CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

specific tighting order on valve covers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
specific tighting order on valve covers

Hi everyone getting ready to change valve cover gaskets on my clk320. there is a nice write up on changing the gaskets but i have one question. when putting the valve covers back on is there a special squence on how to tighten the bolts. like the first bolt then the middle, and then the last, and so on and so on need help with this DYI project thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
If you use a crisscross pattern, you'll be fine.

If you're unsure what I mean by crisscross, then this order - The bolt to the upper right. The bolt to the lower left. The bolt to the lower right. The bolt to the upper left. The bolt just to the left of the upper right bolt. The bolt just to the right of the lower left bolt. The bolt just to the left of the lower right bolt. The bolt just to the right of the upper left bolt. And work your way around in that order.

Being of an excessively, or obsessively, orderly mindset, I'd make a second pass. Because of this, it takes me longer to do things than some people, but I usually don't have to wonder if the valve cover gasket is going to leak when I'm done.