CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP!! CLK430 Ignition key won't unlock car door!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB CLK 430 and 04 Infiniti G35
Smile HELP!! CLK430 Ignition key won't unlock car door!!

Question - My Mercedes key works sporadically when unlocking/locking the doors so I have to use the "valet" portion to unlock the doors - then the alarm sounds and then I have to jump in the car and start it to cut the alarm off.

I beleive the battery needs to be changed, but how do I open the key or can i open the key and replace the battery. Or am I off with my problem.

Any help would be great!!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 AM

2005 E500, 2002 CLK320
Take the metal part out and you use the metal part of the key to depress a little release in the place where the metal key came from. Once the switch is depressed you can hook your fingernail under the grooves in the plastic around where the metal part came from and you can pull the tray out that holds the battery. Sorry if that is a lame description but once you do it it will make more sense. I believe I discovered this procedue in the owners manual (can't remember)
Old 11-06-2013, 03:15 PM

2001 CLK 430
Hey there everyone
I'm new to this forum,and I would appreciate some good advice from you experts
I have a 2001 clk 430 V8, my key was stolen, I called the dealership, went there in person with my paperwork, they ordered one but its not working.
Here is what I did: insert the new key fob in the ignition, waiting for nothing.
The light on the remote did not eliminate, no click or zip usual sound, I waited for up to an hour for it to recognize they key with no results. I also went ahead and replaced my battery, just in case it was a low voltage thing, my windows rolled down and still are. As much as I hate it "out of respect for Benz" I had to place trash bags over the windows since its raining. Now is there anything I can do, or did not do at this point? The key fob won't lock or unlock my car either
My last chance is to tow the car, the closest dealership is 100 miles away.
Please let me know what I need to do! Thanks a lot!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 AM

clk320 and sl320 V6
Part of the deal is having the dealer synchronize the new key = you have no option but to take the car to the dealer to get it sorted out.

All to do with theft prevention.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
I don't believe that is the case actually.... The reason it's so difficult to get a key replacement (Paperwork in person) is so Joe Joe at Crooked Mercedes of Corruptionville can't sync a key to a customer's car and sell them to his buddy's chop shop. The key should come ready to go. Just search "W208 Chrome key" you'll find threads and threads about the key process, it doesn't require taking the car in.

Originally Posted by rorf
Part of the deal is having the dealer synchronize the new key = you have no option but to take the car to the dealer to get it sorted out.

All to do with theft prevention.