CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Completely Puzzled!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Completely Puzzled!!!!!!

Ok, so here's the deal, a few months ago I pulled my car out of the garage to take the trashe cans out, the car was sitting parked while still on, then it just shut off. Tried to restart it, wouldn't start. So, had it pushed back in the garage, and its been sitting pretty much since. Finally got around to fixing it a couple weeks ago. I took the alternator out, and had it tested, it was good, same with the battery. So I decided to go with my gut, and just replace the voltage regulator. Today, I put the alternator back in, went to start the car, and well it wants to start. So I've definitely made some progress in some respects.

Now, almost exactly a year ago, the fuel pump, the spark plugs, the cps were all replaced. I'm now needing to use my car, so I really need to get it fixed.

Any suggestions???
Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
It sounds like you have Fuel issues. Have you checked the main fuel pump fuse that located in the trunk? If that fuse went bad while it was on it would have made the car turn off suddenly. Its the big fuse located on the top right hand side of the trunk right next to the fuse box. It's on the left hand side of the fuse box and its a pretty big fuse. The voltage regulator only controls the voltage to all systems once the car has been started so I doubt that it was a problem to start with but at least you have a new Voltage regulator now.

This fuse usually starts to pop when the fuel pump is either starting to go out or the fuel filter is so dirty that its causing the pump to work extra hard thereby heating up the pump and blowing the fuse.

Greg
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 AM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
It sounds like you have Fuel issues. Have you checked the main fuel pump fuse that located in the trunk? If that fuse went bad while it was on it would have made the car turn off suddenly. Its the big fuse located on the top right hand side of the trunk right next to the fuse box. It's on the left hand side of the fuse box and its a pretty big fuse. The voltage regulator only controls the voltage to all systems once the car has been started so I doubt that it was a problem to start with but at least you have a new Voltage regulator now.

This fuse usually starts to pop when the fuel pump is either starting to go out or the fuel filter is so dirty that its causing the pump to work extra hard thereby heating up the pump and blowing the fuse.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I actually replaced that also, just forgot to mention it. When I had problems with it before I was trying the cheaper parts first. Do you know if our cars have a shrader valve on the fuel rails? I'm gonna see if there is any fuel in it, cuz maybe thats what it could be. I also attempted to swap the cps today, because I had the one I changed from before when I thought that was the problem, but of course, it wasn't. Ugh, tomorrow is another day.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Do you hear the pump kick on when you turn the key? I would check the fuel rail line for fuel pressure first and then I would have to check for spark on all the cables. I doubt this is the problem because a V8 should still start up even if a couple cylinders were dead. It will be a rough running V8 but it would still start.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
a lil OT...but do u do this work urself?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:10 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
a lil OT...but do u do this work urself?
Yes I do

There is some stuff I have help with, but hands are in there and get as dirty as yours probably would. It drives me crazy when people wont let me do it lol!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 PM

CLK 430
Do you hear the pump kick on when you turn the key? I would check the fuel rail line for fuel pressure first and then I would have to check for spark on all the cables. I doubt this is the problem because a V8 should still start up even if a couple cylinders were dead. It will be a rough running V8 but it would still start.

So I'm a little embarrassed about this, and I really hate to admit it, buuuut I added more gas to her this morning, and pow, she started up.

I guess I had less gas than I thought, and with the car sitting for a few months, it all went bye bye. But atleast now, I have something to reference to if something happens later down the line, aaaaand I have a cps handy if the one I put back goes bad lol!!!!

Biggest :facepalm: EVER!!!!!!!

Thanks for your suggestions and advice Greg, much appreciated!!!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
No prob and glad you figured her out, I knew it had to be a fuel issue LOL...But, we won't mention it again LOL

Greg
Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM

CLK 430
No prob and glad you figured her out, I knew it had to be a fuel issue LOL...But, we won't mention it again LOL

Greg
haha nope!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
Yes I do

There is some stuff I have help with, but hands are in there and get as dirty as yours probably would. It drives me crazy when people wont let me do it lol!
niceee pretty impressive lol
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
niceee pretty impressive lol
thaaaanks