CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Newbie seeing constructive suggestions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
Newbie seeing constructive suggestions.

Total Newbie Constructive Ideas Welcome
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 1998 clk 320. This car was ridden hard and put away wet. The only thing I did was drive the car home about an hour and a half ride, and park it. From a quick once over here are the things I noticed the need addressed.

Check Engine Light (came on while I was filling the car up with gas, while leaving it running) I plan on getting a scope put on it to see if it will tell what that is.
Nasty Oversize Wheels aside from just being ugly, the car rode a little stiff and when changing lanes I could really feel the seams in the road. Never had big wheels with low profile tires before, but wonder if that would contribute to the poor ride.
BAS/ARS Light this light has since gone off. I'm typing this from memory, and I'm not totally sure about the second abbreviation (ARS) but I know from sure about the BAS. The break pedal was really hard to push in, yet the car didn't stop very well. The previoius owner said, he thought it was a vacume line. Again I'm an absolute newbie, so this could just be BS. I think this car has a brake assist system right (BAS) is that a vacume system?
Gaps Around Door Windows since there is now frame around the windows they just close against that rubber moulding. Well these windows don't tuck under that trim, instead they collapse or fold the rubber. Could the doors need hinge or latch work? You can see about a 1/4" gap at the back of the window.
Total Re-paint/Color Change The car is a medium gun metal gray, but because of paint flaking in certain areas (edge of panels) and inside the gas door, under the hood, I can see that the car was origianally white. I like the gray, but it isn't a real good quality job, and since I don't have a paint code, I think I am going to repaint the whole car again. Any opinions on wheather I should change it back to white?
Aftermarket Alpine D300 Indash CD/DVD/NAV/RADIO I'm not sure the professionalism of the installation of this system. I know the radio works, but that's all I've tried (on the ride home). There is no manual. There is some sort of on/off toggle switch mounted to the face of the original radio. I have no idea what it does. The aftermarket radio was mounted in the storage space under the original radio. There is also a cd changer in the trunk.
Interior Fair Condition the seats are good. Door panels have the leather sagging a bit, and the trim pieces (I guess they were plastic) are broken off. The headliner is filthy. The cloth isn't pulled away from the headliner, but the whole thing is hanging a little bit. A small space right behind the sun roof.

Any thoughts, ideas, and encouragement is welcome. I didn't pay a lot for this car, knowing that I was going to have to give it lots of love, but any advice on where to start or sources for parts, would be much appreciated.

Now I'm going to continue to read more posts. Peace Jeff
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Post pics...
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM

clk 320
Here are some pictures.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o231/teamgrn/
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
The check engine light came on because the vapor recovery system detectected a dramatiic change of pressure. That's normal. If you try to drive with the gas cap off you'll get the same results for different reasons.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 AM

clk 320
Thanks Marcus. That is probably part of it, but I started it tonight when I took the pictures and it also says electrical.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 AM

clk 430
if you are going to repaint i would recommend changing the body kit first( get rid of the black plastic). As for color i don't think you can go wrong with white. if you blacked out the rims they might not seem so flashy.

what size are the rims and tires?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM

clk 320
I am leaning to taking it back to the original color of white. The plastic only looks black in the pics. The whole thing is painted a slate blue/gray color. I'm not opposed to some sort of body kit. Do you have a suggestion of a source for that? The wheels are 18". The tires are a mix of 3 different brands. Off the top of my head the newest one is 275/45/18 I think. The previous owner gave me the receipt for that, but I'll check into it.

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
MRF

2008 Honda Civic EX, Potentially 1998 CLK320
I really like the color, and it's a shame that the paintjob is less than stellar. Taking it back to white is probably the easiest option since the jambs are already white mostly.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM

clk 320
Just check the reciept for the tire that was just put on last month. It is a Kuhmo ECSTA Spt. 225/45/18. Too bad I'm replacing it. I might have as much as 150 miles on it. The guy I bought the car from gave me the reciept, and he paid $150.86 for it. Maybe I'll put it on craigslist and see what I can get for it. Peace
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Well, first of all, welcome to the forum, Jeff.

I appreciate your willingness to give that car some love--looks like she needs it. I can't help with much, but do agree that you've gotta lose those wheels. They just don't look right. Regarding the paint, I prefer darker colors, but as previously noted it may be wiser to go back to the original white.

Best of luck with your project!