CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP--Mercedes is in the process of screwing me over

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK
HELP--Mercedes is in the process of screwing me over

2002 CLK430--first here is the service history

1-6/13/08 61,966mi Customer states trans slips and has delayed angagement. Repair- serviced trans, changed fluid and filter, found fluid contaminated (didnt say what with)

2-7/5/08 63,094mi Owner states coolant leak. Repair-fan shroud hitting upper radiator hose, oil in radiator due to internal cooler leak, replace radiator and service trans due to glycol contamination

3-9/3/08 64,726mi Owner states oil in coolant reservoir and trans "bangs" real hard when shifting. Repair-oil in coolant tank from previous leak also flushed trans fluid and checked system.

4-12/2/08 67,224mi Customer states "check on previous trans repair. (One could ONLY presume that if everything was OK with the trans they wouldnt have askd them to check it)

5-10/5/09 79,957 Customer states trans stumbles on 2-3 shift Repair-adaptations for K2 clutch at limits quote replacement trans

6-10/09/09 Customer states check trans Repair--Removed transmission pan found severe glycol contamination, R/R trans, rebuild, found lip seals damaged from glycol contamination, replace radiator.

Owner #1 bought the radiator (cust pay) I am owner #3. My trans repair was "just outside" of their 12/12 parts warranty. I contacted the dealer that installed the rad originally. After some time they told me that their region MB rep told them there would be NO assistance from MB on this issue. The dealer service manager stated that his rep didnt even give him a case # on this matter.

There is NO WAY anyone can convince me that the rad was not leaking glycol prior to the expiration of the 12/12 waranty. Is this how MB treats their customers?? Is this how MB stands behind their product?? I spent the last 30 years a loyal GM customer and this is my first anything else. MB advertises "superior engineering"---I have my doubts. Any assistance here in dealing with MB would be appreciated.

Last edited by hotrodneb; 11-19-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Every wonder why a car is sold? Some times it’s because the first owner knows an expensive bill is coming. The dealer found contaminated fluid in the first service. It doesn’t say they fixed the root problem - the radiator was leaking. It says they did a transmission service. Any tech who's been around the block knows that didn't fix the leak. Also, the 2002 model year doesn’t have a torque converter drain plug, so I have doubts that all the transmission fluid (and coolant) was removed. Since the service writer gets paid by the job, I believe they probably recommended a transmission, and the owner said "no". A thousand miles later - SURPRISE! The transmission fluid is contaminated again. I have very little doubt that that service writer STILL couldn’t talk the owner into buying a new transmission at that point. I think the service writer tried, but the owner wasn't buying it. *I believe* the owner decided to pay for a radiator and a trans service, and to sell the car before the big transmission bill is due.

Your transmission was on it’s way out in June of 2008. The very first time the clutches saw ethylene glycol (antifreeze) they started coming apart. Right now, the radiator they just took out of your car may still be good. Why do I say that? Dealers replace subsystems. They saw coolant in the transmission and followed the manual. The service manual says replace radiator AND rebuild transmission.

I think the beef is with the owner who intentionally dumped a car with a bad transmission. I don’t think you’re going to see a dime from MBUSA – UNLESS you had a PPI done at a dealer. If you had a dealer perform an inspection, and they missed the dead trans MAYBE MBUSA will help you out. Then again, they may tell you to take that up with the dealer who did the inspection.

Did you buy the car from the dealer who originally replaced the radiator? If so, the arguement can be made that they knowingly sold you a car with a bad transmission.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 PM

2002 CLK
fair AND valid points you make, cant disagree with a single one. I unerstand competely the risks of purchasing a used vehicle. I am also a former GM service manager myself.

But there still remains the fact that the dealer replaced the radiator assembly and it failed. Understandably this would be a parts warranty issue. Also to what would the trans failure be credited to. You credit it to the first rad faiure, couldnt it be the second rad failure? There is nothing other than minor shifting issues reported until the second radiator failure.

edit---i reread your post

1--thank you for responding
2-I believe you misread the repair history. It is
(1)simple trans service---(2)glycol in trans / rad replace----(3)service trans again(possible convertor issue you note)----(4)severe glycol in trans, overhaul trans and replace radiator the second time.

Last edited by hotrodneb; 11-19-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by hotrodneb
2002 CLK430--first here is the service history

1-6/13/08 61,966mi Customer states trans slips and has delayed angagement. Repair- serviced trans, changed fluid and filter, found fluid contaminated (didnt say what with)

2-7/5/08 63,094mi Owner states coolant leak. Repair-fan shroud hitting upper radiator hose, oil in radiator due to internal cooler leak, replace radiator and service trans due to glycol contamination

3-9/3/08 64,726mi Owner states oil in coolant reservoir and trans "bangs" real hard when shifting. Repair-oil in coolant tank from previous leak also flushed trans fluid and checked system.

4-12/2/08 67,224mi Customer states "check on previous trans repair. (One could ONLY presume that if everything was OK with the trans they wouldnt have askd them to check it)

5-10/5/09 79,957 Customer states trans stumbles on 2-3 shift Repair-adaptations for K2 clutch at limits quote replacement trans

6-10/09/09 Customer states check trans Repair--Removed transmission pan found severe glycol contamination, R/R trans, rebuild, found lip seals damaged from glycol contamination, replace radiator.

Owner #1 bought the radiator (cust pay) I am owner #3. My trans repair was "just outside" of their 12/12 parts warranty. I contacted the dealer that installed the rad originally. After some time they told me that their region MB rep told them there would be NO assistance from MB on this issue. The dealer service manager stated that his rep didnt even give him a case # on this matter.

There is NO WAY anyone can convince me that the rad was not leaking glycol prior to the expiration of the 12/12 waranty. Is this how MB treats their customers?? Is this how MB stands behind their product?? I spent the last 30 years a loyal GM customer and this is my first anything else. MB advertises "superior engineering"---I have my doubts. Any assistance here in dealing with MB would be appreciated.

I believe I understand your post. It appears someone had the fluid changed 3 times in the summer of 2008. To me, that’s sounds like something was wrong with the transmission in 2008. Whoever owned that car in 2008 knew the transmission was bad.

BTW, what does a dealer charge for a rebuilt transmission?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:03 AM

2002 CLK
You miss that the radiator was replaced TWICE-----I am at least looking for them to warranty the rad that certainly MUST have failed within the 12/12. This MUST be the case for there to be "severe glycol contamination" and a trans failure on 10/09/09.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
I didn't miss it. My main point wasn't the radiator. A radiator is only $180 ($240 without the MBCA discount). My main point was the several thousand dollars worth of transmission. If your main concern is the radiator, it would be nice if the dealer gave you a discount. That's something your service writer should work on. You had him do a transmission, so a free loaner and a price discount seems reasonable. I've always negotiated discounts up front. If the work has already been done or the money has changed hands, that will be a tougher negotiation.