CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

trans shift to neutral

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
trans shift to neutral

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum. I am barreling down a four lane about 80 and the light changes where I normally make my right turn to head home. So I come around the turn fairly hard and kit it down to make the next light because I know it's going to turn if I don't hurry. Just as I kick it down and the trans downshifts(I think) the light ahead turns orange so i back off the throttle but say to myself "what the hell; there's no traffic. I'll kick it down again and blast through the light." I hit the throttle and the motor races freely cuz the transmission is in neutral. OMG! I thought I bumped the lever so I grab it and pull it back to what I thought was Drive. NADA! The shift lever goes up and back like theres no gearbox connected to it and the engine revs freely like it's in neutral(cuz it is). I coast slow through the intersection, put on the four-ways, stop the car, put it in park, turn the key off, start the car, put it in D and away we go. Thank you God! Somehow that puppy slipped into neutral and wouldn't come out until total shut down. Interesting, don't you think?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 PM

2001 CLK 320
check your fluid..i had the same exact problem, and it turned out to be low on fluid..it happened to me every time i slowed suddenly..i have a slow leak in the tranny where i need a simple o-ring replacement
Old 11-15-2009, 12:55 PM

2kCLK320
It may be some kind of shifting linkage, Its like a 3 dollar part I think. Only reason I know about it is MD dealer told me it was loose and could pop into neutral on the highway, they wanted 150 to replace it.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
there's no leak. I would have seen it on my garage floor by now. As far as linkage is concerned: but, it's never done it before nor since that one time. thanks for your reponse. (????????)