CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK430 vs GS400, who wins ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Talking

LOH- Well Said, Very well said! There are many factors affecting performance and given that everything from tire quality to transmission gearing affects performance it is almost impossible to judge which car is objectively 'faster' (like it matters!)
Which leaves us to the 'subjective' part of the debate. I found the GS in 1997 an imitation of the ground-breaking E-class, further showing Lexus as a segment follower and not a leader. I find the Toyota leather cheap and flimsy, and the transmission and suspension to be very 'robotic and basic.'
That said, I prefer a car made by a manufacturer with History. ot car company that was just "named" only 13 years ago, but one that has participated in the course of human history as industry and technology has grown with the human race.
It is these intangibles, plus the fact that Toyota seems fixated on FOLLOWING Mercedes-Benz, rather than LEADING, that I feel the CLK 430 comes out on top.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:08 AM
LOH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, since the original question was an objective question, I tried to stay away from a subjective answer. For the record I thought the original Guigaro designed GS300 was a gorgeous car and was disappointed when the Toyota in-house designed replacement came out but the V8 was a great move.

I just thought the performance of these two cars was too close to give an easy definitive answer. Now, CLK vs. Echo or CLK vs. 360 Modena (my current favorite), those I can answer.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
0-60 I can see the GS beating the CLK, but no 60-120. I don't see it. And what would you rather drive, a toyota, or CLK 430. And yes I said toyota. It's a camry with the Land Crusier engine.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:23 PM

CLK 430 Coupe + MGF + 1980 Camaro
Originally posted by J Lucas
UK auto car is wrong, every other mag and lexus themselves rates the hp at 300. Just because you have a clk430 doesnt mean you have to be ignorant about other cars in the same class.
The gs is just a faster car, i have a clk 430 and its just true.just give it up.
J lucas ...i would suggest you tell lexus as well then....

http://www.lexus.co.uk/specification...=specification

this is their web site.

give it up
Old 03-27-2003, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WELL ACTUALLY
If you go to
www.lexus.com not that uk crap......
and then go to GS 430/400 then go to PERFORMANCE you will see this

GS 430: 300-hp Engine
IT DOESN'T EAT THE COMPETITION FOR LUNCH. THEY'RE MORE OF A MIDDAY SNACK. With the sound of 300 horses, the 4.3-liter V8 is powered by an energetic four-cam, 32-valve engine that leaves other drivers struggling to catch up. With muscle like this, they don't have a chance. When do we eat?

Its obvious there is a different version in the UK but I live in the US and thus could careless about the UK and was referring to Us spec cars.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
IT DOESN'T EAT THE COMPETITION FOR LUNCH. THEY'RE MORE OF A MIDDAY SNACK.
Again, for CLK owners, I don't think we are easily impressed by dressed up Camary's, and that's MY OPINION. Besides, do you believe everything you read. I want to see side by side comparisons, numbers, etc..

Which would you prefer driving at 120+ a camry or a CLK?
Old 03-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by SoCalCLK
LOH- Well Said, Very well said! There are many factors affecting performance and given that everything from tire quality to transmission gearing affects performance it is almost impossible to judge which car is objectively 'faster' (like it matters!)
Which leaves us to the 'subjective' part of the debate. I found the GS in 1997 an imitation of the ground-breaking E-class, further showing Lexus as a segment follower and not a leader. I find the Toyota leather cheap and flimsy, and the transmission and suspension to be very 'robotic and basic.'
That said, I prefer a car made by a manufacturer with History. ot car company that was just "named" only 13 years ago, but one that has participated in the course of human history as industry and technology has grown with the human race.
It is these intangibles, plus the fact that Toyota seems fixated on FOLLOWING Mercedes-Benz, rather than LEADING, that I feel the CLK 430 comes out on top.
What a way to live on a car past not present.B.S

Last edited by rogers; 03-28-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:06 PM

Lexus GS 450h
You do know your CLK is based on the C-class platform correct? It has the E-class headlights though and engine choices.
0-60 I can see the GS beating the CLK, but no 60-120. I don't see it. And what would you rather drive, a toyota, or CLK 430. And yes I said toyota. It's a camry with the Land Crusier engine.
OMG, this is sad.
Well, since the original question was an objective question, I tried to stay away from a subjective answer. For the record I thought the original Guigaro designed GS300 was a gorgeous car and was disappointed when the Toyota in-house designed replacement came out but the V8 was a great move.
Yeah, the 1st gen GS looked great but only a I-6 was offered here. In Japan, the car was offered with the TT 320hp as well. It still is in the 2nd gen there.

I will post acceleration times tonight. They will be close.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Yeah, you think, and that's so bad because....... Lets see 7500 CLK's imported a year to guarantee excellence in performance, style, quality and value as compared to 75000 Camry's, whooops, I mean GS's, imported into the US. I will say it again, what would you rather drive, and what turns more heads, a CLK or Camry/GS?

Here is a comparably equiped version of the GS. This has most of the features my clk does, yet is the same price, for a Camry, and the residual, well, lets just say that, I could've gotten the AMG for the payment of the GS.

Base MSRP* $47,825.00

Delivery, Processing
& Handling Fee† $575.00

Available Packages
$4,340.00
Mark Levinson Audio/Lexus DVD Navigation System with Additional Options
Mark Levinson Audio/Lexus DVD Navigation System includes: Lexus DVD Navigation System With Compass, Mark Levinson Audio System
Additional Options:
- 17" Summer Tires
- Rear Spoiler
- Trunk Mat
- Wheel Locks
- Wood & Leather Steering Wheel

Accessory Options
17" Summer Tires Included
Lexus DVD Navigation System With Compass Included
Mark Levinson Audio System Included
Rear Spoiler Included
Trunk Mat Included
Wheel Locks Included
Wood & Leather Steering Wheel Included
Six-Disc CD Auto-Changer (see dealer)
$0.00

Total MSRP** $52,740.00
STANDARD FEATURES

Performance Features
4.3-liter, four-cam, 32-valve V8 engine with continuously Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
300 horsepower, 325 lb-ft of torque
Five-speed Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i)
Four-wheel independent double-wishbone suspension
Gas-pressurized shock absorbers with front rebound springs
Vehicle-speed-sensing progressive power Rack-and-Pinion Steering
Four-wheel power-assisted front ventilated and solid rear disc brakes
16" aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/55R16 tires
Fuel economy: 18/23 mpg city/highway††

Safety Features
Dual front airbags, front seat-mounted side airbags, and front side curtain airbags, Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)††††
Three-Point Safety Belts for all seating positions, front with manual height-adjustable anchors, including front seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters
Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) with integrated Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist and Traction Control (TRAC)
Energy managing Crumple Zones and side-impact door beams
Theft-deterrent system with Engine Immobilizer
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps
Integrated foglamps
Automatic on/off headlamps
Daytime running lights
Variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist control
First aid kit

Luxury And Convenience Features
Perforated leather-trimmed interior with Lexus Memory System
Multi-adjustable power front seats
GenuineLimited-Slip DifferentialwalnutLimited-Slip DifferentialinteriorLimited-Slip Differentialtrim
Electrochromic auto-dimming inside/outside mirrors
Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade
Dual power-heated outside mirrors
Height-adjustable headrests including rear-center
Dual-zone climate control
Automatic Recirculation with Smog Sensor and air filter
In-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer
Lexus AM/FM/cassette Premium Sound System with seven speakers with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) and Radio Data System (RDS)
In-glass antenna with FM diversity system
Power windows with one-touch auto open/close feature
Power door locks with driver's door two-turn unlock feature
Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with automatic tilt-away
Key integrated multi-function remote entry system
White Backlit Optitron Instrumentation
Outside temperature indicator
Illuminated entry system
Lexus HomeLink® universal transceiver
Infrared and UV reduction glass
Compass
Carpeted floor mats
Heated front seats

Last edited by ldangeli; 03-27-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:28 AM

WELL ACTUALLY
If you go to
www.lexus.com not that uk crap......
and then go to GS 430/400 then go to PERFORMANCE you will see this

GS 430: 300-hp Engine
IT DOESN'T EAT THE COMPETITION FOR LUNCH. THEY'RE MORE OF A MIDDAY SNACK. With the sound of 300 horses, the 4.3-liter V8 is powered by an energetic four-cam, 32-valve engine that leaves other drivers struggling to catch up. With muscle like this, they don't have a chance. When do we eat?

Its obvious there is a different version in the UK but I live in the US and thus could careless about the UK and was referring to Us spec cars.
maybe you should go and post on a lexus board for U.S. lexus owners then... rather than a mercedes boards that welcomes posts on mercedes from anyone anywhere in any country!

F.Y.I. I couldnt care less about a GS being a little faster than a stock CLK in the U.S. ..... nothing would make me move over to a euro spec lexus.....
Old 03-28-2003, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Pffelan
maybe you should go and post on a lexus board for U.S. lexus owners then... rather than a mercedes boards that welcomes posts on mercedes from anyone anywhere in any country!

F.Y.I. I couldnt care less about a GS being a little faster than a stock CLK in the U.S. ..... nothing would make me move over to a euro spec lexus.....
Maybe you should go blow me...

You dudes are getting so caught up in defending your own car you totally digressed off the main question of the thread. I love my car too but im not being LAME about it.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:39 AM

You dudes are getting so caught up in defending your own car you totally digressed off the main question of the thread. I love my car too but im not being LAME about it.
digressed...????

the whole point of the thread is which car is faster... you say a u.s. market lexus is faster... i say a euro lexus is slower..

seems pretty on topic to me?

no argument from me on your point now we have established that the cars are different....we each have evidense from the mfr to show this to be correct.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Gents, it boils down to two simple words, Toyota Camry
Old 03-28-2003, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Thumbs up

Now that's what I'm saying! Call it like it is! What are people who drive TOYOTA CAMRYS doing on this Board for Mercedes-Benz Owners and Fans! FIND YOUR OWN BOARD!!
The truth is whatever Mercedes-Benz ORIGINTATES, Lex...I mean TOYOTA, COPIES. Thus this argument is pointless because it is NOT a comparison of 2 equals, but of one Leader and one Follower (Toyota).
Followers, Copycats and Biters, please compare your Imitations of our cars ELSEWHERE...on the IMITATION BOARD or something...
Old 03-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
That quote is a little uncalled for here. Please show some mutual respect to the other members.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
So I was barrelin' down 287 yesterday and what did I see, a GS all pimped out! I have a new found respect for that car.... Toyota finally made a car that stands out.. From the rest of their tercel styled fleet.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The GS400 is a very impressive car ALL AROUND. , Great mix of luxury and performance and looks but it is still no clk 430......
Old 04-19-2003, 04:18 PM

Lexus GS 450h
Man, it is amazing how oblivious some of you are. The sad thing, ya'll have kids to teach, or maybe your teachers, or your in upper management, or training etc and have these sort of attitudes.

In 1998 the GS 400 was the FASTEST AUTOMATIC SEDAN ever tested. 0-60 in 5.7. Edmunds got a 0-60 in 5.5 in the car. No CLK has come close to this. The CLK is a great car but really, the GS is no Camry. They sell in limited quantities too. BTW, we don't have these kind of problems.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=lexus

Anyway, here is a pic of my Camry. Most of my mods are under the car. And I still prefer the CLK 430 to the CLK 500.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
No CLK has come close to this
Correction, no stock CLK430. The 55 will do it every day of the week. And a Kleemann CLK...
Old 04-20-2003, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
CAMRY

Are we still on this kick. For the last time, it is and always will be a Camry. It may be fast, but it is still a toyota. Now, Toyota makes a great car, and has been trying to break into the luxury market, which is fine, but it is certainly NO mercedes. And, you may want to check the stats again, in 98, it was a BMW that was faster then the YOTA. As far as automatic sedans go, what would you really have, a yota, or a Benz? :o
Old 04-23-2003, 05:09 PM

Lexus GS 450h
what would you really have, a yota, or a Benz?
a Yoda Heck I don't have any badges on my car, call it what u want bub. I wouldn't call it breaking the market. Lexus is the sales leader.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
YODA

First off, who cares, go to the lexus forum and talk up your car. Sales leader or not, there is nothing like getting in a Japanese car and being around all plastic. Pull your dash out, or pop your sunroof out, and they both say TOYOTA, PERIOD.

Second WHO CARES ITS STILL A TOYOTA, and this is the MERCEDES BENZ forum.

BTW, it's YOTA not YODA. TO-YOTA
Old 04-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Almost a Member!

I love it when the up-turned noses and raised pinkys emerge to explain how their Aryan supercar is superior to everything else on the planet.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
MB HATERS

I am going to quote SoCalCLK, who said it best.

Call it like it is! What are people who drive TOYOTA CAMRYS doing on this Board for Mercedes-Benz Owners and Fans! FIND YOUR OWN BOARD!!
Old 04-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Almost a Member!

I don't know about 1sicklex and others here who recognize the fact that Toyotas are very good automobiles, but I am a CLK 430 owner. I'm also somewhat of a "fan" of a select few M-Bs, but I'm not blind. They are only cars. They do some things right and some things wrong, but just because they are M-Bs they are not automatically the ****, regardless of what uninformed posers might want to believe.

MB HATERS
I am going to quote SoCalCLK, who said it best.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call it like it is! What are people who drive TOYOTA CAMRYS doing on this Board for Mercedes-Benz Owners and Fans! FIND YOUR OWN BOARD!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: CLK430 vs GS400, who wins ??