLK 320 in November 2002. The 4 year warranty expired 2 weeks before I got the car, on November 8th 2002. I had A service done in February. They charged me around $250. They gave me a quote of around $450 for B service. These prices were also posted on the wall in the service department (Chicago MB dealer.) All they really do is change the oil, lube, and do a cursory check of the car. If you look at what is actually included, even these prices are VERY high.

$2000+ would be way, way, way out of bounds!!

Has anyone else ever been charged significantly more than this for A or B service at a dealer??
Old 03-04-2003 | 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like u got charged $250 for an oil change.
I thought they were suppose to do more maintenance things.
Old 03-04-2003 | 09:30 PM
Almost a Member!

clk 320
This is what is included in this dealer A/B service. Which is absolutely consistent with the required A & B service in the service book and in the owners manual. But you are correct........ "A" service is basically an oil change and a brief look at the car. $250 is a lot. $2000-$30000 is ridiculous....

I would like to know if your dealer does anything significantly more than this for A service, whether under warranty or not??? What do they claim they do at that price?????

Flexible Service System - A-Service
What we do:
- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models
- Ensure the warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp
wiper and washer systems, and seat belts are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter

Flexible Service System - B-Service
What we do:
- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models,
and in S-Class and SL-Class models without the active charcoal filter
- Replace windshield wiper inserts
- Inspect and rotate tires
- Lubricate and inspect throttle linkage
- Ensure the parking brake, steering play, headlamps and exterior lamps,
warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp wiper and washer
systems, seat belts, and backrest lock (S-Class only) are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Inspect front axle ball joints and Poly-V-belt
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
Old 03-04-2003 | 11:24 PM

No longer car shopping...
It's a boatload less than the BMW service

Yep, they basically charge you (out of warranty guys) $250/$450 to simply "take a look" at the car and do a basic oil change. But that's still a lit less than the costs to do this on my last car (BMW 740iL). They charged around $400 and $600 for the same service. And of course, belts, hoses, etc were NOT covered. It's important to have these inspections done by the dealer for an "in warranty" car because, quite honestly, few of us on here would buy one that wasn't being properly maintained by the dealer. Once it's out of warranty, you can take it about anywhere but might still find that the continual dealer services will be of value to the next guy buying your car. Once my 740iLl got over 100K, the cost for repairs started to become prohibitive ($1,200 to $2,000) every visit (Water pump (twice), power steering pump, etc). And that was for a car that had been serviced RELIGIOUSLY since I bought it.
Old 03-05-2003 | 05:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Called the dealer last week and they told me the A service was like $2,100, and B was like $3100...totally outrageous IMO. if your car is out of warranty...go to a reputable MB mechanic shop other then the dealer. they will perform the same service the dealer does. and they will charge you a fraction of what the "Stealership" will.
Old 03-05-2003 | 06:53 PM
Almost a Member!

clk 320
I am just amazed by that quote!! What city was that in?

I had "A" service, PLUS had my coolant system flushed, PLUS my ball joint replaced, PLUS my HVAC motor AND regulator replaced, PLUS a wheel alignment.

The TOTAL bill was $2100 at a Mercedes Dealer. They also reimbursed me for $30 in cab fares.

What have others on this board paid for A or B service???
Old 03-05-2003 | 07:03 PM
Almost a Member!

This quote was from House of Imports in Buena Park, Ca. believe it or not! thats what they quoted me. their # is 1800-Mercedes(637-2333) call for yourself. unless their was something about my voice that they didn't like...lol
Old 03-05-2003 | 07:21 PM
Almost a Member!

clk 320
Well this is very strange .... I looked at their website and the A / B service descriptions are EXACTLY the same on the my dealer's.

(Then I DID call!!) I told them I have a '99 CLK and want to know how much A service is. They said $219.95. And B service is $339.95. So, they are actually LESS than my dealer.

????????????????????????