CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Custom Center Console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 e320
Custom Center Console

Hey guys, thanks for all the input throughout the rest of the forums. I'm actually on here and a bunch of the other mbz forums. I see a bunch of you guys are also frequent visitors to the other forums as well.

So, I've been searching and searching for someone to address custom installs of the center console, and finally decided to post a topic to address my specific desires.

Have an '02 e320 and thinking about getting an '00 clk 55 amg and was wondering if you could swap the positions of the (top portion) climate controls + heated seats + etc. to the bottom portion of the console, and vice versa for the navigation. It looks to me that there is enough space (from the straight on look of things) to include the buttons and climate ctrls. to the bottom 2 compartments (if looking at an w208 without the navigation unit)...which would allow for me to move the entire setup from the top down. I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this, and i have yet to open up the center console to assess the viable options. I know there would need to be some custom-wood trim and fitting, but wanted to get some opinions on the feasibility of the project in regards to spacing/wiring. (thought i'd get some input first, especially from those of you that have done some custom console work and upgrades..)

I've always been a fan of the s class navigation/screens how they are up top, and was wondering if the w208 sizes would fit?!?! I know that they aren't exactly the same size/shape, etc., but was wondering if the wiring/setup allows for the position swapping (or is it too much of a hassle to consider?)

The w208's are my fav model out there, and am probably going to have to forget the idea since i honestly havent seen it addressed, or even pictured in anyone's installs.

I appreciate any advice and/or direction on where to start. I've included a basic image for simple reference to what I'm thinking about doing.

Last edited by benzis; 03-16-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 AM

02 e320
bBlackbenz?

Hey,

I hold some of the highest respect for you mods and your taste. Was wondering if you might have heard of anyone trying this mod, or if you yourself have tried/thought about this mod possibility?

Anyone else care to chime in?

**bump
Old 03-17-2010, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
i'm probably one of the ones that has taken the w208 apart many times. the center concel i can gurantee you that what you want to it wouldn't work because of few reasons:
1. the top piece (wood) is a different shape and wider
2. behind that wood piece that holds the climate control there is a reinforcement bar that the dash sits on that is impossible to move because of the integrity of the structure, there for a sigle din unit wouldn't go in all the way the double din is impossible. you can take the cliamte control out and change it to the existing stereo position and put your stereo in place of the climate control but the stereo would not go in all the way it would hang out by about 1/2 inch.

3.also you can't move the seat heater switches and the rest to the bottom as the wires are not long enough.

the only option you really have is to change around the following parts places:
climate control, stereo(single din) and the pocket can all be moved around and they all clip in place.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:08 AM

02 e320
hey vip, thanks for the reply.
i was thinking that there must have been some reason people weren't switching around the center console positions.
I knew about the different wood trim sizes/shapes. I was hoping to do a custom wood trim project. but now i see that the space doesnt really allow for much movement.

appreciate the input, i'll have to figure something else out to move the navigation/dvd up closer to eye-level.

thanks again.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by benzis
Hey,

I hold some of the highest respect for you mods and your taste. Was wondering if you might have heard of anyone trying this mod, or if you yourself have tried/thought about this mod possibility?

Anyone else care to chime in?

**bump
Thanks! I haven't really paid attention when I've had that piece off so I would go with what VIP says
Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM

02 e320
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Thanks! I haven't really paid attention when I've had that piece off so I would go with what VIP says
thanks bbz
know anyone in so-cal that you'd recommend for some body work? (i.e.: fenders, custom amg front/back amg kits)
Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
Autobahn coach works, they are in torrance ca on hawthorne blvd and torrance blvd. call (310)214-8787 and ask for tony he is the owner and tell him ask sent you he'll take good care of you he does all my body work and mods and helps me with my one off bumpers. If you are lucky you get to see my new custom front bumper that ive been working on with the new e63 led fog lights before anyone else. lol
Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by benzis
thanks bbz
know anyone in so-cal that you'd recommend for some body work? (i.e.: fenders, custom amg front/back amg kits)
Sorry I live on the other coast (Maryland), I can't recommend anyone in socal for you
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 PM

2002 CLK 320
there was a previous chat about this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...r-console.html
Old 03-18-2010, 04:34 PM

02 e320
j_terron
thanks for the link. I didnt see it before, and even did a forum search for center/ center console / dash etc.

thanks. That's similar to what i want to do, but now i see that a screen will work, but as for the heaters, emergency lights, etc. i think i may try out a few extensions and see how i can retrofit it. It most likely is going to be all custom work.

thanks again VIP and terron and bbz for the input. i'll let you guys know how it goes