CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

OK need some advice on strange behaviour when turning wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
OK need some advice on strange behaviour when turning wheel?

This has been talked about before on the forum, but I cant find it.
The issue I have is I have got some new tyres for my car, and when I turn the steering wheel to nearly full lock and drive slowly there like a strange, thud, thud, thud from the tyre (NOT mechanical or power steering etc), until I begin to straighten the wheel again and it goes?. When this happens the car feels like its slipping slightly when turning.

The other point is that my new tryes are 235 x 40 x 18" and the old ones were 225 x 40 x 18", its hardly much of a difference but I thought it was worth mentioning as with the old smaller width I did not get the issue.

The car drives perfect otherwise and there is no evidence of rubbing or tyre wear, its just pulling out of a tight car park space I notice it, not when driving along.

My thoughts are that with the roads being so bad, my tracking alignment couldbe out? so I'm going to get this done on Friday (Tomorrow)

Let me know any ideas on what else it could be?

Thanks

Last edited by A1EK; 02-19-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by A1EK
This has been talked about before on the forum, but I cant find it.
The issue I have is I have got some new tyres for my car, and when I turn the steering wheel to nearly full lock and drive slowly there like a strange, thud, thud, thud from the tyre (NOT mechanical or power steering etc), until I begin to straighten the wheel again and it goes?. When this happens the car feels like its slipping slightly when turning.

The other point is that my new tryes are 235 x 40 x 18" and the old ones were 225 x 40 x 18", its hardly much of a difference but I thought it was worth mentioning as with the old smaller width I did not get the issue.

The car drives perfect otherwise and there is no evidence of rubbing or tyre wear, its just pulling out of a tight car park space I notice it, not when driving along.

My thoughts are that with the roads being so bad, my tracking alignment couldbe out? so I'm going to get this done on Friday (Tomorrow)

Let me know any ideas on what else it could be?

Thanks
More than likely the tire is hitting the knott that is behind it. if you look at the wheel area you wheel see a knot directly behind the top of your tire i think it ties one of the arms or something, look at it and if it looks shiny then there is your problem the tire is hitting that, i had a similar problem thats what it was, sometimes even when you use the exact same tire as before same sixze and everything this will happen because some tires have thicker meatier walls than the others.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Clk430
I have this same exact problem. i learned to live with it by not turning the wheel all the way. usually only happened when i was doing a U-turn. im gunna look into the knot your talking about. maybe some spacers would correct the problem? im riding on stock spec wheels and tires, and lowered on H&R springs.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CLK320,
the tires are skipping. if the tread is designed such that it doesn't allow flex in the tread itself when in a turn like you are describing the tire will actually hop. I noticed it the first time years ago when tires I had were worn and there was no tread flex in a tight backing turn. And, basically, the geometry of the wheel base is not allowing the front wheels to follow the track or circumference of the turn cleanly causing the steering wheels to hop or skip. try making a turn like that on a graveled or dirty hard surface. you will feel the front end actually slide and skip more and much easier than on dry pavement. Sounds like a good theory to me. maybe there are some math genius' out there to back me up.

Last edited by dlbehrns; 02-18-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2008 G55 AMG
My car does the same thing and has for a while. Im pretty low sitting on Vogtland springs with zero pads all around. With the stock tire and rim combo too. I just learned not to turn the wheel all the way either. Not too big of a deal. but it definitely feels like it really does hop!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
It happens because of camber. Not because your necessarily off camber; but because we are all lowered. If you turn to the lock the outside tire gets some pretty extreme angle on it. Happens to me all the time. Especially in the rain.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VIPclk320
More than likely the tire is hitting the knott that is behind it. if you look at the wheel area you wheel see a knot directly behind the top of your tire i think it ties one of the arms or something, look at it and if it looks shiny then there is your problem the tire is hitting that, i had a similar problem thats what it was, sometimes even when you use the exact same tire as before same sixze and everything this will happen because some tires have thicker meatier walls than the others.
Hi VIPCLK320

I take it you are referring to the NUT or Bolt at the 12 o'clock position on the suspension coil? I had thought this may have been the cause also, but there is no sign of it hitting the nut although it is close. What I will do is paint the nut with some paint and see if it wear off over a few days , then I will know !

Interesting what you said about the same tryes (tires) can give this issue. I think this is quite likely as the the new tires I have on are Bridgestone Potenza and they have a think tyre wall protection rim as part of the design.

Last edited by A1EK; 02-19-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Silv430ClkR
I have this same exact problem. i learned to live with it by not turning the wheel all the way. usually only happened when i was doing a U-turn. im gunna look into the knot your talking about. maybe some spacers would correct the problem? im riding on stock spec wheels and tires, and lowered on H&R springs.
I'm glad that this seems more common then I thought! I am thinking its down to the tyre design, as my old Hankooks did not give this problem. My car is also lowered but on Eibachs.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
the tires are skipping. if the tread is designed such that it doesn't allow flex in the tread itself when in a turn like you are describing the tire will actually hop. I noticed it the first time years ago when tires I had were worn and there was no tread flex in a tight backing turn. And, basically, the geometry of the wheel base is not allowing the front wheels to follow the track or circumference of the turn cleanly causing the steering wheels to hop or skip. try making a turn like that on a graveled or dirty hard surface. you will feel the front end actually slide and skip more and much easier than on dry pavement. Sounds like a good theory to me. maybe there are some math genius' out there to back me up.
Hi dlbehrns

Great info thanks ! It is deffinately a hopping feeling yeah!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by unlukky
It happens because of camber. Not because your necessarily off camber; but because we are all lowered. If you turn to the lock the outside tire gets some pretty extreme angle on it. Happens to me all the time. Especially in the rain.
Thanks 'unluckky'

Again its comforting that others have this and I will probably just live with not turning the wheel all the way! Its interesting though that my old tires were fine ¬! which could be to do with what was said about different makes not flexing as much. I only noticed on my old tires as they got old and the tread wore down that it started to 'hop'.

I'm getting my alignment done tomorrow so I will see if it makes a difference!

Thanks for the feedback guys !
Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
It definitely is a hop. It is much more pronounced when it is cold...nothing wrong!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
the tires are skipping. if the tread is designed such that it doesn't allow flex in the tread itself when in a turn like you are describing the tire will actually hop. I noticed it the first time years ago when tires I had were worn and there was no tread flex in a tight backing turn. And, basically, the geometry of the wheel base is not allowing the front wheels to follow the track or circumference of the turn cleanly causing the steering wheels to hop or skip.
You might be on to something.

I first noticed this sometimes happening, while making a tight backing turn, as my tires wore down.

Has not happened since I put on a new set of Michelins.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cindyclk
It definitely is a hop. It is much more pronounced when it is cold...nothing wrong!
I agree its more pronounced when cold, I think its the make of new tiresI have being Bridgestones, they seem harder ride,. I'll just wait till the summer !!