CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Changing window trim??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to be a CLK430
Changing window trim??

Hey guys, I want to update my 99 to a MY00+...does anyone know how to change the chrome trim around the windows to black? I imagine you can just buy the parts from MB, but I don't know how to do it.
TIA!!!
Old 03-22-2003, 02:37 PM

MB SL55, MB S55, Porsche 997.1, BMW M6, BMW X5, Audi B8 S4
Yes, you can purchase the black trim from MB. The trim above the door is held in by plastic nuts. You will need to remove the door seals to access the nuts. The remaining trim is held in by clips. Personally, I hate dealing with the clips, it's tedious and can break if you don't take your time and use the proper technique.

If you are mechanically inclined, know how to remove the trim from the clips and have patience you could probably do it yourself. I've done this before and have considerable experience on these cars. This is not one of my favorate tasks to do. The upper door seal is a pain to put back in and have it properly aligned. It's been a while since I've worked around the back window. I'll take a look at it to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'll get back to you.

DC
Old 03-22-2003, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Thanks for the reply DC. Do you know if the trim is 1 piece - it looks like it's multiple currently. Can I reuse the same plastic nuts and clips? Also, do you know how much the parts will cost? I tried calling the dealer, but they are already closed.

I'm semi-mechanically inclined and have dealt with interior trim clips on my former GM vehicles(what a headache!) BTW, the back window is not framed at all, so just the side windows will need to be changed. Do you have any instructions how to remove the door seals?

I'm willing to take a shot at it, what's the worst that could happen....famous last words!

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2003, 12:13 AM

MB SL55, MB S55, Porsche 997.1, BMW M6, BMW X5, Audi B8 S4
Nick,
The side window frame is in two pieces. There's one piece over the top of the door and a "U" shaped frome for the rear side window. There's a splice between the two parts.

The seal is pulled out from either side. I usually use a clip remover to help it out. Yes, the plastic nuts can be reused. I've done a few without breaking the clips. Sorry, I don't know the cost of the parts.

If you were in SoCal I would help you. Good luck.

DC